By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Punchout gets a A+ from 1up, Will it outsell Killzone 2 in its first week?

Why the hell are we comparing Punch-Out! and Killzone anyway?

LOL, you almost could not compare any more completely different games if you tried.

Punch-Out! will start off modest-decent, but will likely sell for a long time. I think it will be the coming out party for developer Next Level Games and Punch-Out! 2 for the Wii will be fast tracked into development.

Around the Network
Undying said:
Valkyria00 said:
Punch Out is a D list franchise........
*facepalm*

Yeah, right along with Kid Icarus and Clu Clu Land.

Or maybe i miss the many many entries in the series between Super Punch Out and Punch Out Wii.

Well believe what you want, but Mike Tyson's Punchout is my favorite game of all time.  My brother who is 34 years old has a Wii, he's had it for a year and a 1/2.  The only game he owns is Wii Sports.  He is going to buy this game, because of his childhood memories!

So to your assumtions, I believe they are wrong!

I would venture to say for most people who owned an NES back in the day, Punch-Out! is probably one of their top 10 favorite games for it. Say Punch-Out! to just about anyone who had an NES back in the day and they will smile.

The time is right for Punch-Out! to come back now with the Wii's huge userbase, the casual friendly controls (old school style for those who want that), and the whole "retro-cool" thing going on right now.

New Super Mario Bros. cashed in big time IMO in large part due to nostalgia.

dahuman said:
well, there is no real number, I'll give you that much, we just know 21 mil since 2007, but if a game like HL2 costed 40mil on PC when they didn't even have 160 people they have today, I really don't see how KZ2 can be any lower when they had a peak of 190 devs and at least 120 minimal and valve doesn't even come close to having that many people on a game at once, if anything, it's just logic at work. I'm just not impressed by the end result of KZ2, but that's a personal thing, and I know I'm not the only one.

@outlaw
the dev kit, ah, the lovely PS3 dev kit, that really just means that the programmers can't do anything, but that won't stop the art work and basically root work from taking place since it was announced, I'm sure those were all free right?

But it's ignorant to think that KZ2 was in development all that time with Killzone: Liberation not even finished until Holiday 2006.

The studio itself was still tiny then.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

1.5 Million is a tad optimistic. Perhaps 200k in the Americas, while maybe 80 or so in Europe (NES was not nearly so big in Europe, so nostalgia factor won't be nearly as strong to front-load sales, and maybe 30 or so in Japan)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Don't think this game will have a huge opening of 1m+ but the source seems quite optimistic about sales so 650k ish may be possible. I think it will have huge legs though, as i see this appealing to everyone, not just core gamers. I think a lot of the Wii's- very- diverse demographic picking this up at some time or other especially if it's advertised heavily. Myself, it brings nostalgic memories back. Played it at the arcades though, not on NES.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

This seems to be getting a fair bit of marketing, and it is a big revival but no chance of 1.5 million first week. I could see it doing like 150k maybe first week.

Who knows if it will catch on or not. You'd think because its such a big revivial that it could manage millions on lifetime sales, but right now I couldn't imagine that. Something like 2 million lifetime would be my estimate.

Support good third party games on wii. Buy games like house of the dead overkill, de blob, madworld, the conduit and boom blox.

I think it'll have a shit opening, everyone and their grandmother will say it's a flop, but then end up selling... say, 2.5 million lifetime.

Or maybe it'll end up at 10 million, depending on how heavily bundled the Nunchuck is.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

LOL

I'm sure it is a great game, maybe even a fantastic game... but let's not go nuts because it is getting good reviews. If history has shown us anything, it is that good reviews do not necessarily equate to good sales.

I think we can expect a couple hundred thousand first week (

It's all about the game.

It won't even get 1.5 million life time let alone week 1.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down