By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - My deeply divisive prediction #1: 360>PS3 10 weeks holidays, with $299 PS3

I believe this prediction will fail.

I do not believe the PS3 will have a $100 price cut this year, Sony is concentrating on becoming profitable, not a petty victory over MS

Around the Network

so squilliam, you some how knew of the new FFXIII delay, that will push the games till 2010 didnt you.... thats how you knew the 360 would win, none of the crazy sales in japan for FFXIII

your magic and its scary

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Squilliam said:
Kantor said:
Squilliam said:

Kantor said:
You've made some pretty ridiculous assumptions there.

Firstly, the PS3 being 3 million at a $400 price. Well, the sales only declined from 2007 to 2008 because the PS3 had a price cut in holiday 2007, while the 360 had one in holiday 2008.

Yeah, so your justification that the PS3 would have maintained its sales for the holiday season in spite of being down the previous year and during this year is due to?

I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that you cannot increase on possible 2009 holiday sales with your fabricated percentage, you would have to increase the last available data, which would in this case be holiday 2008.

Fabricated? Its the best estimation I could give considering the PS3 is down YOY now and over the last holiday season! So therefore it would continue to lose sales over the last year without a price cut.

Lol, this is getting complicated. Okay, the PS3 is down YOY since the 360 price cut just because of that. Once we hit September (or whenever it was that the cut happened), without a price cut, the PS3 would be relatively flat YoY.

Historical evidence shows us that so far this gen, in the mini-HD war, the momentum is with whoever cut the price last. Sony cuts price, PS3 is in second. Microsoft cuts price, 360 is in second. Thus, if Sony were to cut the price, PS3 sales would increase, not only because it is now at an affordable price, but because it is at a MORE affordable price than it was previously. The PS3 is looking to have a better holiday lineup than the 360, so with prices equal, PS3 demand will soar above that of the 360. Those originally considering 360 purchases because they couldn't afford a PS3 would reconsider, because now they CAN afford a PS3.

Err, so if there are two price cuts at about the same time your point becomes completely invalidated.

I was wondering if I should get to that. I don't believe Microsoft will cut price at all this holiday season. I don't remember them responding to the PS3's 2007 price cut, and I see no reason why they would now. One price cut a year isn't great for Microsoft's finances, unless the manufacturing costs can decrease as well, as they would with the PS3 (Slim). Microsoft's Entertainment Division (or whatever it's called) just made a profit for the first time in, what, ten years? I don't think they are eager to lose that. And as I will mention later, the 360 is at mass market price, and now any price cuts will be either going below that price or value adding (a $200 Pro), neither of which has as much effect as a price cut from $400 to $300.

Noone, not even Sony thinks that the expected price cut will be good for their short term finances either. Furthermore the EDD made a profit, but looking deeper into the financials the Xbox 360 makes all of the profit and its not responsible for all of the losses. They could afford to cut the price and they have been far slower at cutting the price of the Xbox 360 than Sony has with the PS3.

Yes, Microsoft is slower at cutting prices on the 360 than Sony with the PS3. So if Sony were to cut the price after two years since a price cut, why would Microsoft do the same just one year after their previous cut?

Whilst the Xbox 360 Arcade is at a mass market price, its not at the lowest mass market price and nor is the Xbox 360 Premium which is the main SKU at the mass market price of $200ish dollars. Furthermore im sure they also reserve the right to release their own slim console and at the same time im sure they would introduce wireless (which they can't at the moment), so not only can they cut the price they can also close the feature gap between the PS3 and Xbox 360.

I don't think the Arcade quite needs to go below mass market price. And if it did, like I mentioned, there wouldn't be much of an effect. As for the 360 Pro, that's what I'm saying would be the most likely option, but once you are at $299, you don't cut $100 at a time, you cut $50 at a time. So it would be $249, with a minimum Arcade price of $179. Value can be added yes, but there's nothing with as much effect as a price cut going down to mass market price, except a price cut which puts the console at mass market price.

So, you cannot expect 360 sales to remain steady while PS3 sales rise slightly.

Another factor to consider here is Japan. Japan is the only region left where system sellers (short of a few huge games like Halo 3) really matter. 2008's holiday saw very few PS3 system sellers in Japan- White Knight Chronicles is about it, and even that isn't much. 2009, meanwhile, has FF13 and GT5, both of which are huge in Japan, and will give lasting boosts, especially if coupled with a price cut.

I considered Japan and these games. Japan is the reason why I expected the PS3s base demand to have only dropped to 3M @ $400 in spite of being down in sales considerably YOY.

So you would expect it to sink below 3 million with last year's Japan numbers? All I can say is...I don't agree. If Sony didn't cut the price, Microsoft definitely wouldn't, because it would be taking a profit hit for no reason- the 360 is already at mass market price, now they just need to add value i.e. improve the Arcade, or make the Pro $200, and this won't have as much effect. So I think they would remain around the same as last year.

The PS3 is down below the Xbox 360 of 2008, its looking to fall below 100k a week and yet you believe that it could still sell as well as last year? The recession still has to get worse before it gets better and this will be the first holiday season effected by the recession with full force.

No, the PS3 isn't below the 2008 360. Have a look: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=73051&page=1 . It's above it, and by a fair bit, too. The 2009 360 is also below the 2008 PS3. And if the recession was in such full force, 360 numbers would suffer as well, because all unnecessary expenditure would have to be cut.

Finally, the PS3 outsold the 360 (albeit only slightly) in holiday 2007, back when it had very little quality software and a still-pretty-high price tag, so I'm pretty sure it can do that again.

I hate it when people reply by bolding! Ah well. Bold and italic for me.

I hate it when people reply by bolding/italicing to my bolding. So I raise you bold/italic and pink!!!

Your pink hurts my eyes, so I'm changing it to green.

And I'll use blue.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

This is all just wind in a bucket!

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

ps3 doesnt even need a price cut to outsell 360 this holiday, all it needs is GT5.

Around the Network
txrattlesnake said:
I think Microsoft had better come up with some games if they want to match last year's holiday success. So far they've got nothing and nothing comparable to a Gears or even a Fable.

If only some sort of.... Halo game were coming out.

I don't think some of you understand what unbderachieving is. If your product has everything going for it and little going against it, and it still does Mediocre, then it unachieves. In the case of Sony, they placed a monster price tag around their product. this is certianly not a case of having everything going for it. It's a case of unwise Market analysis.

SWA_JM_Obi-Wan said:
I don't think some of you understand what unbderachieving is. If your product has everything going for it and little going against it, and it still does Mediocre, then it unachieves. In the case of Sony, they placed a monster price tag around their product. this is certianly not a case of having everything going for it. It's a case of unwise Market analysis.

Before PS3 was released, Sony must have a goal of how PS3 will sell based on the "monster" price it sets and the market share it had with PS2. The life time sale to date for PS3 is certainly not what Sony expected. Falling short of Sony's own expectation makes PS3 underachieve. Unwise market analysis is just the cause for underachieving.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

You can put a 90 year old man who has smoked a pack of ciggerettes every day in the Boston marathon, and his family and closest friends can convince him and themselves he is going to win. He might even finish the race, but if he comes in dead last did he underachieve? Just becaue the foks at Sony deluded themselves into thinking they could win doesn't mean they ever stood a chance. the 360 had solid specs, reasonable price, and a years headstart, yet they are still in a position to have to keep an eye on what Sony does. Exactly who here is underachieving?

SWA_JM_Obi-Wan said:
You can put a 90 year old man who has smoked a pack of ciggerettes every day in the Boston marathon, and his family and closest friends can convince him and themselves he is going to win. He might even finish the race, but if he comes in dead last did he underachieve? Just becaue the foks at Sony deluded themselves into thinking they could win doesn't mean they ever stood a chance. the 360 had solid specs, reasonable price, and a years headstart, yet they are still in a position to have to keep an eye on what Sony does. Exactly who here is underachieving?

If GM loses money its just par for the course, its whats expected of them. However if Toyota started losing as much money as GM the markets would have a fit. Thats underachieving and yet both are performing as badly as each other.

Tease.