By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Foaming At Mouth Nintendo Hatred" (A Malstrom Article).

Torillian said:
He's just so blatantly biased, it hurts to read it. It's like when JohnLucas writes articles. The guy puts a good amount of thought behind it, but it is clear to me that he is working towards a conclusion he wants and putting together evidence to make it so, and not looking at evidence and making a conclusion from there.

A fun history fact: That's exactly what many detractors said about Darwin's theory of evolution, and look at how wrong they were.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network

Malstrom you SOB you did it again!

griffinA said:
Torillian said:
He's just so blatantly biased, it hurts to read it. It's like when JohnLucas writes articles. The guy puts a good amount of thought behind it, but it is clear to me that he is working towards a conclusion he wants and putting together evidence to make it so, and not looking at evidence and making a conclusion from there.

A fun history fact: That's exactly what many detractors said about Darwin's theory of evolution, and look at how wrong they were.

The fact that you just compared this guy to Darwin is mind bogling, I honestly took a bit just to think about the implication.

Regardless, if Malstrom ends up right then yipdee doo he can be in textbooks with his "Disruption", but I still won't think he went about his conclusions the correct way.  Perhaps I'd say the same if I was around in Darwin's time.  Just because someone ends up guessing correctly doesn't mean his conclusions were not biased in the first place.

This guy needs to take a good look at the wii library through the years and he will see why so many people are turning away.

I'll put it in terms he can understand:

The "casuals" just don't understand real gaming. The "casuals" are content playing 20 year old games on the VC (as you are, apparently), and not very concerned about titles coming out this day and age. The wii sells so much because motion sensing is the cool tech right now. And honestly there will always be a cool slice of the video game market for it. I have a feeling the "casuals" want the same old franchises over and over and over. The "hardcore" just don't get the satisfaction of playing "game party" "mario party" "we party" "redneck jubilee" "fun jobs" "Carnival games" and "crayola adventures" either.
Instead we get games that use a stupid CONTROLLER instead of an almost no screen lag remote.
Darn.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Torillian said:
griffinA said:
Torillian said:

The fact that you just compared this guy to Darwin is mind bogling, I honestly took a bit just to think about the implication.

Regardless, if Malstrom ends up right then yipdee doo he can be in textbooks with his "Disruption", but I still won't think he went about his conclusions the correct way.  Perhaps I'd say the same if I was around in Darwin's time.  Just because someone ends up guessing correctly doesn't mean his conclusions were not biased in the first place.

I didn't compare Malstrom to Darwin. All I said is that argument has been used before.

Arguing for a specific conclusion and backing it up with facts is not guessing.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network

@ griffinA )

Darwin always made clear that what he was writing was a theory and hypothizing based on countless of examples he found in the nature.

Malstrom on the other hand is talking in "facts". I can related to many of his statements, but because he never seems to use indications of opinion based speech it makes me feel like he is "preaching" it instead of presenting and discussing it.

The "nobody but Nintendo (and maybe Sega) got the D-pad right" part makes this all too clear.

Lafiel said:
@ griffinA )

The "nobody but Nintendo (and maybe Sega) got the D-pad right" part makes this all too clear.

Well he's right?! Tell me another gamepad that was as good as the Nintendo ones!

gamecube was their best console :(.

griffinA said:
Torillian said:
griffinA said:
Torillian said:

I didn't compare Malstrom to Darwin. All I said is that argument has been used before.

Arguing for a specific conclusion and backing it up with facts is not guessing.

and the masses also wanted Barabbas, what's the point?

@ Bobbuffalo )

Ohh I'm very pleased with the Playstation pads and their D-pad, although I played with NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube and various PC-pads before holding a PS pad in my hands for the first time.

His opinion here is not a "fact", but a personal preference (as is yours), but he presented it as one, which I feel is disturbing, especially because people like you say "he is right" without adding any condition or indication of opinion either.

Another thing is that he used this to (indirectly) say "Nintendo got motion controls right and other companies will never get it right", but personally I don't think Ninty got motion controls "right" just yet.
I really like the concept, but it's current gen execution (from Sony and Nintendo sides) feels immature ( too laggy, too imprecise ) and thus frustrating to me, which is why I'm hoping the next gen of consoles will have more sophisticated versions (or maybe WM+ will have that effect).