By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lost Odyssey to be featured on 4 DVDs!

I like and dislike multiple discs for a few major reasons. I like it because I can play a game save while I let my friend borrow another disc to play where he is at. So it's easy to let my friend borrow the game. I dislike it because said friend never returns the game and when I want to play it again I can't cause I am missing a disc. So overall I prefer one disc. Disc changing mid game is the least of my worries however.

Around the Network

Is it just me or does it feel like Microsoft is having a better TGS day than Sony? I mean LO and AC look FANTASTIC. Ppl are commenting on these forums that the Sony games are falling below expectations on GRAPHICS of all things, Home is delayed, rumble is delayed and there is no controller trade-in scheme announced.

Edit: And no price drop this year? Come on! No remotely informed customer will purchase a PS3 this year knowing they will get a cheaper, rumble and home-enabled console early next year. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

vizunary said:
W29 said:
OMG!!!!! (The G means Gosh) are you serious. This game is going to be huge. I haven't even played Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata yet.

I'm not complaining the developers have to do what they got to do. To bring out those big games. And using 4 discs for me is not a problem. I know for sure Nintendo fanboys and Sony fansboys are going to light this thread up. So mrstickball be ready.

when does it become a problem? 5 disks? 7? 13? just curious where it becomes annoying for you...

Personally, the number of disks doesn't matter at all to me. Unless I have to switch them out every 5 minutes. But otherwise,what's the big annoyance with more disks. So after a few days playing, you have to switch to disk 2, and then the next few days you still put just one disk in when you play, or keep one disk in, until that one moment a few days later you have to switch to disk three. So the majority of the time, you still put in one disk whenever you play, so I don't see even the minorist of annoyance from this.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

I agree its not an "issue" but just something to thinkabout. FF7 came out in 1997 3 discs (Blue Dragon) FF8 came out at the end of 1999 with 4 discs (Lost Oddysey) The upgrade from the PS1 to PS2 took place 2 years later to DVD.

I think if any of us are in touch with technology denying the basic evolution of where this is going, BD or HD DVD will probably be necessary in the future. However, with improved compression and yields it may not be right now.

To assume DVD will always be enough is incredibly naive, imo. Its not a matter of "NEED" per say, its a matter of technical evolution and imo, it will start to show its head more and more in the future. It shouldnt take away from the possibly great games like BD or LO, but to ignore the advancement is just silly.

Hawk said:
vizunary said:
W29 said:
OMG!!!!! (The G means Gosh) are you serious. This game is going to be huge. I haven't even played Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata yet.

I'm not complaining the developers have to do what they got to do. To bring out those big games. And using 4 discs for me is not a problem. I know for sure Nintendo fanboys and Sony fansboys are going to light this thread up. So mrstickball be ready.

when does it become a problem? 5 disks? 7? 13? just curious where it becomes annoying for you...

Personally, the number of disks doesn't matter at all to me. Unless I have to switch them out every 5 minutes. But otherwise,what's the big annoyance with more disks. So after a few days playing, you have to switch to disk 2, and then the next few days you still put just one disk in when you play, or keep one disk in, until that one moment a few days later you have to switch to disk three. So the majority of the time, you still put in one disk whenever you play, so I don't see even the minorist of annoyance from this.

its not so much the playing aspect. Its rentals having to store 4, keeping track of 4, more chances of lost or damaged discs etc. Just convenience....its not a necessity but very little in "Videogaming" can be deemed such as it is just a leasure activity in the end. We dont NEED HD graphics, we dont NEED uncompressed audio, we dont NEED to be able ot turn on our console from our controller, we dont NEED a little keyboard attached to our controller to IM on our video game, etc. Lots of stuff we dont need but is nice in this generation. Half of technology we dont need but, seriously, i dont understand how anyone legitamately would want to argue theyd rather have 4 discs than one for a game....im inclined to believe its merely self justification, but regardless i dont understand why people would actually argue in favor of having 4 discs.......theres nothing wrong with saying, yeah its too expensive now (BD) but it will eventually be nice, the pride of some people is sad.

Around the Network

Where are the bashers? Multiple disks? Hah! blu-ray for teh winz...

Mr. Stick has it right, though. Swapping disks isn't an issue unless it is a regular back and forth kind of thing. If it is a 10 hour game with 2.5 hours per disk, I'd be irritated somewhat. If it is a 100 hour game with 25 per, I don't think it matters in the slightest.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

The # of DVDs shouldn't matter too much as long as the game is long. Sure I was a bit surprised when I saw BD was on 3 DVDs(all my other 360 games are on 1), but it doesn't really matter too much. My gf spent +80hrs playing BD, so averaging that between the 3 DVDs is like ~27hrs per DVD.

I'm definitely looking forward to picking up LO this Dec., all 4 DVDs :)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

mrstickball said:
IMO, after about 4 its too much *if* the game is short.

IE, a 5-disk 20hr game is insane, but a 5-disk 200hr game is not. That makes since?

I intentionally spelled your name wrong, libellule.

Carazo - 3 posts and your saying BD is worse than ES, yet haven't posted in either thread about the game? WTF?

Must I?

Just respect my opinion... but I didn´t criticize the disk swapping, it's about the limited storage about the Xbox 360 disks.

It's likely that you can't enter some some zones anymore in the last disk, and I just hate that, but I hope i'm wrong. 

I think I have to fall on the side of the evil anty Xbox flamers on this one. I'd much rather have the game use one disk than 4. I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker or anything like that, but disc swapping is definately going to take you out of the immersiveness. And there's the minor albiet still their problem of disk management. I'm going to go predict that we'll see one VG poster eventually lose a single disk from this game in the next year or so.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I can't help but laugh at this, 4 discs is insane, what is this....the PS1. The 360 is still under 2 years old and they have games taking up 4 discs, this is really bad. GTA4 already said they need a HDD and not every 360 has one, but you guys expect them to fit an entire city on one disc with no load times for the whole map and every building you go in.

How would you guys expect FF:13/MGS4 on 360, would you need to change discs everytime you went somewhere.