By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Gallup: More Americans “Pro-Life” Than “Pro-Choice” for First Time

HappySqurriel said:
akuma587 said:

And unless you are actively involved in volunteer organizations, adopt unwanted children, donate money to starving children, etc.

Pro-life people love to say that life begins at conception. Apparently they stop caring about your life once you are out of the womb. That is the ultimate hypocrisy of most pro-life people (although there are plenty who actually do many of the things listed above, and I applaud them for doing so).

That's about as fair as saying that Pro-Choice people tend to be all about the rights of minorities, but are completely willing to support a massive genocide of them as long as it only involves abortions and not messy guns ...

That was about the most blatant misrepresentation of that facts I have ever seen.  Just because you are pro-choice does not mean you are pro-abortion.  Are government bureaucrats in a better position to tell a woman what to do with her body than the woman herself?  How is that at all a conservative principle?

You are just throwing around the word genocide too for shock value and aren't even using it in the right context:

"the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group."

Allowing people getting abortions does not qualify as "deliberate" (giving people the option to do something is not deliberate) or "systemic" (a person has to get an abortion for what you are talking about to even occur, and abortion rates are dropping).  And abortion doesn't discriminate between national, racial, political, or cultural groups.  Everyone can get an abortion.  And some minority groups get less abortions than whites, such as Hispanics.

Furthermore, I don't really recall Republicans getting too upset about Darfur (actual genocide) and Israel's attacks on Gaza and the West Bank (not much better than genocide).

All I was saying in my post is that it is hypocritical to call yourself pro-life unless you do many of those other things.  And I applaud people who do those other things.  I just expect people who claim to care about life to express that with their actions.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
On another note of the sheer dumb hypocrisy. People keep going on and on about orphanages and adoption etc. Yet they rather be seen dead than pay taxes to support such institutions.

I'm sure I'll come up with more examples to cause some serious cognitive dissonance in people the more time I have to actually think about it.

Most fiscally conservative people are completely willing for tax dollars going to support institutions like orphanages ... What they are generally against is thousands of dollars of debt being built up to funnel money to institutions of supporters of politicians.

vlad321 said:
appolose said:
vlad321 said:
appolose said:
akuma587 said:
vlad321 said:
Saw this thread coming 2 days ago when I read the article about these stats.

Frankly I saw a guy put it best. You are not "pro-life" unless you are also against all kinds of torture, capital punishment, standing in line to help people with AIDS in Africa, against freedom to bear arms, etc. What you are is anti-sex and promiscuity and that's it. I frankly find it appalling just how hypocritical these "anti-sex" people are. It's fine to be hurting human life, as long as it won't promote having sex!

On another point, most anti-sex people are heavy conservatives and don't want the government to have ANY power and to just let people live. Telling what a person can do with their body is by FAR the WORST thing a government can do. Please, take 95% of my income in taxes, take my guns, control the media, whatever. Just don't fucking tell me what to do with my body. It's just sad how hypocritical people are.

Someone applaud this man!

You also aren't pro-life unless you are actively involved in volunteer organizations, adopt unwanted children, donate money to starving children, etc.

Pro-life people love to say that life begins at conception.  Apparently they stop caring about your life once you are out of the womb.  That is the ultimate hypocrisy of most pro-life people (although there are plenty who actually do many of the things listed above, and I applaud them for doing so).

I can't protest the death of an innocent person if I uphold the punishment of a guilty person?  That's hardly hypocritical, and it's a misrepresentation of the anti-abortionist stance.

Then you are not PRO-LIFE. You are anti-abortion, or as I pointed out before, just anti-sex.

The term "Pro-life", as it is most commonly used, is referring to anti-abortion.  You're taking it too literally.

Then why all it pro-life? There are more than enough uneducated people in the world to be influenced by just that term alone. Call yourself anti-abortion or whatever and leave it at that. Yall aren't pro anything, other than pro-government-can-control-my-body.

I don't know why it's called pro-life.  The point is, though, it is: "Advocating full legal protection of human embryos or fetuses, especially by opposing legalized abortion" (dictionary definition).  That's what it's almost always meant, so there is no hypocrisy.  And we think it's not your body the government would be controlling.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz

I wanna get how conservatives work, because this is how I'm seeing all this:

Government can't tax me and take my money to fund hospitals and healthcare to heal even the idiots of the land who don't deserve it. They can't take our money to fund research of technologies which may lead to dead ends. They can't control us or businesses and we should have our rights to our money and work and no one else should matter. However, government CAN take our money to fund control over our own bodies?

Please someone come here and defend your stance because it's just not making sense to me at all.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

akuma587 said:
HappySqurriel said:
akuma587 said:

And unless you are actively involved in volunteer organizations, adopt unwanted children, donate money to starving children, etc.

Pro-life people love to say that life begins at conception. Apparently they stop caring about your life once you are out of the womb. That is the ultimate hypocrisy of most pro-life people (although there are plenty who actually do many of the things listed above, and I applaud them for doing so).

That's about as fair as saying that Pro-Choice people tend to be all about the rights of minorities, but are completely willing to support a massive genocide of them as long as it only involves abortions and not messy guns ...

That was about the most blatant misrepresentation of that facts I have ever seen. Just because you are pro-choice does not mean you are pro-abortion. Are government bureaucrats in a better position to tell a woman what to do with her body than the woman herself? How is that at all a conservative principle?

You are just throwing around the word genocide too for shock value and aren't even using it in the right context:

"the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group."

People getting abortions does not qualify as "deliberate" (giving people the option to do something is not deliberate) or "systemic" (a person has to get an abortion for what you are talking about to even occur, and abortion rates are dropping). And abortion doesn't discriminate between national, racial, political, or cultural groups. Everyone can get an abortion. And some minority groups get less abortions than whites, such as Hispanics.

Furthermore, I don't really recall Republicans getting too upset about Darfur (actual genocide) and Israel's attacks on Gaza and the West Bank (not much better than genocide).

You usually have somewhat mature posts, but that was just childish. You are better than that.

Its exactly as blantent of a misrepresentation of that facts as your claims were ...

Today, more children are aborted in the world because they happen to be of an undesireable gender than all other reasons combined. As people develop the ability to predict other traits (homosexuality for example) and choose to abort a child because this trait makes it somehow undesireable, how is this not a form of eugenics and genocide?

Around the Network
appolose said:
vlad321 said:

Then why all it pro-life? There are more than enough uneducated people in the world to be influenced by just that term alone. Call yourself anti-abortion or whatever and leave it at that. Yall aren't pro anything, other than pro-government-can-control-my-body.

I don't know why it's called pro-life.  The point is, though, it is: "Advocating full legal protection of human embryos or fetuses, especially by opposing legalized abortion" (dictionary definition).  That's what it's almost always meant, so there is no hypocrisy.  And we think it's not your body the government would be controlling.

It's a marketing spin and that's why. As I stated earlier there are many people who aren't ducated enough to look too deeply into matters and they think "pro-life" sounds better.

@HappySqrl

I didn't know China and India were on the table here. I thought we were talking about the US....

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
appolose said:
vlad321 said:

It's a marketing spin and that's why. As I stated earlier there are many people who aren't ducated enough to look too deeply into matters and they think "pro-life" sounds better.

@HappySqrl

I didn't know China and India were on the table here. I thought we were talking about the US....

Most people, educated or otherwise, know quite well that pro-life refers to anti-abortion.  And I'm not sure how it being a marketing spin has anything to do with what we've been disussing.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
vlad321 said:

Government can't tax me and take my money to fund hospitals and healthcare to heal even the idiots of the land who don't deserve it. They can't take our money to fund research of technologies which may lead to dead ends. They can't control us or businesses and we should have our rights to our money and work and no one else should matter. However, government CAN take our money to fund control over our own bodies?

That's because we don't think it's your body.  I would suppose you have no problem with he government making it illegal to kill your already-born children, so you should see that, if the unborn are indeed humans, they should have such rights as the born. 

Okami

appolose said:
vlad321 said:
appolose said:
vlad321 said:

@HappySqrl

Most people, educated or otherwise, know quite well that pro-life refers to anti-abortion.  And I'm not sure how it being a marketing spin has anything to do with what we've been disussing.

You give people too much credit. I wish the world we lived in was the way you describe it, maybe then there would be less ads on TV and companies wouldn't spend millions on sociology and psyhology research to exploit people more easily. But that's not how it is sadly.

appolose said:
vlad321 said:

That's because we don't think it's your body.  I would suppose you have no problem with he government making it illegal to kill your already-born children, so you should see that, if the unborn are indeed humans, they should have such rights as the born. 

But they aren't my already-born children. They are a lump of nerveless, unresponsive (except for the most basic stimulus response, which I believe even an amoeba has) cells.