By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Walkthroughs. Is It A Form Of Cheating.

sirvice said:
in the second run to complete 100% (mostly for objectives where you have to collect stuff).

But at the first play through i wanna enjoy the game and dont want to get distracted by reading some walkthrough every 5min in order to miss something out.

No I would not do that.

I only ever use them as a last resort.

I mean if I am enjoying a game and get stuck on a part for ages then I will get one.

I may not use it again in the game.

Around the Network

If I want help I'll look it up.

Especially if I rent a game, I'd rather finish it before I have to return it.

yea cheating is cheating, that's why if you gonna cheat might as well cheat all the way.

theRepublic said:

@ Khuutra

We all know that you love FFXII, or at the very least think it is underrated. You don't need to (and shouldn't) defend the game over that design choice.

I just don't see anything inherently wrong with Easter Eggs. I'd do the same for any other game where you get a radically over-powered weapon through bizarre, incomprehensible means.

I don't let it bother me. I get more satisfaction if I can finish a game without it but frankly most RPGs have an absurd amount of stuff that you "can" do that you won't be able to do until you look at a walkthru or an online forum/hint system.

Several Final fantasy games have been cited here but this practice of obscure never mentioned anywhere quest/quest items is the norm rather than the exception. Clive's quest in Suikoden 2 is an example.

For "completionists" walk-throughs are necessary.

Around the Network

For Zack and Wiki it's definately cheating. Finding out what to do is all the game's about. I usually use walkthrough for unlockables once I'm done with the main game like how to unlock certain guns in RE5 or finding those damn BSAA emblems after going through a chapter 5 times.

Signature goes here!

I'd much rather have a walkthrough to help me through the game than not finishing it at all. Which happens when games go evil on me.

This is invisible text!

Only as a last result, or to find all items (like the damn ghost in Twilight princess)
Otherwise they can mess the adventure.

In my last hour I'm slave to power of death!!!

About the Zodiac Spear. That's simply idoitic design. The argument that it's incredibly overpowered doesn't stand, that's what final weapons are about. I'm all for making them hard to get but having to restart a new game because I screwed my chances of ever getting it by opening a chest I shouldn't have is bullshit.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
About the Zodiac Spear. That's simply idoitic design. The argument that it's incredibly overpowered doesn't stand, that's what final weapons are about. I'm all for making them hard to get but having to restart a new game because I screwed my chances of ever getting it by opening a chest I shouldn't have is bullshit.

Here's the thing: it's not the ultimate weapon. It's not even close. The Tournesol is better, the Wyrmhero Blade is better, the Masamune is leagues better - the Tournesol and Masamune in particular are better for taking on major hunts, and you can get two of the Masamune so you need no other weapons for taking on major boss battles.

The Zodiac Spear is not suitable for the final hunts because of its slowness and low combo rate. I still hold that its primary purpose is to make the final parts of the storyline as easy as they can possibly be.