By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why the PS3 will not last long, let alone 10 years.

This thread isnt about the Wii or Wii Sports, we should maybe try to stay on topic? Especially when the person that is diverting it says a post filled with easily provable fallacies is "Spot on, as usual".

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
kersed3 said:
Not many Wii owners bought Wii sports. It only did really good because Wii sports was bundled with ALL Wii's. Until sometime in late 08 they stopped bundling it. If you dont believe me, watch Wii sports Resorte. It wont do so good. It will probably pass 3 mill - 6 mill, but thats because of the bundling with the wii mote and wii mote motion plus thing. Alone, it will probably sell no more than 1 mill

Wii Sports is still bundled with the Wii.

Its only not bundled in Japan and south korea

fixed

I´ve yet to see a big defection of 3rd parties away from the HD systems like you imply will happen..thing is, how long will we have to wait for this to happen?

Ever since 2007, I´ve read lots of comments on how, starting in 2008, there would be a major shift of 3rd parties from the PS360 going to the Wii...there´s been some, like Monster Hunter 3 and Fatal Frame 4, but not enough to warrant "huge" and "major" defection.

2008 came and went, no major defection....when January arrived, it started all over again..."2009 is the year...."..now, this year indeed has many promising 3rd party titles for the Wii , but that does not constitute "moving away from PS360" when there are still so many 3rd party titles being announced for the HD systems.

So, yes it looks like 3rd parties in general have started taking the Wii a lot more seriously, thank god (this year is proof of that), but it´s not like you imply...your opinion will only become reality when I see practically no more 3rd party titles being announced for PS360 and instead moving to the Wii...and so far, that isn´t happening.

|_emmiwinks said:
This thread isnt about the Wii or Wii Sports, we should maybe try to stay on topic? Especially when the person that is diverting it says a post filled with easily provable fallacies is "Spot on, as usual".

Don't see how anything I said is diverting the topic.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Carl2291 said:
Undying said:
Carl2291 said:
They said it was to stay for 10 years, when they were losing $200 a console.

I doubt their motive will have changed now the loss has been significantly reduced.

A lot has changed since the PS3 was launched. I will be suprised if it makes it to 2013.

If SONY start to make profits, their is no reason why they cant do with it... what they did with the PS2.

PS4 will probably be on the market by 2012/13... but dont expect to see PS3 suddenly just die like the Xbox did.

If being the keyword. Sony is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they cut the price they will sell more consoles, but then they will be losing more money. The PS3 will most likly not see any kind of profit or a few years if at all.

The PS3 will be killed off as fast as possible, just like the xbox and cube were. There is no reason for sony to support the PS3 if its not making them money and its still in 3rd place. History poves this statement correct.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

Around the Network

I saw "I am saying to buyer that your product is garbage essentially", then I stopped reading because you lost all credibility then. It's ok for you to think that it won't last 10 years, but for you to call it garbage, especially given the standard hardware AND the games that it haas and will have, is just ridiculous.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that people bought the Wii, intially, because it was dirt cheap by comparison, along with the allure of the Wiimote....not because of Wii Sports specifically.

And as I said before, bundling won't make the console sell THAT much. Otherwise the Halo (also a must have game) 360 bundle wouldn't have ever gotten discontinued.

And one last thing, until the Wii gets the Grand Theft Autos, the Metal Gears, the Soul Caliburs, the Tekkens, the Resident Evils, and even proper (not retardedly made) EA Sports games, don't say that resources are being shifted

BMaker11 said:
I saw "I am saying to buyer that your product is garbage essentially", then I stopped reading because you lost all credibility then. It's ok for you to think that it won't last 10 years, but for you to call it garbage, especially given the standard hardware AND the games that it haas and will have, is just ridiculous.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that people bought the Wii, intially, because it was dirt cheap by comparison, along with the allure of the Wiimote....not because of Wii Sports specifically.

And as I said before, bundling won't make the console sell THAT much. Otherwise the Halo (also a must have game) 360 bundle wouldn't have ever gotten discontinued.

And one last thing, until the Wii gets the Grand Theft Autos, the Metal Gears, the Soul Caliburs, the Tekkens, the Resident Evils, and even proper (not retardedly made) EA Sports games, don't say that resources are being shifted

When I said "I am saying to buyer that your product is garbage essentially" I mean that the topic is basically bashing the PS3, and to the reader, may say "your system is garbage."

...Interesting...

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

I think Ken was the first to mention the 10 year lifespan, this was before the PS3 launched and that's what it's designed for with Blu-Ray and the Cell processor.

I think what the Wii truly demonstrates, is that this is more than feasible with effort. 8 years from now the PS3 game engines will be a lot more advanced and optimised than is currently the case. It will have an even far more awesome game library, as the Wii demonstrates the PS3 can survive with newer higher specced consoles by then. The Wii controller can be used on the PS3 already without problem, they could do something similar but more advanced like adding virtual reality support or other stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 would last even longer.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I agree, I don't see how making it to 2016 in the retail market is entirely possible. The recession has really stuck a knife in right at the third year mark and all the systems are unexpectedly down this generation. However I do see it making it to the 6-7 year mark at least in software. As for the hardware, well thats as much up to consumers as it is Sony and really somewhere in between 5-6 years from launch is ensured and the rest is earnt by performance the PS3 hasn't yet demonstrated.

Tease.