By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best and Worst review sites/magazines????

IGN is my most trusted. They are knowledgable and fairly consistant considering how big they are. I trust IGN more than any other source. If IGN rates a game over 9.0, then I know there is some quality to the game.

GameSpot is decent. Though I disagree with many of their reviews. I dont like the way they only do solid numbers like 8.0 or 8.5. With so many games being released, I think that .1 can make a big difference in ranking and comparing games.

GamePro is probably the WORST. IIRC they gave Ninja Blade a 5/5. LOL. They give 5/5's waaayyy too easily for them to be trusted.

MetaCritic I dont believe in at all. They use reviews from sources that nobodys ever heard of before. Anyone can make a video game site, and apparently you're credible enough to be included in MetaCritics rating system as long as you know how to create a website.

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

Around the Network

GamePro And Meta Phails as Game reviewers and reporters imo.

IGN and gamespot are fine.

But VGCHartz > All.

I will never believe ign`s reviews again after they gave gta iv 10/10.

kowenicki said:
Edge

They bring a level of intelligence and integrity to reviews that just doesnt exist elsewhere...

I disagree with the amount of 9 plus reviews that are thrown around by sites these days. Get a 9 or higher from edge and you are doing something very special indeed.

is this a magazine or website? Ive never even heard of Edge before.

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

Favourite: IGN. They write the longest and most in depth reviews, give all games in all genres on ALL consoles a chance, their review is up before anyone else's, they have more features, and they give fair scores.

Least favourite: Edge. No, I don't like their "5 is average" system, but that's besides the point. The only PS3 game to get 9+ from Edge is LittleBigPlanet. ONE game. The 360 has several.

Other least favourites: Variety, because they don't even write reviews, they make comments, and then Metacritic assigns a score to those comments...

Teletext Gamecentral: Need I say anything?

IGN AU: They nitpick over the stupidest things, and they said Mirror's Edge was better than MGS4 (in the top 10 of 2008 list)

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Edge and Variety are jokes.

I only do worsts and Game Informer is the worst. They are unprofessional in the way that they don't even cover the high def systems that much, and when they do they bash them. Nintendo must pay them a hefty sum to say all of those good things about their system.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

edge variety are probably the worst.

eurogamer and 1up aren't far from that

ign as a whole (all branches) is my most trusted.

Worst:

Maxims, Gamerstyle

My most trusted:

IGN and Gamespot.

IGN reviewed Football Manager 09 and gave it about a 4 complaining that it was a management game instead of a PES or Fifa. Real pros there.

Metacritic wins for me since it limits the effects of people spewing over the fictional 'perfect game'. Its a decent indicator if a game is good, average or bad.