By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Walkthroughs. Is It A Form Of Cheating.

I only use them when badly stuck... or lists for JRPG's if I really do need 'em.

Around the Network

of course its cheating, anything that gives you an edge in a game besides just playing through yourself, practicing, etc. is cheating - but I don't see the big deal. Games are meant to be fun and being stuck is usually not fun (if it is then that is a REALLY good game), so if looking at a walkthrough/strategy guide helps you get through a tough patch and makes the game more fun then I say go for it.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

I use walktrough to see some gameplay of a game and if it's good I buy the game

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Yes it's cheating. And I'm too afraid to accidentally spoil 10 secrets at once, so if I really can't pass one thing, I'd ask one friend to give me one clue, so I didn't spoil more than I wanted to.

I'm not acting like I'm better than all you guys though. I've done it before. But I cry afterwards.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Playing an RPG without a walkthrough these days is like saying you only feel like playing half the game.

Reminds me of Tales of Symphonia where you'd only get certain titles between certain periods of time in the game when you had certain characters with you and when the sun, moon, and stars aligned.

Pretty much this. Anyone else want to tell me how it's possible to get the Zodiac Spear in FF XII without knowing in advance which four chests in the game you can't open? The game does not give you hints. It's not possible. There's many other instances where you can miss out on so much that is timed in the game.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Playing an RPG without a walkthrough these days is like saying you only feel like playing half the game.

Reminds me of Tales of Symphonia where you'd only get certain titles between certain periods of time in the game when you had certain characters with you and when the sun, moon, and stars aligned.

Pretty much this. Anyone else want to tell me how it's possible to get the Zodiac Spear in FF XII without knowing in advance which four chests in the game you can't open? The game does not give you hints. It's not possible. There's many other instances where you can miss out on so much that is timed in the game.

I'd call that shitty design and not even get that stupid item.

It's like making a game or a movie and leaving the plot out, and making people buy a book later to explain it.

They are a useful tool, if not used as a crutch to avoid thinking in the game.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Onyxmeth said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

It's like making a game or a movie and leaving the plot out, and making people buy a book later to explain it.

It is shitty design, and most RPGs are exactly like this, which is why if you want to get the most out of them, a walkthrough becomes necessary reading. Other games not so much, but RPGs should basically be packaged with walkthroughs because they rely on them so much to take advantage of the secrets and easter eggs throughout the game.

About the Zodiac Spear though, it's the most powerful weapon in the game, so it's pretty desirable. Most people that want to complete the final hunts probably wouldn't want to go into them without this spear.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I'll use them on RPG's usually on my second time to play them so I can get everything.

Onyxmeth said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Onyxmeth said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

It is shitty design, and most RPGs are exactly like this, which is why if you want to get the most out of them, a walkthrough becomes necessary reading. Other games not so much, but RPGs should basically be packaged with walkthroughs because they rely on them so much to take advantage of the secrets and easter eggs throughout the game.

About the Zodiac Spear though, it's the most powerful weapon in the game, so it's pretty desirable. Most people that want to complete the final hunts probably wouldn't want to go into them without this spear.

In defense of FFXII, you're pretty obviously not meant to get the Zodiac Spear when it becomes available by this method, as you can use it to one-shot almost anything for most of the game. It's a completely broken weapon. It was meant specifically for people who wanted to bypass challenge in the main storyline.