By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

@ Zizzla

Shipping is not one of the most expensive components to a video game budget.

Shipping is non Factor when it comes to Budgets..Since budgets are Measured Pre Production...But when I comes to factoring out the Profits, Shipping and Distribution play a majors part.....If it did not...Companies Like Square Soft Would not have tried Merges with EA and many other Companies that do so...

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
There were some bundles, but I think they were only in the UK, and not really that widespread

This.

@ Zizzla

With bundles, a loss isn't incurred on the sale of the game but rather the sale of the hardware. So the loss Sony receives from selling a bundle (whether it be actual loss or the oppurtunity cost of selling the game in retail), they still count it sold.

And if you to get real technical, you'd have to add all the free $ from the DLC. $5 for the map pack which has been downloaded tons.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Max King of the Wild said:
therepublic - okay you included royalties... how about the licensing fees they dont have to pay themselves.

all the websites are all reporting from each other with no sources and from what i can track down the rumors started at surfer girl. those estimates have no basis... except one which is when someone at GG said their budget was over 21 million

I mean the same thing by that.  Royalties, licensing fees, all included.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Zizzla_Rachet said:
theRepublic said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:
theRepublic said:
I found what I was looking for, and it seems my memory was off a bit.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/13078821/Zack__Wiki_didnt_make_money?num=10&pg=1

BengaBenga (the same one as on this site) states that Forbes has estimated that a publisher gets approx $28 for a $60 game. I would assume that it is a little higher for first party publishers and a little lower for second party publishers. That is due to the licensing fees that are charged to third party publishers.

So, assuming $30 (could be more like $31-$33) per game and 2 million copies shipped, that means somewhere around $60 million in revenue for Killzone 2. That would mean that it is a profitable game.

By those calculations sony Would have to Ship another Million copies *Not in bundles* to make a profit...Or made a marginal Profit already

Do we know how many games were sold in bundles?  In my calculations, I did assume that all 2 million copies were purchased separately by retailers.

Even if some were bundled  were is the Porfite in that?..Since Bundles Give you the Inserted game for free...

All that I am saying is that I don't know how many games were bundled so I can't include it in my calculations.  I don't even know where to start when it comes to estimating how many games were bundled either.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Dont understand did the game have a time limit to sell 1 million i US or what and i dont think it has stopped selling yet.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Munkeh111 said:
There were some bundles, but I think they were only in the UK, and not really that widespread

This.

@ Zizzla

1 With bundles, a loss isn't incurred on the sale of the game but rather the sale of the hardware. So the loss Sony receives from selling a bundle (whether it be actual loss or the oppurtunity cost of selling the game in retail), they still count it sold.

And if you to get real technical, you'd have to add all the free $ from the DLC. $5 for the map pack which has been downloaded tons.

1 Which Makes no Sense..

2  What Free Money?...You think DLC don't cost Money to make??...Especially to Sony who has to pay for they're own BandWith.....

therepublic - you think those are only a couple dollars each? Sony made a console to make money. people make games to make money. Supply and demand. Sony supplies the game player and the market and they demand a good amount to allow you to make money off their product.

Tbone said:
Dont understand did the game have a time limit to sell 1 million i US or what and i dont think it has stopped selling yet.

More of an expectation of a "AAA" title. It's reached the general make or break point of the "flop" determination, failing to make back its budget within a generous launch window... Like movies, it's a bit of a hazy subject.

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

Sony knows you have three choices A. not make a game B. pay the fee C. go to MS or nintendo who are just as much most likely.

Tbone said:

I think and Agree..That due to it's Genre and the Sales for other Fps games on the PS3..it was expected to sell much more much sooner