By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPGFan May Editorial - Where did the RPG villains go?

hmmm... I'm playing rpgs since the N.E.S. era...
My first ever RPG was Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.

My last played Jrpg is Lost Odyssey.

I didn't know this thread was about making a strong impression with played games...
Yes, WRPGs, imo, are way more entertaining and immersive, but I also like the JRPGs fantasy and magic style sometimes.

My Gaming Setup

Around the Network
Neoraf said:

I didn't know this thread was about making a strong impression with played games...
Yes, WRPGs, imo, are way more entertaining and immersive, but I also like the JRPGs fantasy and magic style sometimes.

It isn't, but Khuutra is challenging your knowledge of WRPGs so you gotta bring it dude.  Give him what for.

A great conversational thread..derailed *sigh*

Neoraf said:

So you've played Mass Effect and Jade Empire. And Fallout 3 I guess?

Jade Empire is a good game. Haven't played Mass Effect but I will do so in about three weeks.

Not the point, though. This thread isn't really about WRPGs. As I said: all the games mentioned in the quoted editorial are JRPGs, all the villains mentioned are from JRPGs, and the storytelling methods centered on in these conversations are primarily Japanese (except for FFXII, which borrows heavily from western theatrical traditions).

You are off-topic, sir.

Everyone that knows RPGFan knows the focus of the site is on JRPGs. While they review WRPGs, most of the news and editorials are based on JRPGs (as it should be, if I might add).

So, it's clear that the article is about JRPGs and not WRPGs, and not RPGs in general

Around the Network

This is a popular argument in all forms of entertainment. Whether the villians should be realistic (a la Macbeth) or clear cut and clearly evil (a la the emperor in Star Wars). On the one hand, we have Realism in it's effort to make a realisitic story that is believable to the participants. On the other, we have Romanticism which strives to represent a primal aspect of life in it's fairy-tale like stories.

I personally perfer the Romantic side. As games are similar to fairy-tales, I don't want to hear if the villian is somewhat justified or there is moral ambiguity around the whole situation. Fighting against a "bad person" is something that is immortal and should always be told. They even transcend specific time periods or cultural differences.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

griffinA said:
This is a popular argument in all forms of entertainment. Whether the villians should be realistic (a la Macbeth) or clear cut and clearly evil (a la the emperor in Star Wars). On the one hand, we have Realism in it's effort to make a realisitic story that is believable to the participants. On the other, we have Romanticism which strives to represent a primal aspect of life in it's fairy-tale like stories.

I personally perfer the Romantic side. As games are similar to fairy-tales, I don't want to hear if the villian is somewhat justified or there is moral ambiguity around the whole situation. Fighting against a "bad person" is something that is immortal and should always be told. They even transcend specific time periods or cultural differences.

I prefer realistic enemies than evil murder machine monsters. Kinda like you had in VC when they were just fightning for diffrent cause and their own goals.

IMHO creation of ultra evil "I'll kill them all" type of villian is a shortcut taken by developer to avoid creating realistic character with his goals, wishes, emotions etc.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

griffinA said:

While I get what you say, no one is evil just for the sake of being evil. Having a very evil villain without any past or motivations whatsoever is a bad storytelling device, and one that for me makes no sense. Of course, you can have very evil villains that are really well developed, they lack any moral ambiguity but you don't feel like they're just "for the sake of being the evil villain". Case in point, Luca Blight had nary a redeeming feature, but it's not like he didn't have a reason, seeing his mother being raped in front of him as a powerless kid made him realize that only powerful men have success, thus he seeked power for that reason, because he understood that any powerful man has the right to crush any powerless one. That's a good reason  (in a nutshell, of course), and it doesn't feel like the character has no background.

I don't think the two "types of villain" as you put it are that mutally exclusive. It's just that sometimes developers don't realize they can use both sides. Personally, I'll always take a good developed villain, without caring if its a "totally evil one" or a "moral ambiguous one". Yet, most of the best developed villains are the moral ambiguous ones, that's a fault of RPG storytelling that can't develop well the "totally evil ones"

They just need to make another suikoden game as good as the second one.

Nice read.

Neoraf said:
If you want a bad-ass with real motivations, take a look at Saren in Mass Effect.

The RPGs are evolving. It's a very good thing.
No more kiddie rpgs like in the past (Good versus bad, black and white situations). Gray zones FTW!

More mature plots and moral choices.
Bioware, the leader in next-generation RPGs.

Ehh .. no. Saren is boring and predictable, there is nothing intriguing nor interesting behind his actions. A very straightforward type of villain, he is. 

Bioware is capable of creating great villains, but Saren is just not the case. A good example of great villain in western-developed RPG would be Aribeth from original NWN (developed by Bioware). But overall, I really cant think of many great villains in western developed RPGs, even older ones. I guess western devs never concentrated on that.