By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Yellow Light Of Death Hits

There’s one stigma that Microsoft and the Xbox 360 hasn’t been able to shake off, its caused the loss of millions of pounds to guarantee, for those still unaware of what Im getting at, well it’s their reliability, system failures … namely the dreaded red rings of death. It was the main reason a Playstation 3 sits in my living room alongside, the other much maligned console.

But take a look on the internet, dig a little deeper and you’ll find a whole host of System failures tagged to Sony’s previously indestructible machine.

Now everyone knows that  hardware fails, or indeed has a shelve life, but the more interesting thing is that several of these ‘bricked’ machines are linked to the updates that are required from Sony to use their online service, PSN.

Kotaku reported this wayback with update 2.40 , stating ‘Owners of PS3s in all shapes and sizes have been reporting that their systems were loading to the initial PlayStation wave screen and simply hanging there after applying 2.40’

It hasn’t stopped there, with several updates following 2.40 creating similar problems. This may be hyperbole from those desperate to blame faulty machines on the brand Sony; I too would have thought that, I too would have backed Sony at one time. That was until it happened to me.

Thursday rolled around and as ususal the psn store was going to be my first port of call, was there new demos? was there new games to purchase? (there was only Zen Pinball for matter of fact) and the Playstation faithfully informed me, the  it was needing an update 2.76 of the PSN Firmware, dutifully I obliged, then I booted up a game… then nothing… nothing at all… then an ominous bleep and worse a red flashing light. Then out of the shadows lurked a dreadful sign, a costly sign. A yellow light.

“Simple its just crashed” was my initial reaction, no worries, I’ll restart it. Nothing. Okay I’ll leave it unplugged till the next morning; nothing again.

Fearing the worst I contacted Sony, who said that maybe I should change the power cable. The power cable?! Last time I checked that flashing light wasn’t generated by a lack of electricity, I know the Playstation is good, but no miraculous event happened to get that red light there, so what was a different power cable going to do?

And did I require a Sony branded power lead, oh no the power of my Smart price kettle was the lead recommended by good old ‘Steve’ at the other end of the line. Nice to know all I need is a cable to repair it, I don’t mind missing a few brews to sort it, “what’s worse a new kettle or a new Ps3?” I thought.

Needless to say it didn’t work, so like a glutton for punishment of a playstation variety I phoned again. This time no pseudo technical patter, no tips on using household appliances as a power source – no this time it was just a payment needed… a whacking great bug £145 no less.

Now for that price you’d expect your own machine back wouldn’t you? Sadly not, and
instead you get what they described as a ‘reconditioned unit’. What exactly was the point of getting it fixed for such a steep price is still a wonder to me?  This problem only gets worse, by the fact that you cant just transfer your old hard drive, meaning all the game saves you had vanish without a trace. Far cry 2, Fallout 3, Little big Planet levels, Fifa leagues, the list goes on and on all mercilessly wiped from existence by the hands of the cruel yellow light.

Sony has played a blinder, ensuring that not only are you out of pocket,  your money wasted but also your time.

So I ask you the reader the question; have you heard of similar problems? Solutions? Or indeed any of your own nightmare stories of customer care? We’d love to know.

Source OPEN ME

I hope my PS3 doesnt give me these or any troubles it hasnt so far and i owned it since 7/07

Play Me

Around the Network

I think you mean "Doesn't give me"

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

It's ok RROD isn't gone yet either. I've heard reports of RE5 bundled elites getting the red ring.

But no machine is indestructible anyway. What can you do?

atleast its not a rrod thread

Both the 360 and PS3 are known to go wrong, it's just one of those things but i do think Sony should cover any costs for repairing a ps3 within the 12 months, I thought this was the law?

Around the Network

well Nintendos customer service is definitely better. When I got my Wii Christmas 06 (ok, i still had waranty) it wouldnt read games, I called Nintendo, they shipped me a new one in 3 days and i shipped the old one back in the case of the new one. And these three days where Christmas day and the 26th and 27th, not a time where too many people are working

Romance is like playing Mastermind except the girl never tells you which pegs you got right. - Seanbaby

FKNetwork said:
Both the 360 and PS3 are known to go wrong, it's just one of those things but i do think Sony should cover any costs for repairing a ps3 within the 12 months, I thought this was the law?

There is a 12 month warranty, the ps3 stated above was out of the warranty period

I'd like to know the actual numbers of these failures. I personally know people on kotaku who have fabricated stories on both sides

FKNetwork said:

In the US, it is a 1 year warranty. In other countries, who knows but I have heard of 2 year warranties. The system has been out for more than 1 year, so more than enough people have systems outside of warranty. I really hope my unit breaks within warranty, or not at all.

Sadly, my Wii sounds like it is going to break, but hasn't. Hopefully it doesn't, as it is no longer in warranty.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I have had this probelm. Luckily I only lost 6 months worth of game saves. But I did lose all of my pictures. Ever since then I backup my HDD once a month to an external HDD.