By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This is a thread to talk about my favorite console, the NES.

I imagine a lot of vgchartz posters were born when the 80´s was almost ending or in the 90´s, so they didn´t get to  experience the phenomenon the NES was (in the U.S. and Japan, I understand the system didn´t make the same impact in Europe) in the 1986-1991 period.

It´s the system that single-handedly revitalized the U.S. game market, it´s also the system that introduced the D-pad used to this day, and as far as I know (I might be wrong on this one), the first system to really be marketed as a 'family console' (like the Wii is now).

The NES was first released in NYC in 1985, amidst a lot of negativity, criticism and uncertainty...as far as I know, it  sold about 90.000 units, enough of a success Nintendo was motivated to release it nationwide, which happened in February 1986 (I think).

I first got the system as a birthday present in May 1986, when I turned 5 years old..and according to history, within a few short months it became a huge hit and by Christmas 1986 it was one of the most desired things on people´s 'what to get' list.

Anyway, who here had a NES back in the 80´s?...what were your favorite games?

And vgchartz members who got to know the system only years after it had been replaced by the 16-bit systems, what do you think about its games?

Around the Network

i whole heartedly disagree with you.

im using wii homebrew and have snes - megadrive - nes - gameboy - master system. all set up.

and i swear i cant find any good nes games to play apart from the mario games, contra and adodox.

the master system games are far better. you can help me out here nd give me a short list of games for nes that i must try.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:
i whole heartedly disagree with you.

im using wii homebrew and have snes - megadrive - nes - gameboy - master system. all set up.

and i swear i cant find any good nes games to play apart from the mario games, contra and adodox.

the master system games are far better. you can help me out here nd give me a short list of games for nes that i must try.

There's the door. Leave.

OT:

...seriously? Do I actually need to list GOOD NES games?

Here's a few:

Mario 1,2,3

Zelda 1,2

Metroid

Megaman

Dragon Warrior

Final Fantasy

Duck Hunt

Punch-Out!!

Kirby's Adventure

Tetris

Contra

T_T;

I'm alergic to the NES , it can't render high resolution graphics.

You know which publisher I miss most from the NES days? Ultra.

They published awesome games like Pirates!, Base Wars, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. What the hell happened to Ultra?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
famousringo said:
You know which publisher I miss most from the NES days? Ultra.

They published awesome games like Pirates!, Base Wars, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. What the hell happened to Ultra?

Now answering my own question with the power of Wikipedia:

Ultra Software Corporation was a spinoff company created in 1988 as a subsidiary of Konami of America, in an effort to get around Nintendo of America's strict licensing rules.

Haha, I should have known. All a clever scheme by Konami to make even more awesome 8-bit games.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but Nintendo was huge over here in Sweden. At Nintendo's peak of popularity, a street was renamed into "mario's street"

I LOVE ICELAND!

I had a nes!! actually still have somewhere in the basement!!!

Love to play the TMNT got 1,2,3 oh and the Mario games 1,2,3!!! and got Zelda 1 and 2 couldn't finish them back in 1988 but i achieve somewhere in the 90's

did u guys ever silius I love that game!!! andd us not forget about our blue little friend MEGAMAN when they still make good games about him, well so many other I really enjoy a disney game where you have to complete all the games like horror house or pirstes of the caribbean with some weird guy wearing a cowbow hat!

geez miss those days

In my last hour I'm slave to power of death!!!

I did not have a NES, I had a better gaming device. C64. ;) A lot of my friends had NES.. I did not like it at all.

@famousringo

I think Ultra also published the first Metal Gear in the U.S.

Wasn´t there a company called Tradewest?...published Battletoads, I think.