By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP slim sells 130,000 in first day in Japan

shams said:
fkusumot said:
Diomedes1976 said:
I remember when Bunkum gave the PSP software sales ....they were way better than right now .I have always suspected that the PSP software sales are vastly undertracked by vgchartz .

Conspiracy theory?

LOL, dream on :)

It always gets a few people dreaming on. Thanks for those numbers.

Around the Network

Cherry picking of statistics, favorite tool of the fanboy.

FishyJoe said:

Sounds fishy. Wouldn't people get suspicious?

fkusumot said:
FishyJoe said:

Sounds fishy. Wouldn't people get suspicious?

No, they just do it over and over until rational people give up. 

shams said:
fkusumot said:
Diomedes1976 said:
I remember when Bunkum gave the PSP software sales ....they were way better than right now .I have always suspected that the PSP software sales are vastly undertracked by vgchartz .

Conspiracy theory?

LOL, dream on :)

Does this conspiracy extend to the NPD, Media Create and other sales tracking companies?

There is no spin or debate on the topic IMO. Software sales for the PSP are simply atrocious.

Check out for some comparisons:

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&console=PSP&publisher=&sort=Total

PSP has 11 recorded 1m+ shippers. Of these, only 1 has sold more than 2m.

The GC has 40 recorded 1m+. Including 11 that have sold 2m+.

For a fairer comparison, have a look at the DS (released same time as PSP):

- 31 1m+ shippers

- 15 2m+ shippers

The top shipping DS title (Nintendogs) has shipped (almost) the same number of units as ALL the 1m+ PSP shippers put together.

The PS2 has almost 200(!) titles that shipped 1m+ units. (and for interest, Nintendogs has shipped more units that the top recorded PS2 title! which is San Andreas...)

Are you serious? You're comparing worldwide GC total software sales with japanese total PSP software sales, also it's just wrong to compare a console with a handheld.

Around the Network
shams said:

There is no spin or debate on the topic IMO. Software sales for the PSP are simply atrocious.

It's not entirely true. I think PSP is an offer also for people who don't want to pay for games at all. They bougth the system only because it's pirated. Only Sony makes money on them. They shouldn't be perceive as potential game buyers. I'm pretty sure all fair PSP owners buy as much games as users of other systems. If PSP pirated proof we will have same figures for software. Hardware would be at 15 million though. Probably you would feel a bit better with 4:1 attach ratio but it would change nothing. Expect lack of an extra cash for Sony for extra 8 million units (also memory sticks etc.) sold.

Wipeout , NFS : MW , Tekken DR , MGS PO , have all sold over 1 million , and they are near or far from those attaches on VGcharts ... I wouldent trust it 100% , not even far ... So no , software sales are far from beeing as bad as the public might think . Also , just as a reminder : EA made more than 3 times as much profit on the PSP than on the DS last year ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
Wipeout , NFS : MW , Tekken DR , MGS PO , have all sold over 1 million , and they are near or far from those attaches on VGcharts ... I wouldent trust it 100% , not even far ... So no , software sales are far from beeing as bad as the public might think . Also , just as a reminder : EA made more than 3 times as much profit on the PSP than on the DS last year ...

So you're saying VGC, NPD, Chart-track, M-Create, Famitsu, etc. are all wrong and you're right even though you haven't presented anything more than cherry picked and anecdotal data. 

Ummm , actually I dont need to . I bet many people are reading regulary sites like Gamespot or IGN , and who does so , can easily confirm my afirmation . You know there are some people who live outside a box , which at this point is called VGCharts . I like the iste a lot , and it does gives people a fairly good impression of how the market stands , but still it has many flaws . And its not their fault , its a free site , with no revenues , so its forgivable ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

@Fishy joe

Where are the NPD numbers?

mM