By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Why Nintendo is always ‘doomed’

theRepublic said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
@disolitude - "Wii is a gamecube 1.5 with waggle control scheme..." jesuschrist did you use THE MOST PATHETIC EXCUSE the wii haters use?

Note to self: ignore this troll

Prove me wrong... visuals are pretty similar, online is tacked on in most basic mode if available, sounds is...well still "Whoopie", experience is not the same...but its cause of motion controls/balance board. Take that away and what are you left with...GC ports of resident evil? And nitnendo games that probably could have come out for the gamecube (and some like Zelda did).

Im not here to start a war that Wii = GC X 1.5...im just syaing that nintendo really hasn't done anything different games wise this gen. They have with accessories, so the article saying that first party games sell wii is wrong...

theRepublic said:
@disolitude

Hardware is nothing without software. It's games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart that are driving the success of the Wii.

And of those games, how many are bundled with accessories/hardware?

Around the Network

Garcian, I'm not sure where you're getting all this from. Zelda was considered a very long game, far more time than they could with Missile Command or Centipede. Yes, I agree, the arcades were about high scores. Think about what you are saying. You are suggesting that Tapper was more of a "core" game than Metroid.

Do you know the reason why "save games" came into play? Power outages. The developers saw that longer games are hard to start over again from the beginning, and a power surge or hardware glitch could undo severe progress. Imagine getting ready to fight Gannon in Death Mountain and then suddenly there's a split-second brownout in town. Those 4-5 hours you invested in getting that far are now gone. I do find it interesting how you translate save games into a "casual friendly" tool. To give you an idea, just from personal experience - my family were all gamers back in the days of arcades and Atari 2600. By the NES, only my dad would play, and that was Mario Bros and duck hunt. Everyone in the family backed out of gaming because it became more time consuming than they cared for. Games got longer, more involved than the simplistic design of Pac Man.

If people were complaining about the NES, it was because the games got harder, not because they got "casualized". Arcades were simple levels, like one of my favorites, Phoenix. They just got faster and harder. It was purely hand-eye coordination basics - the faster you could react, the further you could get. Even games that had stories in the arcades were simple reflex - think back to Dragon's Lair. Complete story, but all you had to do was follow the screen prompt to move in the right direction.

Your go from point a to b doesn't apply to many games on the NES, but Zelda being a prime one of those. The path wasnt clearly defined, and you didnt have to do most of the levels in order (tho it made it more difficult). Metroid was like this too. In fact, I can apply your argument only to side scrollers, where you couldn't even GO back to where you were (Super Mario Bros).

You seem to have a very different recollection, but it could be the location too. By some of your language, I would assume you're over in northern Europe. In New York City, entertainment culture changes rapidly, so the view on this side of the pond could have been different from your side.

theRepublic said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
@disolitude - "Wii is a gamecube 1.5 with waggle control scheme..." jesuschrist did you use THE MOST PATHETIC EXCUSE the wii haters use?

Prove me wrong... visuals are pretty similar, online is tacked on in most basic mode if available, sounds is...well still "Whoopie", experience is not the same...but its cause of motion controls/balance board. Take that away and what are you left with...GC ports of resident evil? And nitnendo games that probably could have come out for the gamecube (and some like Zelda did).

Im not here to start a war that Wii = GC X 1.5...im just syaing that nintendo really hasn't done anything different games wise this gen. They have with accessories, so the article saying that first party games sell wii is wrong...

theRepublic said:
@disolitude

Hardware is nothing without software. It's games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart that are driving the success of the Wii.

HAHAHA! Right on! :D

disolitude said:
dahuman said:
disolitude said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
chasmatic12 said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Other than that the article is right...

Besides Gears of wars, Halo, Fable on the xbox360 and Killzone and........on the PS3 what else do they offer?

Nintendo on the other hand released Zelda, Mario, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, new super mario bros and the mega succesful Mario kart wii and wii fit.

You can't deny that Nintendo is and always be the company with their strongest 1st party.

You are listing every nintendo published game in the last 2 years. You missed on xbox 360 PGR4 Forza 2 crackdown

Sony Motorstorm 1 & 2, Warhawk, Uncharted

Lot more variety is found at Ms and Sony than at nintendos first party efforts.

A lot more variety? If an action/adventure, platformer, fighter, srpg, first person shooter/adventure, 2D platformer, racer, and fitness sim isn't variety, than God help us all.

This.

Nintendo has first party everything covered. Quality, sales, variety, etc.

I am not a sony spokesperson so I can't talk for sony but take a look at MS published developed games

3rd person shooter - Gears, Gears 2

Sandbox - Crackdown

Racing -PGR3, PGR4, Forza 2

Action/Adventure - Ninja Blade, Ninja Gaiden 2, Too Human

RPG - Mass Effect, Fable 2, Lost Oddisey, Blue Dragon

FPS - Halo 3, Perfect Dark Zero

Strategy - Halo Wars

Platformer - Banj Nuts and bolts, Kameo

PArty - Lips, Scene it

Simulation - Viva Pinata, Viva Pinata 2.

Some of these obviously have great sales and some dont. Nintendo does have great sales as I stated in the previous statement. But I am speaking in the last year and a half or 2 years... Ever since Mario Glaxy, nintendo has been on a quiet mode and the products they released have sold well but have not been up to par with the other 2 consoles first party offerings...I mean, Smash Brothers and maybe Mario Kart wii are the only 2 nintendo published games I'd even consider purchasing.

Also just because there is 1 FPS game (which isn't an FPS at all but an FPA) you people think Nintendo has the genre "covered"? Give me a break.

I thought we are talking about first party, a lot of those are not first party, I know games lol. You are thinking published, which some of them are even going to be on PS3, most of those are not 1st party games O_O. you are way way off.

You are cherry picking. The talk here is about sales. I bought a 360 to play halo online, to play gears 2 and to kick ass in ninja gaiden 2.

Most new Wii owners bought the wii because of this new motion control scheme they tried and were very impressed with while playing the same old Mario Kart.

And many PS3 owners have bought the PS3 because it's a Blu-Ray player. I know this because, as a Best Buy employee, I've convinced many customers looking for a Blu-Ray player that the PS3 is the best deal for a Blu-Ray player. So what's your point?

And I bought my Wii for the incredible Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, etc.

SlumsofOhio said:
Shanobi said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Besides Gears of wars, Halo, Fable on the xbox360 and Killzone and........on the PS3 what else do they offer?

Nintendo on the other hand released Zelda, Mario, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, new super mario bros and the mega succesful Mario kart wii and wii fit.

You can't deny that Nintendo is and always be the company with their strongest 1st party.

You are listing every nintendo published game in the last 2 years. You missed on xbox 360 PGR4 Forza 2 crackdown

From where I see it, you have LESS variety. Where is your Wii Fit? Where is your electroplankton? Outside of one game every 5 years that is "different", MS and Sony put out standard games in standard genres: Motorstorm 1& 2, Warhawk, Uncharted.

Where is your Excitebots, Marioparty, Pikmin, Brain Age, and tons of other games that are uniquely found on Nintendo platforms?

Nintendo first party games cover every genre of gaming, and those which are not offered on other platforms. So saying there is "more variety" on the other systems is silly. More variety of shooters, sure. But not more variety of games.

And overall other first party efforts do not have the same critical acclaim of Nintendo properties, and no where even close in terms of sales numbers, thanks to the quality of those games creating fans that will stay with Nintendo for years.

Have you played Uncharted? How about Motorstorm? And the fact you put Warhawk in the same sentence as "standard genres" shows you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. When you've never played the games, don't comment on them. Warhawk, despite its average graphics, is on of the unique current generation games out for consoles. Please, name a game on the Wii that plays like Warhawk in any way.

Personally, I think uncharted is what tomb raider should have evolved into, but never really got there. now about warhawk and motorstorm...... sigh... I don't even want to begin. I'll just say I wasn't impressed.

Around the Network
Bobbuffalo said:
theRepublic said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:

theRepublic said:
@disolitude

I am laughing too because Wii hasn't had a AAA software release for almost a year and it still sells like hotcakes. Software must not matter that much...

dahuman said:
SlumsofOhio said:
Shanobi said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

From where I see it, you have LESS variety. Where is your Wii Fit? Where is your electroplankton? Outside of one game every 5 years that is "different", MS and Sony put out standard games in standard genres: Motorstorm 1& 2, Warhawk, Uncharted.

Where is your Excitebots, Marioparty, Pikmin, Brain Age, and tons of other games that are uniquely found on Nintendo platforms?

Nintendo first party games cover every genre of gaming, and those which are not offered on other platforms. So saying there is "more variety" on the other systems is silly. More variety of shooters, sure. But not more variety of games.

And overall other first party efforts do not have the same critical acclaim of Nintendo properties, and no where even close in terms of sales numbers, thanks to the quality of those games creating fans that will stay with Nintendo for years.

Have you played Uncharted? How about Motorstorm? And the fact you put Warhawk in the same sentence as "standard genres" shows you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. When you've never played the games, don't comment on them. Warhawk, despite its average graphics, is on of the unique current generation games out for consoles. Please, name a game on the Wii that plays like Warhawk in any way.

Personally, I think uncharted is what tomb raider should have evolved into, but never really got there. now about warhawk and motorstorm...... sigh... I don't even want to begin. I'll just say I wasn't impressed.

Please, explain. Warhawk despite its early flaws, had the most dedicated fanbase this generation. Not the biggest, but the most dedicated. The problems found at the start hampered sales, but most people would keep playing, even if stats failed to record for weeks. And the game is fun. One of the few games where CTF was played more often than Team Deathmatch.

bardicverse said:
Garcian, I'm not sure where you're getting all this from. Zelda was considered a very long game, far more time than they could with Missile Command or Centipede. Yes, I agree, the arcades were about high scores. Think about what you are saying. You are suggesting that Tapper was more of a "core" game than Metroid.

Do you know the reason why "save games" came into play? Power outages. The developers saw that longer games are hard to start over again from the beginning, and a power surge or hardware glitch could undo severe progress. Imagine getting ready to fight Gannon in Death Mountain and then suddenly there's a split-second brownout in town. Those 4-5 hours you invested in getting that far are now gone. I do find it interesting how you translate save games into a "casual friendly" tool. To give you an idea, just from personal experience - my family were all gamers back in the days of arcades and Atari 2600. By the NES, only my dad would play, and that was Mario Bros and duck hunt. Everyone in the family backed out of gaming because it became more time consuming than they cared for. Games got longer, more involved than the simplistic design of Pac Man.

If people were complaining about the NES, it was because the games got harder, not because they got "casualized". Arcades were simple levels, like one of my favorites, Phoenix. They just got faster and harder. It was purely hand-eye coordination basics - the faster you could react, the further you could get. Even games that had stories in the arcades were simple reflex - think back to Dragon's Lair. Complete story, but all you had to do was follow the screen prompt to move in the right direction.

Your go from point a to b doesn't apply to many games on the NES, but Zelda being a prime one of those. The path wasnt clearly defined, and you didnt have to do most of the levels in order (tho it made it more difficult). Metroid was like this too. In fact, I can apply your argument only to side scrollers, where you couldn't even GO back to where you were (Super Mario Bros).

You seem to have a very different recollection, but it could be the location too. By some of your language, I would assume you're over in northern Europe. In New York City, entertainment culture changes rapidly, so the view on this side of the pond could have been different from your side.

I didn't wanted to get on that topic because I was very young on the NES days but I remember a family anecdote.

I have this cousin who is now married and still loves videogames. On those days he had a comodore 64 and played with it. He didn't had a NES because he considered the NES games "lame and dumb" whil his C64 was "cool". But time laster, he bought a NES. The reason, my aunt WANTED one and he bought for her.

In the end, he sold his c64 to buy "zelda 2" "smb3" and TMNT the arcade game".

disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
theRepublic said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:

theRepublic said:
@disolitude

I am laughing too because Wii hasn't had a AAA software release for almost a year and it still sells like hotcakes. Software must not matter that much...

yeah I do find it funny as well, it kind of sucks too because it's not really Nintendo's fault, I don't think 3rd party ever really tried to get 90+ games out if you look at all the reviews, it's quiet sad.

What people don't realize is that Nintendo will NEVER be doomed. If one thing was learned from the gamecube, its that Nintendo can survive on 1st party titles alone. No other manufacturer can do that. The other two are struggling to net a profit WITH 3rd party help.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X