By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So...I finally have an HDTV... and...

Congratz, my dad just got us a new 46 inch Sony Bravia XBR6, I love it!

We used to have a 42 inch Toshiba but the bigger the better!

^_^

Around the Network
wichdog69 said:
I've gotta say even though both kind of tv's are great I think Plasmas are superior to LCDs. LCD's just cant match the color. Especially if you're talking about Panasonic plasmas or Pioneer elite Plasmas. I would'nt trade my Plasma for any LCD. period.

agree with u 100% 

lcd cant give a picture of a plasma and sure lcd's are gettin better but the the only thing to match plasma is LED 

but i still love my Sharp Aquos and totally in love with my Pioneer Elite 

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

wichdog69 said:
I've gotta say even though both kind of tv's are great I think Plasmas are superior to LCDs. LCD's just cant match the color. Especially if you're talking about Panasonic plasmas or Pioneer elite Plasmas. I would'nt trade my Plasma for any LCD. period.

Plasma's don't work in rooms with uncontrollable light, the glossy screen gives glare and reflections which would bother me.  Im all for plamsa in a dark room though

whats the differnce between a LCD, Plasma and LED?

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
whats the differnce between a LCD, Plasma and LED?

Someone else can go into the differences but LED (light emitting diode) is just a type of backlight that higher end LCD's use instead of florecent  (Liquid crystal display) Most tv's and pretty much all current pc monitors are LCD

Good example of a led is the power on light on the ps3..   red/green/yellow

Around the Network

@rzkrc6
Actually, newer Panasonic Vieras (like mine) have a glare reducing screen that works remarkably well. Like I said LCD's are good TV's but just like they've improved, so have Plasmas. I actually waited for a long time before getting my Plasma because of the burn in problems the early ones had. Burn in is a thing of the past though. I play games constantly on my Plasma and I've never had a problem. I've got love for both types My LCD stays in the room but the Plasma stays in the living room.

Wichdog69

wichdog69 said:
@rzkrc6
Actually, newer Panasonic Vieras (like mine) have a glare reducing screen that works remarkably well. Like I said LCD's are good TV's but just like they've improved, so have Plasmas. I actually waited for a long time before getting my Plasma because of the burn in problems the early ones had. Burn in is a thing of the past though. I play games constantly on my Plasma and I've never had a problem. I've got love for both types My LCD stays in the room but the Plasma stays in the living room.

LOL! burn in a thing of the past? maybe you should go over to AV forums or any other decent tv forum to see how many people still experiance burn in issues with plasmas, it certainly isn't a thing of the past, it maybe less likly to happen but it still does happen, leave one of your games on pause for an hour or two then tell me if the screen has started to burn in lol,

And as I said before, I bought a plasma to begin with and wasn't happy with the picture quality so went for a new LCD instead which has absolutely fantastic picture/colour etc, it won awards which included plasma screens and beat them so shows todays LCD screens are just as good if not better than plasma screens,

And as I said before, most places in the UK seem to recommend LCD over Plasma now and the newer LCD screens are getting fantastic reviews specially the screens with dynamic contrast,

I'd pick an LCD over plasma anyday, I did and have been very happy ever since!

FKNetwork said:
wichdog69 said:
@rzkrc6

LOL! burn in a thing of the past? maybe you should go over to AV forums or any other decent tv forum to see how many people still experiance burn in issues with plasmas, it certainly isn't a thing of the past, it maybe less likly to happen but it still does happen, leave one of your games on pause for an hour or two then tell me if the screen has started to burn in lol,

And as I said before, I bought a plasma to begin with and wasn't happy with the picture quality so went for a new LCD instead which has absolutely fantastic picture/colour etc, it won awards which included plasma screens and beat them so shows todays LCD screens are just as good if not better than plasma screens,

And as I said before, most places in the UK seem to recommend LCD over Plasma now and the newer LCD screens are getting fantastic reviews specially the screens with dynamic contrast,

I'd pick an LCD over plasma anyday, I did and have been very happy ever since!

Plasmas still suffer from image retention if a stationary image is kept up to long, not so much burn in as the image will fade out after like 5-10 seconds or so

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
selnor said:
NinjaBlade360 said:
i did have a 32" sdtv but i got a 26" hdtv there wasnt that big of a difference

Are you serious? I think the difference is huge. SD has muddy colours and next to no texture detail. HD has much better colours ( which makes lighting look 1000 times better ) and texture detail is astonishing. On my HD telly, the difference between HD and SD is greater than DVD to video. After playing HD playing the Wii for instance feels like I need glasses when you go from 1 straight to the other.

Exactly.

Yes, he bought an HDTV, but he probably wasnt playing in in HD

Leonidus said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
selnor said:
NinjaBlade360 said:
i did have a 32" sdtv but i got a 26" hdtv there wasnt that big of a difference

Are you serious? I think the difference is huge. SD has muddy colours and next to no texture detail. HD has much better colours ( which makes lighting look 1000 times better ) and texture detail is astonishing. On my HD telly, the difference between HD and SD is greater than DVD to video. After playing HD playing the Wii for instance feels like I need glasses when you go from 1 straight to the other.

Exactly.

Yes, he bought an HDTV, but he probably wasnt playing in in HD

I agree, if you really can;t see the difference, your either

Sitting way to far away from the TV

You need glasses

Your running SD content