By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Halo 3 > Killzone 2 this April in America (NPD)

BxN said:
deathgod33 said:
halo 3 is just plain and simple, a better fps than killzone 2

Terrible analysis. Sales have nothing to do with quality. Considering how Halo 3 is one of the best selling games of all time, it makes perfect sense for it to continue selling well even a year and a half after it's launch. I mean, even GTA: San Andreas is still selling good for ps2.

On the other hand, Killzone 2 is a sequel from a relatively unknown game that's struggling a bit in America, the ps3's weakest turf.

All that is well and good, however:

2. Playstation 3: Killzone 2 (2009) 91
Sony Computer Entertainment America

1. Xbox 360: Halo 3 (2007) 94
Microsoft

So,

A. Critics/Reviews

B. Consumers preference

C. Legs

D. Popularity online

...all land significantly(VASTLY) on the side of Halo 3.

Thus, while many don't agree with his opinion, it certainly is a popular one...well, maybe not on this site, but everywhere else it is.

What are we supposed to accept? The quantifiable opinions of everyone in the gaming industry, or the obviously jaded arguments of a message forum with a huge Sony fanbase.

I'm not saying which game is "better." However, I do claim that his opinion is as valid as anyones.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

just shows that allthought KZ2 is a great game, the market really just doesnt care and/or it fails to capture the "magic" that Halo 3 can easily generate.

CGI-Quality said:
account2099 said:
just shows that allthought KZ2 is a great game, the market really just doesnt care and/or it fails to capture the "magic" that Halo 3 can easily generate.

Established franchise vs non-established franchise. These things do play a factor. Just like, as great as DiRT or GRID may be, they'll never capture the "magic" of Gran Turismo.....why, established franchise vs non-established franchises. That's just how it's going to be. However, Killzone 2 proved that just because your previous game in a said franchise isn't a hit, doesn't mean your sequel can't be, and in this case, the market is moving forward.

To an extant. But when a game hyped since 2005, has had significant advertising (saw that slow motion bullet ad to death), and is AAA reviewed across the board............youd expect it to do better then it did.

No matter what you say, there is no excuse for the amount of fail KZ2 did for not even outselling a 2007 game when only a couple months old.

I blame the PS3 fanboys, they are all talk but thinning in numbers.

This is the ultimate humiliation for Sony and its fans.

@CGI: Perhaps the reason why the Xbox 360 does so much better than the PS3 for shooters is because it has a hardcore userbase of shooter fans who are able to obsorb 3 big shooters last holiday season (L4D + Gears 2 + COD WAW) and PS3 games like R2 and KZ2 are hobbled really because the PS3 has proportionally smaller quantities of these users and therefore any shooter released has to reach a wider market to sell successfully and the COD franchise is one of the two mass market console shooters so they really have an uphill climb for their shooter games. Perhaps theres nothing wrong with the games, its more to do with the userbase accepting their games?

Tease.

Around the Network

Do you guys have Halo3+Halo Wars +X360 premium bundle in US ?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

damkira said:

This is the ultimate humiliation for Sony and its fans.

sorry what? why is this a humiliation?

anyway, this is definitely sonys fault. there was not even one ad for this game. rockband and lips for xbox360 got way more advertisement than killzone. I can only speak of the german tv and there are only xbox ads or sometimes nintendo ads.

sony deserves the relative low sales.

Despite this sluggish period, XB360 still sells more than PS3 in USA, and it has a user base more than double there, so, considering that Halo games are killer apps for XB360, it's perfectly normal that they sell well where XB360 is stronger than anywhere else. That said, WiiSports beats any other game everywhere, so it's the best game ever made. Or not?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

OT: I don't know why, but VGC always shows there are new posts unread by me in this thread...

Edit: neither clicking on every page of the thread nor posting a new comment and reloading several times the last page solved it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

CGI-Quality said:
account2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:
account2099 said:

Established franchise vs non-established franchise. These things do play a factor. Just like, as great as DiRT or GRID may be, they'll never capture the "magic" of Gran Turismo.....why, established franchise vs non-established franchises. That's just how it's going to be. However, Killzone 2 proved that just because your previous game in a said franchise isn't a hit, doesn't mean your sequel can't be, and in this case, the market is moving forward.

To an extant. But when a game hyped since 2005, has had significant advertising (saw that slow motion bullet ad to death), and is AAA reviewed across the board............youd expect it to do better then it did.

No matter what you say, there is no excuse for the amount of fail KZ2 did for not even outselling a 2007 game when only a couple months old.

I blame the PS3 fanboys, they are all talk but thinning in numbers.

Anyone who thought Killzone 2 was going to sell anywhere NEAR Halo 3 #s was full of "fail" from the get go. But like I said, Killzone 2 is now known as one of the must have PS3 titles, and for that, it's done it's service to the industry. The same could not be said for Killzone 1, unlike Halos 1 & 2 for the Xbox, it was NOT considered a must have hit for the PS2.

The market is moving forward...

While I would not commit the game to Halo 3 sales...The Genre is not unpopular on the PS3..and hype & marketing where maximum...I think the FPS base on PS3 would of got this game......I cannot understand why not.....franchise power is a good reason....

And as to the whole Must Have PS3 tittles..Sure the media might say it...But the people don't agree...the Only service it has done is prove that it's another one of Sony's One trick pony's