By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - High Voltage: The Conduit wont suffer Madworld sales fate

High Voltage explains why The Conduit will have better sales than SEGA's recent "core" titles, Madworld and House of the Dead: Overkill.

The Conduit, the upcoming Wii-exclusive sci-fi FPS billed as having graphics on a par with games on the Xbox 360 and PS3, won’t suffer the same fate as other Wii titles aimed at core gamers, developer High Voltage has insisted.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com, High Voltage chief creative officer Eric Nofsinger said that the game will avoid the poor sales suffered by SEGA’s MadWorld and The House of the Dead: Overkill because it’s both accessible to the mainstream and appealing to core gamers.

“This is something that gets brought up quite a lot,” he said, “but we’re not concerned at all. Those games, and you can point to a few others as well… I think they’re great games, but they’re mature games. I think there’s a nomenclature that you need to be certain on. Those games are gory and they are aesthetically niche. They’re boutique games. They’re great games and I love them, however I know that they’re not accessible and they’re not the kind of titles that are going to tap into both core and mainstream [audiences].

“When I say that we’re core, I mean that we have a level of detail and depth and customisation and variety that core gamers demand. When I say that we’re accessible and that we’re also aiming for the mainstream, that is why we specifically chose the art style we did, and the setting. The theme is very much in the mindset of going for that Hollywood blockbuster feel.

"I think we’re absolutely different beasts to those other games. I love to be in the company of those great developers and I think they did amazing work. I would never defame anything that they’ve done and I’m happy to support them with my own dollars, however I do think that we have a much better shot at financial success than they did.” 

Original article. Videogamer also have a hands on preview if you want to check that out.

Me personally? I think the game will sell well, at the very least, better than Madworld and HotD. Call me naive but i don't see this game failing, we'll just have to wait and see how it goes. Fingers crossed it does well, i for one will be camping outside Gamestation the day before ;)

For anyone who forgot, the game is released in the US on June 23rd, and in Europe on June 26th, three days later (apparently the same day Tales of Vesperia is released on the X360 in Europe).

How technical is your game?

Around the Network

It will sell better because of the marketing budget Sega has allocated and because retail support is 10 times higher than either of the previous games.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I'm a little scared that The Conduit won't do so well. Because if you own a good PC or an HD console there is little reason to buy it, you probably already have some monster FPS games, and the conduit seems a bit too generic an FPS to warrant buying another FPS.
If it is well balanced, and gets a healthy and exciting competitive scene, and E-sport status it will at least become more hardcore in the true meaning of the word than anything the HD consoles has to offer.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Hope so!

In my last hour I'm slave to power of death!!!

I'm not expecting alot from the Conduit TBH , probably not Madworld bad but still not very good.

My problem with Conduit is that there doesn't seem to be a real need/desire for that type of game on the platform (well with exception of internet users) , there's hardly anything to about this game that set's it apart from the libaries on all the consoles let alone the Wii.

Around the Network

Well, one thing is for sure, "Mature" and "Teen" aren't the same thing. The Conduit is a core game, but it is pretty different from Madworld and Hose of the Dead. I think that we will see great numbers for this game.

Well he right about Madworld but I don't know about House of the Dead:Overkill since sell of other games of similar type have a reach a million.But back to point The Conduit should at the very least beat Madworld and HOTD lifetime sells combined.

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

Million said:
I'm not expecting alot from the Conduit TBH , probably not Madworld bad but still not very good.

My problem with Conduit is that there doesn't seem to be a real need/desire for that type of game on the platform (well with exception of internet users) , there's hardly anything to about this game that set's it apart from the libaries on all the consoles let alone the Wii.

There's nothing about The Conduit that sets it apart from other Wii titles?   REally?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Million said:

There's nothing about The Conduit that sets it apart from other Wii titles?   REally?

Well if your going to take it for it's literal meaning then ofcourse i'm incorrect. But what I am talking about is being distinguished from other titles in a way that apeals to the general consumer.

I really do believe this game will sell well. Not super high CoD4/WaW numbers, but pretty good. HVS have earned my eternal respect.

I am so enthusiastic about this game and its sales, mostly because of how LOVELY the pointer controls are on the Wii, because of how hardcore centric and "bungiesque" HVS are and because of the statements they have made and the influences they have named. Because of the likeness in comparison to many of the top games ever made in not only the FPS genre but other genres as well and finally because it has the chance of showing other devs the correct format.

How technical is your game?