By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP Beats DS In Japanese Weekly Hardware Sales

couchmonkey said:
It's a nice win for Sony, something I don't think GameCube was ever able to do, but then again, Sony never controlled two fronts at once.

I believe GameCube outsold PS2 in the US during thanksgiving 2003, just after the price drop. One week, then it was over. Just as I expect this to end.

PS: LOL I wonder how Sony Defense Force will react to this... Hope we'll get a big laugh soon :)

Around the Network

Yeah , the Gamecube managed to outell it once ... I dont know when , but it did ... to bad for it taht it couldent maintain that lead for a couple of months ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I think the psp might sell 200k this week. While ds drops to around 60k in japan. Something tells me a huge change is occuring. PSp sales should hit 100k in U.S with ds sales dropping to 100k.

mM

While its nice to have my favorite on the top , at least for a couple of weeks , Im still not crazy , and I know that this is only a matter of time untill things will change :(

I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of this. PSP is going to ake a couple of weeks are so but DS has taken the last 3 years haha. I mean seriously its nice and all for PSP but fans are acting like this is the start of a PSP leadership and reign. Seriously calm down. DS has sold close to 20 million in Japan while PSP is barely over 6 million.

Were all happy PSP was able to take a week or 2 but come on thats all it is.

Around the Network

So your logic is : we can only be happy for rising sales , if our handhelds are the best selling from all ... :?

Zucas said:
I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of this. PSP is going to ake a couple of weeks are so but DS has taken the last 3 years haha.

That's the point. We have few threads about current situation because it's definitely unusual. Would you prefer threads a'la "DS outsells everything again" every week? C'mon it IS a big deal to beat the DS. Sale of PSP will be higher during upcoming few weeks because of few factors:

1. CCFFVII

2. PSP lite

3. PSP TV tuner

4. MGS:PO+ (50k day one)

It won't drop from 170k to 30k... We can count for at least 3 weeks streak.

MGS : PO + sold 50k in day one :o Thats pretty damn impressive ... I was expecting something around that number in first week ... but that could be because of the Slim to :? ( Oh , and that means that there should be a bit higher PO sale to :) ) .

Andir said:

In a turnaround of fortunes that would have seemed impossible even a month ago, the PSP has outsold the Nintendo DS for the first time in over a year.

Last time I checked everyone knew the PSP was going to outsell the DS for a few weeks with a FF7 spinoff and a redesign of the console being released on the same week.

Very good sales, although talking of "overtaking the DS" or "turning the tables around" is pretty absurd. 

Agree with that ... though I was expecting a max 1 week domination never thaught that it will be able to do it 2 weeks in a row :)