By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So...I finally have an HDTV... and...

rckrz6 said:
Leonidus said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
selnor said:
NinjaBlade360 said:
i did have a 32" sdtv but i got a 26" hdtv there wasnt that big of a difference

Are you serious? I think the difference is huge. SD has muddy colours and next to no texture detail. HD has much better colours ( which makes lighting look 1000 times better ) and texture detail is astonishing. On my HD telly, the difference between HD and SD is greater than DVD to video. After playing HD playing the Wii for instance feels like I need glasses when you go from 1 straight to the other.

Exactly.

Yes, he bought an HDTV, but he probably wasnt playing in in HD

I agree, if you really can;t see the difference, your either

Sitting way to far away from the TV

You need glasses

Your running SD content

Or he's got a paper bag on your head...

Around the Network

After I upgraded to HDTV, I sold my Wii and bought a 360 lol

I think that pretty much everyone who wants an HDTV has had one for years. One of my buddies replaced his 6 year old HDTV last year.

What surprises me is the amount of people with HDTVs that still use cable instead of satellite. That's astounding, because cable has so little in terms of HD to offer, charges more, and has lower HD quality as well. And some cable companies don't even offer free HD DVRs or charge like $10/mo+ for HD DVRs.

monlosez said:

Yay! you joined the big boys and left the childrens era!

FKNetwork said:
monlosez said:

Yay! you joined the big boys and left the childrens era!

Yes,  HDTV is just a tad better on Wii (Component cable 480p). But it is a hell lot better in 360 with HDMI. I had a 360 before Wii but that one RROD.

Around the Network

Of course plasmas are still far better than LCD. The only advantage of LCD is the price with small sizes.
As soon as you start entering big sizes (50+"), there is no price advantage anymore. But the best plasmas are expensive (we're talking 6000 € tax included here). That's what I will replace my current HDTV with when it dies, but there's no way I'll put so much money in a TV, so the price will have to go down.

Also, you can start referencing all the bad HDTV in this thread. Just asks every one that says SD looks bad on his HDTV which one he got: that's a HDTV model you can avoid right away. The electronics in the TV is what decides a huge part of the quality of the image output. A good HDTV should be able to enhance any SD source and make it look as good or better than on SDTV, not worse. On mine, every Wii games looks fantastic, as do GC games, the image was actually enhanced. That's the same part that will decode 1080i and decide if 1080i@60 gets you 30 frames or 60 frames.
LCD being cheap, they nearly never output SD correctly, having very bad circuitry in most cases, and poorer images.
That's not even taking into account the inferior technology problems. But a forum like AVS can show you this.
Perhaps when my HDTV dies, HDTV techs will be more mature than the mess they are now, where you have to put 6000 € in a TV for it to be decent (as my HDTV model is discontinued, unfortunately).

Congrats on the HDTV upgrade.An Element HDTV isn't that bad for your first HDTV,but why did he pay $40 for an HDMI cord--he could've gotten one off of Amazon for less than $2.

End of 2016 prediction

PS4:43M-46M

XBONE:28M-33M

So anyone have anything bigger then my 1080p projector? on a 108 inch screen?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

TheBigFatJ said:
I think that pretty much everyone who wants an HDTV has had one for years. One of my buddies replaced his 6 year old HDTV last year.

What surprises me is the amount of people with HDTVs that still use cable instead of satellite. That's astounding, because cable has so little in terms of HD to offer, charges more, and has lower HD quality as well. And some cable companies don't even offer free HD DVRs or charge like $10/mo+ for HD DVRs.

Id rather support our local cable company rather then go dish.  We have lke 8 tvs in our house and it be impossible to have them all on dish.

ookaze said:
Of course plasmas are still far better than LCD. The only advantage of LCD is the price with small sizes.
As soon as you start entering big sizes (50+"), there is no price advantage anymore. But the best plasmas are expensive (we're talking 6000 € tax included here). That's what I will replace my current HDTV with when it dies, but there's no way I'll put so much money in a TV, so the price will have to go down.

Also, you can start referencing all the bad HDTV in this thread. Just asks every one that says SD looks bad on his HDTV which one he got: that's a HDTV model you can avoid right away. The electronics in the TV is what decides a huge part of the quality of the image output. A good HDTV should be able to enhance any SD source and make it look as good or better than on SDTV, not worse. On mine, every Wii games looks fantastic, as do GC games, the image was actually enhanced. That's the same part that will decode 1080i and decide if 1080i@60 gets you 30 frames or 60 frames.
LCD being cheap, they nearly never output SD correctly, having very bad circuitry in most cases, and poorer images.
That's not even taking into account the inferior technology problems. But a forum like AVS can show you this.
Perhaps when my HDTV dies, HDTV techs will be more mature than the mess they are now, where you have to put 6000 € in a TV for it to be decent (as my HDTV model is discontinued, unfortunately).

IM in total agreement, but id still rahter use my old SD tv for viewing dvds.  They look better on the tube then my sony LCD, but im using xbox on the lcd for movie viewing and it upscales like crap