By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

^ for 3rd party maybe.

3rd parties devs arent the same as the publisher (till you get to the big guys like SE) they also have to pay royalties just for being on the system and also licensing fees

Around the Network

Why do 360 people make these threads? It's just annoying. They must be really happy to show a game not sold 1 million in America yet. KZ2 will reach it soon hopfully sometime this year.

Why is no one taking the distributor into account for these cost breakdowns? Sony [MS/Nintendo] doesn't distribute the games themselves. Retailers purchase from a distributor, not the publisher directly. The distributor can sometimes take a bigger cut than the retailer can depending on retailer and the contract negotiated.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Why is no one taking the distributor into account for these cost breakdowns? Sony [MS/Nintendo] doesn't distribute the games themselves. Retailers purchase from a distributor, not the publisher directly. The distributor can sometimes take a bigger cut than the retailer can depending on retailer and the contract negotiated.

Because that would make sense?  When most arguments in this thread are "KZ2 is good so it's a success sales wise"

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I found what I was looking for, and it seems my memory was off a bit.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/13078821/Zack__Wiki_didnt_make_money?num=10&pg=1

BengaBenga (the same one as on this site) states that Forbes has estimated that a publisher gets approx $28 for a $60 game. I would assume that it is a little higher for first party publishers and a little lower for second party publishers. That is due to the licensing fees that are charged to third party publishers.

So, assuming $30 (could be more like $31-$33) per game and 2 million copies shipped, that means somewhere around $60 million in revenue for Killzone 2. That would mean that it is a profitable game.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

^ but your forgeting sony isnt just the publisher.

Max King of the Wild said:

What are you saying?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:

What are you saying?

Ignore him. You covered it in your post. You said that first party publishers earn a little more than the average.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

^ there is a difference between somthing like MS publishing NG2 or Sony publishing Lair/WKC and somthing like MS publishing Halo 3 or Fable2 or Sony publishing KZ2 or Uncharted

^ there is a difference between somthing like MS publishing NG2 or Sony publishing Lair/WKC and somthing like MS publishing Halo 3 or Fable2 or Sony publishing KZ2 or Uncharted

How exactly? The money that would go to the developers (like Level 5, Tecmo, or Lair) is the same as it would go to Bungie, Naughty Dog, etc.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.