By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony says PlayStation 3 will make late comeback

It is from Sony Australia.

SONY believes its PS3 games machine has turned the corner in the battle of the video games consoles and is beginning to fight back against its rivals.

New figures released by the company to celebrate the second anniversary of the PS3 launch show sales are picking up.

Despite a record $2 billion spent by Australians on video games last year, PS3 came in third behind rivals Xbox 360 and the all-conquering Nintendo Wii.

Sales of Sony's powerful multimedia machine doubled in the year to March however, taking to 495,000 the number of PS3s now in Australians lounge rooms.

Sony Computer Entertainment Australia managing director Michael Ephraim said he believes the PS3 has come of age in the past year.

"We're witnessing uptake of the console in the Australian market for reasons beyond its strong gaming offer," he said.

Along with being the only games console to boast a built in next generation Blu-ray player, PS3 owners can do everything from surf the web to play music and movies and play games online.

Sony is also about to launch a new music video streaming service, VidZone, which will allow users to access thousands of music clips for free.

Software allowing the device to be turned into a personal video recorder is also on the way.

"Consumers are looking for a total entertainment solution that the whole family can enjoy; whether you're into games, movies or web surfing, all from the comfort of your living room," Mr Ephraim said.

But the PS3 still has a long way to go to overtake market leader Nintendo Wii, which sold more than 680,000 consoles in Australia last year.

There are now more than one million Wii consoles in Australian lounge rooms.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,25472948-5014239,00.html

Around the Network

Same old.. same old..

Pixel Art can be fun.

Are they meant to say: "We're gonna call it quits, we've been well and truely spanked?"

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Good to know that they are still ready to give the rivals a good fight

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Yeah, Sony's pretty much the only ppl still singing that tune.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Not to come across like a fanboy (too late), but I think it's nice Sony are still hanging in there and not throwing in the towel, getting beaten on all fronts can be disheartening.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I'm pretty sure they also went into this generation expecting to be the market leader, so...

But I don't disrespect them for this--they couldn't very well have said the opposite.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I wish them good luck, though I don't think luck has much to do with it =/

You don't expect them to say "Yea... we're just gonna stay here... 3rd place... It's not half bad you know."?

4 ≈ One

of course not, their stock would go down.