By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

I think that regardless of what anyone says, Killzone 2 has not lived up to expectations.. but you never know, it may still hit 1m around the holidays.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Retailer Margin = $12
Packaging/Disc = $3
Distribution, market development fee whatever? = $5

Total for Sony's pocket $40 over say 2M shipped = $80M

Game cost = $40M
Marketing = $20M

Profit as it stands? = 20M or 33%

How does that look?

That definitely seems too high, how would all these companies make so many losses when they get $20m from 1m sales, a figure which most decent PS360 games seem to reach

Sigh , another killzone thread.............oh you guys love this game so much.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
theRepublic said:
Squilliam said:
Retailer Margin = $12
Packaging/Disc = $3

Game cost = $40M
Marketing = $20M

How does that look?

I know the game is first party, but $40 per game sounds too high to me.  I remember awhile back that Sven from Capcom (I know, not the most reliable guy) said that even $25 per game was too high for third parties.

you have to realize sony is dev, console manufacturer, and publisher...

Munkeh111 said:
Squilliam said:
Retailer Margin = $12
Packaging/Disc = $3

Game cost = $40M
Marketing = $20M

How does that look?

That definitely seems too high, how would all these companies make so many losses when they get $20m from 1m sales, a figure which most decent PS360 games seem to reach

The retailer margin as listed on Forbes is only $12 and I believe that. However the retailer margin stays the same @ $50/40/30 as it does at $60 from what I hear. Also pulling stuff from my memory a lot of games cost $30M or so to bring to market incl advertising if not more and not all games sell 1M copies. Bah im tired I can't explain this.

Tease.

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
Squilliam said:
Retailer Margin = $12
Packaging/Disc = $3

Game cost = $40M
Marketing = $20M

How does that look?

sony doesnt have to pay themselves for putting it on their system. sony also doesnt have to pay themselves licensing fees. (i believe theose are seperate) sony is also publisher and dev

Max King of the Wild said:
Munkeh111 said:
Squilliam said:
Retailer Margin = $12
Packaging/Disc = $3

Game cost = $40M
Marketing = $20M

How does that look?

sony doesnt have to pay themselves for putting it on their system. sony also doesnt have to pay themselves licensing fees. (i believe theose are seperate) sony is also publisher and dev

Yeah, but how much does that take off that figure, I still think it is way to high

damkira said:

I think that regardless of what anyone says, Killzone 2 has not lived up to expectations.. but you never know, it may still hit 1m around the holidays.

most expectations were 2.5 million (low end) to 3.5 (high end) average first week expectations were 690k. i think KZ2 is tracking pretty well at 1.6 already with its first holiday season, heavier bundles, and greatest hits to look forward to in its long life time

munkeh - better question. Who gets 40 dollars?

shipping isnt very expensive. yeah its like 100 dollars per box but with like 100 games in that box (numbers from ass)

outlaw said retails cut was 10 dollars from when he worked at CC. Im pretty sure ssj said similar from working at walmart and forbes says 12 dollars.

manufacturing cost are cheap. sony buys material in bulk and the most expensive part (the disc) they manufacture so they probably buy at a lower price.

Max King of the Wild said:
munkeh - better question. Who gets 40 dollars?

shipping isnt very expensive. yeah its like 100 dollars per box but with like 100 games in that box (numbers from ass)

outlaw said retails cut was 10 dollars from when he worked at CC. Im pretty sure ssj said similar from working at walmart and forbes says 12 dollars.

manufacturing cost are cheap. sony buys material in bulk and the most expensive part (the disc) they manufacture so they probably buy at a lower price.

I don't know, I always thought it was more like $20-25