By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPGFan May Editorial - Where did the RPG villains go?

Oh yeah, definitely. There's a lot there that could have been very good. That's kind of the way I felt about the entire game.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Oh yeah, definitely. There's a lot there that could have been very good. That's kind of the way I felt about the entire game.

thats the way i feel about the entire series.

If you want a bad-ass with real motivations, take a look at Saren in Mass Effect.

The RPGs are evolving. It's a very good thing.
No more kiddie rpgs like in the past (Good versus bad, black and white situations). Gray zones FTW!

More mature plots and moral choices.
Bioware, the leader in next-generation RPGs.

My Gaming Setup

Neoraf said:
If you want a bad-ass with real motivations, take a look at Saren in Mass Effect.

The RPGs are evolving. It's a very good thing.
No more kiddie rpgs like in the past (Good versus bad, black and white situations). Gray zones FTW!

More mature plots and moral choices.
Bioware, the leader in next-generation RPGs.

In the first place, I get the feeling that this is primarily about JRPGs.

In the second place.... WRPGs don't really fit this, and I get the feeling you haven't been playing them for very long because they have long, long been known for moral grey areas.

Obsidian 4 lyfe, y'all.

Around the Network

Oh... so now WRPGs are not RPGs anymore?
strange...

JRPGs are just a subdivision of RPGs... just like WRPGs, or SRPGs, ARPGs...
We are talking about RPGs.

My Gaming Setup

Yes I am well aware of the semantics, thank you. That does not change the fact that the discussion is primarily about JRPGs, the article cites only JRPGs, and the villain archetypes here are, you guessed it, primarily Japanese.

Though I still get the impression you don't play many WRPGs.

Khuutra said:
Yes I am well aware of the semantics, thank you. That does not change the fact that the discussion is primarily about JRPGs, the article cites only JRPGs, and the villain archetypes here are, you guessed it, primarily Japanese.

Though I still get the impression you don't play many WRPGs.

I believe he's part of the group that thinks Mass Effect is the best thing since sliced bread. (bah I couldn't think of anything original)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I tried Fallout3, didn't like it... After playing Mass Effect, every RPG seems... well, I don't know how to describe it...
I hate the Fallout3 dialogue design, you don't ear yourself when talking.

I loved Jade Empire at the time.
I loved Shenmue1 & 2 (the most "WRPG"-like game from Japan, weird isn't it?)

My Gaming Setup

Neoraf said:
I tried Fallout3, didn't like it... After playing Mass Effect, every RPG seems... well, I don't know how to describe it...
I hate the Fallout3 dialogue design, you don't ear yourself when talking.

I loved Jade Empire at the time.
I loved Shenmue1 & 2 (the most "WRPG"-like game from Japan, weird isn't it?)

I really don't think you're going to impress Khuutra with such meagre experience dude.  Hell, I preferred JRPG's over WRPG's alot and I've played more than you if what you wrote is complete and accurate.