By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who will have a better library? Wii or Playstation 2

BMaker11 said:
Arius Dion said:
YesWiiCan: Your next thread should be a comparison 2.5 yrs in, between the two consoles in question. Also I think people have rose colored glasses when looking back at the history of the PS2. Yes it had great games like MGS2, but for every great game there were heaps of Spongebobs and bob the builder or christina aguilera's karaoke master.

Why is it that all of a sudden the crap games on Wii are the ones that get trumpeted the most by ppl who dont like the system? Like they bring up cooking mama as if there isn't a game by the name of Mario Galaxy, or Metroid Prime Corruption.

Because staple Nintendo franchises aren't gonna make the library look great. Besides your typical Nintendo franchises and a few good 3rd party games, what else is there? Crap, that's what. Whereas the PS2 had all it's great 1st party games, and many many GREAT 3rd party game. There was so much offered on both ends that the shovelware was an afterthought.

The only thing different about the Wii now, and the Gamecube is that since it's the marketleader, it gets most of the crap, but the library (outside of the crap) isn't that great, comparatively (to the PS2 or the HD consoles). I'd dare say they're all just updated Gamecube games (barring all the "Wii" titled games)

Are you kidding me?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
volrath50 said:
dahuman said:
volrath50 said:
dahuman said:
Bman54 said:
You can't count the GC's library as part of Wii's library. They're two separate consoles, the Wii just has backwards compatibility for it.

As for your question, I can't really tell. They both have a ton of games but a majority of them are crap. I'm going to say Wii just because I like it's first party titles way more.

but I thought the Wii was 2 Gamecubes duck taped together!

Dammit, where's my 8 player split screen games?!

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/04/02/archer-macleans-new-wii-racer-is-crazy-for-controllers/

cha chin!

http://www.detn8games.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=50

My god, it IS two gamecubes duct taped together.

Of course, this isn't the first time I've made a joke comment only to have it be real and bite me in the ass... :)

lol like anybody would really buy that? sadly a lot of people probably will......

Arius Dion said:
BMaker11 said:
Arius Dion said:
YesWiiCan: Your next thread should be a comparison 2.5 yrs in, between the two consoles in question. Also I think people have rose colored glasses when looking back at the history of the PS2. Yes it had great games like MGS2, but for every great game there were heaps of Spongebobs and bob the builder or christina aguilera's karaoke master.

Why is it that all of a sudden the crap games on Wii are the ones that get trumpeted the most by ppl who dont like the system? Like they bring up cooking mama as if there isn't a game by the name of Mario Galaxy, or Metroid Prime Corruption.

Because staple Nintendo franchises aren't gonna make the library look great. Besides your typical Nintendo franchises and a few good 3rd party games, what else is there? Crap, that's what. Whereas the PS2 had all it's great 1st party games, and many many GREAT 3rd party game. There was so much offered on both ends that the shovelware was an afterthought.

The only thing different about the Wii now, and the Gamecube is that since it's the marketleader, it gets most of the crap, but the library (outside of the crap) isn't that great, comparatively (to the PS2 or the HD consoles). I'd dare say they're all just updated Gamecube games (barring all the "Wii" titled games)

Are you kidding me?

yes he's kidding, no rational person would say "Nintendo franchises doesn't make a library look great" since they have some of the most awesome games =P.

dahuman said:
BMaker11 said:
jellyfishprince said:
wii because of wii sports, wii music, wii fit and carnival games IMO .. thes eare all games that could never be possible on the ps2

Are you serious? No, really. Are you serious? Because if you are.....

Slap yourself

well, he's kinda right in some aspects since you use the Wiimote for those and PS2 didn't have any controller that's like the Wiimote.

Well..this is a thread about which system will have the better library. Too Human, Lair, Mario and Sonic, etc aren't possible on the PS2, but that's not something to brag about......

BMaker11 said:
Arius Dion said:

this part made me lol. If the Wii is only updated gamecube games, then aren't all the HD games just updated version of PS2 games? So that nulifies their entire libraries too.

Also, if you can't count Nintendo first party, why do you get to count Sony and Microsoft first party?

talk about stacking the odds in favor of your favorite console and not even remotely doing a fair comparison. A great game is a great game no matter if it is 1st or 3rd party, and both count toward the greatness of the consoles game library. Also, shovelware is an afterthought on the Wii too as there are more than enough great games. I'm yet to want a game and not be able to find something good. Only the detractors of consoles focus on the shovelware.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
BMaker11 said:
Arius Dion said:

Are you kidding me?

Ok...in terms of this thread, you think the Gamecube had a better library than the PS2, right? It had a Mario, a Zelda, a Metroid, a Smash Brothers, a Pokemon, a Pikmin, a Mario Kart, etc. Like I said, the Wii just has updated versions of these games, so people just kind of "expect" them to be there on the system. So, when looking for something else, all they see is the shovelware

Oh wow, this argument again?

Different people are going to have different value metrics by which they will measure a system's library. Metacritic is less than meaningless.

There are many metrics by which the Wii's current library is already better than the PS2's entire library during its entire lifetime up to now.

BMaker11 said:
dahuman said:
BMaker11 said:
jellyfishprince said:
wii because of wii sports, wii music, wii fit and carnival games IMO .. thes eare all games that could never be possible on the ps2

Are you serious? No, really. Are you serious? Because if you are.....

Slap yourself

well, he's kinda right in some aspects since you use the Wiimote for those and PS2 didn't have any controller that's like the Wiimote.

Well..this is a thread about which system will have the better library. Too Human, Lair, Mario and Sonic, etc aren't possible on the PS2, but that's not something to brag about......

well then I stand on my original thing, this gen isn't over yet, so we can't possibly judge right now, but currently, PS2 wins easily but you know, no shit.

ps2, no comparision

Khuutra said:
Oh wow, this argument again?

Different people are going to have different value metrics by which they will measure a system's library. Metacritic is less than meaningless.

There are many metrics by which the Wii's current library is already better than the PS2's entire library during its entire lifetime up to now.

I'm a JRPG whore so if Wii can catch up to PS2 lvl on that, then it's already a win, but of course there are better games in certain genres that are already better on the Wii than the PS2, and this gen isn't even over yet.