By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If the PS3 Slim is legit and releases at $299 - What will it do for sales?

Soundwave said:

a) The PS2 was not redesigned last year, it was redesigned the year before that. 

b) The PS2 is earning them money, not losing them money, lol, your company would have to be run by monkeys to have a 9 year old product lose money. 

c) Think about it, Sony didn't just lose $260 million dollars ... what this mysterious "black hole" is in their game division is sucking away their profit from the PS2 and PSP. So that means this "black hole" is likely costing them in the vicinity of $300-$400+ million in losses. 

d) Sorry, but I don't buy that a PSP redesign costs them almost a half billion dollars, lol. 

a) The redesigned PS2 appeared around feb/mar last year, in Europe. That left a lot of unsellable old PS2 to be returned...

b) You think Sony makes real profit selling a PS2's at $99 (remember when Sony removed the two PS2 chips from the PS3 and saved $100 according to many "analysts". Go figure if those two Ps2-core-chips alone saved them $100)?

c) You very conveniently left out the key points of my post.

d) I don't know where you got that idea from. Certainly not from my post.

There is no question that Sony is still losing too much money from the production of PS3 (not from the manufacturing of the PS3). The reason is everyone's guess (although there is a rumour that Sony was pulled over the table by NVidia. But that 3-year contract ends in the near future and let's hope that better business people are in command now).

Around the Network
drkohler said:
Soundwave said:

a) The PS2 was not redesigned last year, it was redesigned the year before that. 

b) The PS2 is earning them money, not losing them money, lol, your company would have to be run by monkeys to have a 9 year old product lose money. 

c) Think about it, Sony didn't just lose $260 million dollars ... what this mysterious "black hole" is in their game division is sucking away their profit from the PS2 and PSP. So that means this "black hole" is likely costing them in the vicinity of $300-$400+ million in losses. 

d) Sorry, but I don't buy that a PSP redesign costs them almost a half billion dollars, lol. 

a) The redesigned PS2 appeared around feb/mar last year, in Europe. That left a lot of unsellable old PS2 to be returned...

b) You think Sony makes real profit selling a PS2's at $99 (remember when Sony removed the two PS2 chips from the PS3 and saved $100 according to many "analysts". Go figure if those two Ps2-core-chips alone saved them $100)?

There is no question that Sony is still losing too much money from the production of PS3 (not from the manufacturing of the PS3). The reason is everyone's guess (although there is a rumour that Sony was pulled over the table by NVidia. But that 3-year contract ends in the near future and let's hope that better business people are in command now).

Either way it's not just as easy as them snapping a finger and dropping $100 off the price of a product line they are still losing money off of. 

The $100 number is something fabricated by fanboys without any logic behind it other than "we haves to competes against teh 360s dooodz". 

Sony knows full well most likely that even if they did do that, it would pretty much force Microsoft to counter (their own slim 360 and/or adding a 60GB HDD to the $199.99 model 360) with something and the same status quo would remain, except now both companies are losing more money than before ... in a recession.

Not exactly smart business. 

Wonders.

PS3beats360 said:
Graves said:
RPG said:
yes say it louder, much louder like a dirty girl.

Sony expect a 30% increase in sales so this could be a reason.

If Sony could manage to drop the price to $300 that would greatly help sales. How many years is it going to take for the PS3 to match the launch price of previous Playstation consoles?

Can Sony afford to sell a $300 PS3 though? Doesn't sound like it will help the debt PS3 made.

Increased revenue from increase PS3 software sales will more than make up for losses on PS3 hardware sales. The cost of production of PS3 towards end of 2009  should be close to $350 per PS3 unit and the cost per unit would be expected to drop lower over future revisions.

u do not understand enuf of how the prices of things work... when the ps2 came out at 199 they sold that at a loss... they said costs will go down when in reality they went up... way up (a whoping 20 bucks more then it was when the said the statement lol) then they fell...  the slim ps3 means smaller components (launch ps3 have 1000s more then modern day ps3s). smaller components means lower cost to produce. 

Well if Sin says It's real then I guess It's real. Price point? Who knows.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
RPG said:
makingmusic476 said:
RPG said:

Sin said: September

If this is true what do you think it will do for sales? I personally think someone has way too much time on their hands or this is indeed true. If this is true and releases by years end at $300 I think it will increase sales by a huge amount. With the games releasing as well it will outsell the 360 every week WW from then on in.....still will not touch the Wii though.

Did Sin actually say that?

I trust in the Sin.

Yep he said that, we must all fall to Sin. It remains to be seen what me meant by that, September reveal or release is anyone's guess.

Based on his post, it seems like it will be announced in September:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15845043&postcount=176

That would make sense.  They announced the 40gb SKU in September of '07 with a release in early October.

makingmusic476 said:
RPG said:
makingmusic476 said:
RPG said:

Sin said: September

If this is true what do you think it will do for sales? I personally think someone has way too much time on their hands or this is indeed true. If this is true and releases by years end at $300 I think it will increase sales by a huge amount. With the games releasing as well it will outsell the 360 every week WW from then on in.....still will not touch the Wii though.

Did Sin actually say that?

I trust in the Sin.

Yep he said that, we must all fall to Sin. It remains to be seen what me meant by that, September reveal or release is anyone's guess.

Based on his post, it seems like it will be announced in September:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15845043&postcount=176

That would make sense.  They announced the 40gb SKU in September of '07 with a release in early October.

LOL, is Sony content to just kill what's left of their hardware sales for the rest of the summer now? 

If these are legit, someone at Sony is going to be getting fired for the leak. Sony can't buy a break. How do you clear out inventory of old PS3 models when not only are there rumors of a new PS3 out there, but pictures floating around all over the internet? 

This also now gives Nintendo and MS tons of time to think about a counter response while they basically get to run up the score on Sony all summer long. 

drkohler said:
Soundwave said:

Slightly off topic, but currently the ps2 has been refined to the point the cpu, gpu and RDRAM have been combined into a single chip. They've reduced so many parts they can now fit the power brick inside the ps2 slim case and still have room to spare. It's genuinely amazing, specially when you consider how tame Microsoft has been on that front... 

Maybe it's hopeful thinking, but I wonder when (if ever) Sony will have enough financial breathing room to slot that ps2 ASIC inside a ps3 again.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

It will have a negative effect on sales because people are waiting for something that is not being released

Of course it will sell alot,But will it outsell the 360 WW? Doubt it.