By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Erik rants. Today: "The PS3 is not the N64!"

One thing people just don't seem to understand about Nintendo is that they succeed even when they "lose" the race. The N64 got creamed in NA? Let's take a look at the top-selling games of the N64, PS1, Saturn generation in North America (taken from this site): 1) Super Mario 64 2) Goldeneye 007 3) Mario Kart 64 4) Ocarina of Time 5) Gran Turismo If that's not a sweep, then I don't know what is. Some third-party developers were focused on what they wanted to do with optical drives (FMV, redbook audio), and ditched Nintendo. But the ones who did develop for the N64 on the "limited" cartridge format were successful. In the N64's final year, Nintendo raked in more dough than any other publisher except EA, and they've been among the top three publishers ever since, despite the "failure" of the Gamecube. Sony should be happy if the PS3 is their N64. The only way the N64 "failed" was that it was a blow to Nintendo's reputation. Thus far, the PS3 seems not to be Sony's most popular idea, but if it's as profitable to them as the N64 was to Nintendo, their shareholders won't care about popularity.

Around the Network

Entroper said: One thing people just don't seem to understand about Nintendo is that they succeed even when they "lose" the race. The N64 got creamed in NA? Let's take a look at the top-selling games of the N64, PS1, Saturn generation in North America (taken from this site): 1) Super Mario 64 2) Goldeneye 007 3) Mario Kart 64 4) Ocarina of Time 5) Gran Turismo If that's not a sweep, then I don't know what is. Some third-party developers were focused on what they wanted to do with optical drives (FMV, redbook audio), and ditched Nintendo. But the ones who did develop for the N64 on the "limited" cartridge format were successful. In the N64's final year, Nintendo raked in more dough than any other publisher except EA, and they've been among the top three publishers ever since, despite the "failure" of the Gamecube. Sony should be happy if the PS3 is their N64. The only way the N64 "failed" was that it was a blow to Nintendo's reputation. Thus far, the PS3 seems not to be Sony's most popular idea, but if it's as profitable to them as the N64 was to Nintendo, their shareholders won't care about popularity.
Yes ,Nintendo users buy mainly NIntendo games ,and as that makes third party companies drop support at last they can only buy Nintendo software .....and from there comes the big numbers .Dont make me wrong ,those games sold a lot .Its just that only Nintendo benefits from its success ,it is happening nearly the same with the DS right now .Third parties have grow and got profit under Sony model of market ,not under Nintendo one .Thats why Playstation ultimately will have more games ,and thats why it will ultimately win .

I doubt the PS3 will sell as many units as the N64 did. 40m is a pretty good bit.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

HappySqurriel said: I hate to point out the obvious fact ... Most people who bought an XBox and Gamecube also owned a PS2 ... and if you look at the sales it becomes that most people agree with the statement "Its nice but not worth $600"
Here in Europe the statement it's more like "It's nice and probably worth it but I DON'T HAVE 600€ to spend on a console". I have a PS2 and 90% of people here in Portugal. Gamecube sold about 10.000 units here. Playstation is the ruler. When Wii came out people talked about "the new playstation" because, for the majority, "playstation" means "console". And in terms of advertising you see lots of signs for pre orders of the ps3 but... it's too damn expensive for most of the families here. As an example, the minimum wage here is 400€. In the rest of Europe it's way bigger, but not everyone that has a PS2 is able to afford a PS3 unless he starts to save now for Christmas.

I don´t know why everyone is expecting the PS3 will sell that much in europe. I know it is the biggest market for Sony so far - but just because of games like Sing Star and Eye Toy and the cheap price of the PS2. Many many people say the Wii is to expensive and I know 3 people who want to buy a Wii as soon as the price drops to 199. So yes it IS the price that makes it difficult for the PS3 to catch up to the Wii. Maybe the first shipment will be sold out soon but it´s not about the hardcore fans who buy a system at day one - it´s about the other gamers and they don´t buy a system for 600 Euro which is even more expensive than 600 Dollars. Imagine the PS3 would be priced at 650 Dollars in the US. Probably the sales would be 30k less every month. And 600 Euro is 650 Dollars. And even more important: There is no Sing Star or Buzz for the casual gamers - and when this games arrive... well they will probably fail cause nobody want´s to play a singstar title for more than 700 Dollars.

Around the Network

r2007 said: HappySqurriel said: I hate to point out the obvious fact ... Most people who bought an XBox and Gamecube also owned a PS2 ... and if you look at the sales it becomes that most people agree with the statement "Its nice but not worth $600" Here in Europe the statement it's more like "It's nice and probably worth it but I DON'T HAVE 600€ to spend on a console".
There is a large difference in those two statements. I really think people complaining about what the PS3, 360 and/or Wii is actually worth are just pushing their own personal opinions instead of being rational about it. Entroper, take a look at this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best_selling_video_games#Nintendo_64 Then scroll down the page to the PS1 numbers and do a comparison. Trust me whan I say this that the PS1 printed money for sony.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Louie said: I don´t know why everyone is expecting the PS3 will sell that much in europe. I know it is the biggest market for Sony so far - but just because of games like Sing Star and Eye Toy and the cheap price of the PS2. Many many people say the Wii is to expensive and I know 3 people who want to buy a Wii as soon as the price drops to 199. So yes it IS the price that makes it difficult for the PS3 to catch up to the Wii. Maybe the first shipment will be sold out soon but it´s not about the hardcore fans who buy a system at day one - it´s about the other gamers and they don´t buy a system for 600 Euro which is even more expensive than 600 Dollars. Imagine the PS3 would be priced at 650 Dollars in the US. Probably the sales would be 30k less every month. And 600 Euro is 650 Dollars. And even more important: There is no Sing Star or Buzz for the casual gamers - and when this games arrive... well they will probably fail cause nobody want´s to play a singstar title for more than 700 Dollars.
Seriously speaking if you are going to pony up $600 for a system very few will be deterred by an additional $50. As far as casual games go flow, blast factor, MK II and many more should appeal to those who are not hardcore. Upcoming to this is the fact that they are working on making PS1 downloads that you can play on the PSP, home, singstar, calling all cars is all coming around october. The PS3 doesn't revolve around casual gamers but there is something there for them. And I have handed the controller to a couple of my casual gamer friends and the enjoy motorstorm and fighting it out on VF5. Casual gamers can be attracted to the normal line up of games on every system as well. I see this casual gamers arguement is going to be a sticking point for some crowds.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

HappySqurriel said: I hate to point out the obvious fact ... Most people who bought an XBox and Gamecube also owned a PS2 ... and if you look at the sales it becomes that most people agree with the statement "Its nice but not worth $600"
Couldn't agree less. I think the big problem for sony isn't the those like me that only own a GC, which aren't buying a PS3. I mean they didn't have me last time either. The problem is those of my friends that is PS2 fans that don't think ps3 is worth 700€.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

staticneuron said: Louie said: I don´t know why everyone is expecting the PS3 will sell that much in europe. I know it is the biggest market for Sony so far - but just because of games like Sing Star and Eye Toy and the cheap price of the PS2. Many many people say the Wii is to expensive and I know 3 people who want to buy a Wii as soon as the price drops to 199. So yes it IS the price that makes it difficult for the PS3 to catch up to the Wii. Maybe the first shipment will be sold out soon but it´s not about the hardcore fans who buy a system at day one - it´s about the other gamers and they don´t buy a system for 600 Euro which is even more expensive than 600 Dollars. Imagine the PS3 would be priced at 650 Dollars in the US. Probably the sales would be 30k less every month. And 600 Euro is 650 Dollars. And even more important: There is no Sing Star or Buzz for the casual gamers - and when this games arrive... well they will probably fail cause nobody want´s to play a singstar title for more than 700 Dollars. Seriously speaking if you are going to pony up $600 for a system very few will be deterred by an additional $50. As far as casual games go flow, blast factor, MK II and many more should appeal to those who are not hardcore. Upcoming to this is the fact that they are working on making PS1 downloads that you can play on the PSP, home, singstar, calling all cars is all coming around october. The PS3 doesn't revolve around casual gamers but there is something there for them. And I have handed the controller to a couple of my casual gamer friends and the enjoy motorstorm and fighting it out on VF5. Casual gamers can be attracted to the normal line up of games on every system as well. I see this casual gamers arguement is going to be a sticking point for some crowds.
Well for me 50 Dollars/Euro/whateveritisinyen is much. Even if I buy a PS3. It is all about what the price looks like: 599 sounds much nicer than 649 but where I live people always try to save money and 599 Euros sounds MUCH harder for a european than 599 Dollars sounds for an american. That´s the truth. EDIT: games are more expensive in europe, too. We get a PS2 game for 55 Euro and a PS3 game will cost as much as 62,99 Euro (don´t ask...) which is... about 70 dollars? And most european households don´t own HDTV´s. So the price sounds even higher...

staticneuron said: Seriously speaking if you are going to pony up $600 for a system very few will be deterred by an additional $50. As far as casual games go flow, blast factor, MK II and many more should appeal to those who are not hardcore. Upcoming to this is the fact that they are working on making PS1 downloads that you can play on the PSP, home, singstar, calling all cars is all coming around october. The PS3 doesn't revolve around casual gamers but there is something there for them. And I have handed the controller to a couple of my casual gamer friends and the enjoy motorstorm and fighting it out on VF5. Casual gamers can be attracted to the normal line up of games on every system as well. I see this casual gamers arguement is going to be a sticking point for some crowds.
Well ... Technically speaking 600€ is approximately $790 (US) ... But you're correct, if you're willing to spend $600 on a system $50 or $100 more probably won't prevent you from buying the system. The problem is the bulk of gamers are willing to spend $200 on a videogame system and $400 or $590 will prevent you from buying a system.