By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Foaming At Mouth Nintendo Hatred" (A Malstrom Article).

Hate him or love him, he's always an interesting read.  http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/05/29/email-foaming-at-mouth-nintendo-hatred/

“why i’ve stopped respecting this industry”

did you hear about the ps3 making sales in japan for like 2-3 months and everyone were saying this is it as sony’s ps3 will now dominate.  even my sister said that nintendo is failing and i was really confused as to why so many people believed this.  there was even an article [could be from kotaku] where they said that what occurs in japan will likely occur everywhere.  there are two problems that i see with this, 1) is that the 360 is third in japan yet it’s in second place in other regions and 2) is that nintendo has proven that the direction they’re heading for is fruitful as they have managed sales for 3 year.  yet when the ps3 gain sales for 2-3 months as compared to 3years, it is all glory for the ps3.  it eventually goes back to 2006 with the wii being a gimmick and fad.  btw, there are people who still consider it a gimmick and fad.

The PS3 sales jump is as simple as they got some good software coming out for it, at that time,, and Wii didn’t have anything at that time. It should demonstrate how important the ‘software conveyor belt’ is, so to say.

the industry has really gotten bad and i’m glad that you also have that same stand.  you could simply get an understanding of the industry and where it is heading if things don’t change from this interview, http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-49-invisible-walls/46982 .

I did go through watching that… video. I am watching it as I type this.

If there was any real argument, real thought, real discussion, this is what would occur. When someone says third party companies cannot make money on Wii, people buy only Nintendo games, someone would eventually point to this little thing called the DS which is overflowing with third party games. The reason why DS is attacked like the Wii is because Microsoft is not competing against the DS as they are against the Wii. This is why the handheld gaming space, aside from when the PSP and DS launched, has been tranquil and peaceful, while the console scene keeps getting silly talk. Another obvious talking point is saying that ‘the Xbox 360 game can be ported to PS3 and PC’ in an attempt to mean to imply there are three times the market than is on Wii since there are three platforms. Nevermind the fact that much of those installed bases overlap and people will only buy one for their platform. People do not buy a game for Xbox 360 and then simultaneously buy that same exact game for their PS3 and PC.

How do I know that these were man children? Real publishers, and I mean the adults behind the business, are always console agnostic. There is no ‘rage’ at a platform because that is just silly. A platform is just a place to put the game.

Now as I listen further (watching it as I type this), usually people who spew the talking point stuff do so quite emotionlessly. But these guys seem *angry*. It is as if Nintendo ran over their dog, back up, and did it again.

Before the Wii launch, there was someone showing off this little game he made. I made the suggestion he should try to get it on Nintendo’s download service. This suggestion made him go into a rant and begin spewing tons of stuff about Nintendo. The rant had nothing to do with business or finances, it was the topic of Nintendo just made him go into pure rage. It was the first time I had ever seen anything like that.

Allow me to steal an analogy from another writer: http://www.pheasnt.demon.co.uk/Pheasant/Babylon5.html

The theory is one that works best by analogy. There is an organisation called the Roman Catholic Church. Over the past two thousand years it has done many things, some of which now appear shameful. Many people remain members of it, find that it makes sense of their lives and do good things because they are part of it. Yet there are people who were once part of this organisation, and have left it. And these people are the most vociferous critics of the Roman Catholic Church. Attacking the Pope is morally good. Good works done by Catholics are wrong, simply because they are done by Catholics. Anything wrong done by a catholic is latched onto a proof that the entire edifice is corrupt, and the Pope should be strung up from the nearest lamp post. No matter the topic of conversation, sooner or later it’ll turn round to the evils of Catholicism. You know the type. If you’re unlucky, you’ll have been stuck in a lift with one. Lapsed Catholics. Lovely people some of them, but for God’s sake don’t talk about religion.

The so-called ‘hardcore’ are made up of mostly lapsed-Nintendo fans. They used to play Nintendo, but for whatever reason stopped. Now they play ‘hardcore’ games. Hardcore gamers. Lovely people some of them, but for God’s sake don’t talk about Nintendo.

There is a hilarious quote in there about one guy, on saying how ‘wrong’ Nintendo’s strategy is (haha), saying, “Nintendo has decided to find a niche little mainstream audience.” How can a niche be mainstream? Hahahaha. ”Don’t expect the entire game industry to get on their knees and blow Nintendo because they have changed the entire porting mechanism.” Hahaha, this is a real quote! More funny is that Nintendo did everything these clowns are asking for with the Gamecube. Gamecube had the power and graphics and was very easy to port games. “Wii’s huge mass market is where old people and little kids play.” Hahaha, these quotes are so embarrassing, but they don’t even know it which makes it so delicious! Listening to it more, wow, lots of cussing, how classy. It is amazing how the tone changes when the subject goes off Nintendo.

Nintendo didn’t abandon the hardcore. The hardcore abandoned Nintendo. The N64 and Gamecube consoles are the proof.

i bought a ps3 system several weeks ago to play resident evil 5 and street fighter 4.  boy did they feel old and archaic especially resident evil 5.  when compared with the controllers of resident evil 5 to the resident evil 4 wii controllers, i could honestly say that it was not fun playing that game.  there were other aspects of which made resident evil 5 uninspiring though.  i bought other games and there weren’t good but mediocre yet many reviewers, even gamers, gave it such high marks.  the developers told me to screw myself when i could not adjust the layout of the controller for burnout paradise. 

I am hearing from many people who are saying exactly what you are above. The companies that rely on these sort of games, to be ported to several systems, to be graphical showcases, I would call them integrated game companies because they are so integrated with Next Generation. Epic Games is a good example because of Unreal Engine 3. After that huge investment, they will not make anything but Unreal Engine 3 games. They are integrated in Next Generation.

What we are seeing is Nintendo is building a new games industry on the foundation of the expanded market. As the interfaces improve, more and more gamers will be drawn to it. Interface upgrades are noticed big time by consumers, graphic upgrades no longer are.

There has to be huge fear that people like yourself are not mere ‘Nintendo fanboys’. Their fear is that the general market will like and want to stick with motion controls instead of the thrice-ported—explosions-in-HD game.

I can see why they are so worried. Ever since the NES of twenty years ago, no game company could even get the classic controller right except, perhaps, Sega. Without question, the D-pad is the best done on a Nintendo controller. If the other console companies couldn’t get the freaking D-pad right, you know they will never get motion controls right.

lastly, i loved it seeing those old nintendo power front covers.  it brought back memories that i had from the first time we bought an nes super mario/duck hunt package and growing up playing those other great nintendo nes games.  looking back and knowing what i know now and what i didn’t sure made me feel sorry for missing so many  great classics.

it was great seeing you post some stuff on your site and now know why.  hopefully you’ll write again after the e3 show in the first week of june. 

Why are you sorry for missing so many great classics? There is the Virtual Console where you can play the games you missed! Well, many of them at least. I missed out on Startropics, and I’m currently trying to play through that.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Right as always. I stopped reading videogame magazines for that same reason.

I thought he had stopped writing about the game industry.

He came out of hiatus. He is the man.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Nintendo:

Around the Network

I love that dog

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

I agree about the GC.

In my view the Cube was Nintendo's attempt at following Sony/MS.... it clearly didn't work very well.

He's just so blatantly biased, it hurts to read it. It's like when JohnLucas writes articles. The guy puts a good amount of thought behind it, but it is clear to me that he is working towards a conclusion he wants and putting together evidence to make it so, and not looking at evidence and making a conclusion from there.

i dk if they were copying Sony/MS. I didn't buy the Gamecube bcoz Luigi's Mansion wasn't for me and the PS2 was more to my taste design wise while i was shopping (+ dvd playback). In fact what i did was skip the whole gen. anyway but this example alone proves that the other consoles were different to GC.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Oh theres a thread on Gaf asking what don't you want to see at E3. A few responses said anything on Wii that SHOULD be on PS360. That pretty much sums up core consumer attitudes, Sony and Microsoft did a fantastic and manipultive job on them clearly.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.