By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's E3 summed up in 1 word

Surprise

Seriously. Just this morning, i sat down to my laptop and, in the beginning of the liveblog thread on joystiq, typed up my predictions calling for Wii Fit Plus, a Factor 5 game, a Retro Studios game, and Pikmin 3. Of those, only one of them occurred. But instead, we get stuff that few people predicted. We had heard Nintendo speaking of a possible sequel to Mario Galaxy, but i don't think anyone saw it coming so quick.

Everyone, pretty much everyone figured Pikmin 3 was a slam-dunk, practically guaranteed safe bet. And now there's nothing. Retro Studios' game has been deflected. But then there's NSMB Wii, and especially Metroid: Other M. That one really came out of left field. Golden Sun 3 was a big question mark.

Anyone think similarly? Everything from the conference was either old news (Wii Sports Resort, The Conduit, Crystal Bearers, Dead Space, RE:DC), or was a total surprise.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Sounds about right.

I had expected Zelda, Pikmin and Retro's game.

I'm not disappointed in the slightest, just it wasn't what I'd expected.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

Yeah, I didn't expect any of those games. Especially Metroid.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

This is exactly what each company wants to do, too. While great announcements are definitely a good thing, great announcements theat no one sees coming are better. They generate much more talk, hype, press, etc. The story of E3 last year was FF XIII going to X360 despite equally impressive games being shown because that move specifically wasn't expected.

I was very surprised. I suspected Mario Galaxy 2, but NSMB Wii is way different than I expected. A 4 player co-op mario is badass though. The best part was the mind blowing metroid trailer.

Support good third party games on wii. Buy games like house of the dead overkill, de blob, madworld, the conduit and boom blox.

Around the Network

Agreed. Surprise is the best word to summarize it with.

Metroid and SMB4 were very unexpected, but SMG2 was as good as confirmed. I certainly wasn't surprised to see it.

SWEET

not exactly a summary but a reaction.

I thought New Super Mario Bros. Wii was the new Mario so I was slightly dissapointed, then Galaxy 2 was announced and I cried tears of joy.

Surprise is probably the most accurate way to describe Nintendo's conference.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Wasnt expecting anying but the new mario. i thought it was going to be like last years except without an allways smiling hyper cammie who which IMO did a not so bad presentation. I never expected a new metroid title which was the only anouncement that blew me away. IMO i thought this was going suck til the metroid and mario came.