By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What happent to home's trophy room?

twesterm said:
Ajescent said:
so...your opinion>>>everyone else's?

No, it's just that bad things do exist and people can like and not like those bad things.  It's their decision.  I am not saying everyone hates Homes and I'm not denying that there are plenty of people that like it, but that still doesn't change the fact it's just plain bad.

Tell me what it succeeds at and I'll gladly tell you why you're wrong.

• Social application?  Only if you have the chatpad or a keyboard hooked up.  Remember, if the extra peripheral isn't supplied with the product or absolutely required, you cannot count on people having it.  So for most people, they can't chat very well.  Therefore, it's nowhere near as good as just a chat room.  So it fails there.
  • Gaming space?  If you didn't have to wait in line to play the game, perhaps.  If the games you can play when you finally get to play them weren't just basic flashgames you can find everywhere else and better, perhaps.  If you didn't have to download every individual game, perhaps.  But since it is none of those, it fails there too.
  • Steaming?  Home steams nothing.  This basic concept that has been around since the 90's it cannot do.  you have to completely download everything.  How did they screw that up that badly?  So yes, Home majorly fails on that front.
  • A world full of life?  Home is this dull lifeless void.  From your avatars with their eternal blank stares to the empty worlds you walk around, Home has no life and it just this dull sterile world.  Last time I played I went into the Gamer's Lunge expecting to see more arcade games, what did I see?  I saw one floor of a bunch of seats with a few people in them and the second floor being taken up by these huge empty glass rooms you can't even go in.  So there's something else Home fails at.
  • Red Bull Air Race?  Sounds like a cool idea and I heard it's even fun for about 30 seconds, but you have to find it first.  Anything that you need a seperate video tutorial to activate just automatically fails.  Seriously, how did they fuck that up that badly?  Everything else in the game you just walk up to and a prompt comes up, for some strange reason with the Red Bull Air Race thing you have to select a person and then cycle through everyone around you to find the prompt.  So that whole area fails.
  • Moving from area to area?  Well that fails too since you have to download every area.  Same concept as the streaming, MMO's have handled this fine since the 90's, why can't Home do this?  Again, fail.
  • Bugs?  I know, OMG IT'S A BETA!! but it's still something released to the public and the beta tag is just a shield.  Every time I go to Home I find bugs (I still can't enter the apartment building through the doors) and terrible frame rate everywhere.  Even empty rooms I still have frame rate trouble.

So yeah, what does Home succeed at?  Dance animations?

Social Application- I can't really comment on this as I don't go there to talk to people, only to play the games and look at the theatres. But the few and far between chats I've had with people have gone quite well, sure you have to wait for people to use their controllers to type but patience is all you need for that.

Gaming Space- again patience goes a long way, sure waiting in line sucks but you know there are more than one games/spaces at HOME, when one is full it usually means another is empty, what stops you from coming back another time?

Steaming- (I'll assume you mean streaming) Some videos in (eu) home stream but because my internet connection sucks majorly, the videos will buffer every second thus negating the purpose of streaming. I do agree actually, there should be more options regarding how you watch your videos.

A world full of life?- LMAO I agree whole-heartedly with this one, everyone always looks dead, it's so creepy it's funny.

Red bull air race- You don't need a video tutorial (never knew there was one) although yes the over crowding does need to be fixed.

Moving from area to area- it only takes about 5 seconds for each area to load up...5 seconds is not the end of the world...

Bugs- Yeah, the bugs are a plenty and it's my belief that home on ps3 will NEVER be out of Beta.

In conclusion, if you noticed I agreed with you on most things but unlike you I still like home, why? well

1: It's a free service with OPTIONAL microtransactions.

2: For every 5 reasons people find to rag on home, there's 1 to remind everyone just how good it is and how much potential it has.

3: I guess maybe I'm secretly an optimist and I can see the potential of what they are trying to achieve and I want to see it grow.

4: It has Xi, that in itself alone is worth all the crap that home has to offer.

Now, note these are all my opinions and everyone else is welcome to disagree but you know what, I put it to you that it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, maybe the reason why some folks aren't liking it is because.

A: They've expected too much from it, either because of Sony's hype, fanboy hype or hater hype.

B: They aren't patience enough. Like I said, Home will be in Beta till the end of the ps3 (that's my own personal gut instinct) so don't expect ANYTHING from it

C: They just want to hate it because it's the cool thing to do without even trying it first hand (note, not referring to you twesterm).

But that's just how I see things.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

well i really do see home as a total success but it not a bad place to lose son time, if you dont have a game or all tha games that you have are already finish, you can go to home to chat with someone and thats not a bad idea, but the have to put more spaces and more interactivity to de world

The said:
^you have too much time in your hands, and to much hatred for something you don't care about....

Who said I didn't care about it?  I said I don't like it, but didn't say I don't care about it.  If it was actually done well, Home could have been a pretty cool feature for the PS3.

betsfro said:
well i really do see home as a total success but it not a bad place to lose son time, if you dont have a game or all tha games that you have are already finish, you can go to home to chat with someone and thats not a bad idea, but the have to put more spaces and more interactivity to de world

what s/he said.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Ajescent said:

Social Application- I can't really comment on this as I don't go there to talk to people, only to play the games and look at the theatres. But the few and far between chats I've had with people have gone quite well, sure you have to wait for people to use their controllers to type but patience is all you need for that.

Gaming Space- again patience goes a long way, sure waiting in line sucks but you know there are more than one games/spaces at HOME, when one is full it usually means another is empty, what stops you from coming back another time?

Steaming- (I'll assume you mean streaming) Some videos in (eu) home stream but because my internet connection sucks majorly, the videos will buffer every second thus negating the purpose of streaming. I do agree actually, there should be more options regarding how you watch your videos.

A world full of life?- LMAO I agree whole-heartedly with this one, everyone always looks dead, it's so creepy it's funny.

Red bull air race- You don't need a video tutorial (never knew there was one) although yes the over crowding does need to be fixed.

Moving from area to area- it only takes about 5 seconds for each area to load up...5 seconds is not the end of the world...

Bugs- Yeah, the bugs are a plenty and it's my belief that home on ps3 will NEVER be out of Beta.

In conclusion, if you noticed I agreed with you on most things but unlike you I still like home, why? well

2: For every 5 reasons people find to rag on home, there's 1 to remind everyone just how good it is and how much potential it has.

3: I guess maybe I'm secretly an optimist and I can see the potential of what they are trying to achieve and I want to see it grow.

4: It has Xi, that in itself alone is worth all the crap that home has to offer.

Now, note these are all my opinions and everyone else is welcome to disagree but you know what, I put it to you that it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, maybe the reason why some folks aren't liking it is because.

A: They've expected too much from it, either because of Sony's hype, fanboy hype or hater hype.

B: They aren't patience enough. Like I said, Home will be in Beta till the end of the ps3 (that's my own personal gut instinct) so don't expect ANYTHING from it

C: They just want to hate it because it's the cool thing to do without even trying it first hand (note, not referring to you twesterm).

• Social Application-- So imagine talking to someone and trying to have a conversation with them, but instead of just a normal conversation or even a normal AIM conversation, there are very long pauses.  That's fine for really quick things, but to actually talk to people, what a social application should do, it sucks.  Just look at cell phones.  At first, people used a number pad to input text and people quickly realized you can't do much with that.  They started making phones with actual keyboards so people could actually talk in text messages and now we have the phones we do.  Typing with the controller just isn't the optimal solution and fails in comparison to any other social application.  It doesn't even have voice chat.
  • Gaming Space -- I shouldn't have to wait in line for a game.  Patience has nothing to do with it, waiting in lines just isn't fun.  You don't go to Six Flags to wait in line, you go to ride the rides.  If waiting in line were fun, they would have a wait in line ride.  I appreciate Home is trying to mimic real life, but there are some things that just should not be brought over.  There is absolutely no excuse for having to wait in line to play games in Home, it's just one of the worst ideas ever in the history of gaming.
  • Streaming (yes, meant streaming, curse my terrible typing skills)-- I've never seen anything stream, are you sure it just wasn't downloading (and downloading slowly at that)?  Where did you see a movie stream?  I know it was in the movie theater and wasn't in Sully's Bar.
  • Red Bull Air Race-- entirely not obvious and the fact so many people missed it someone had to make a video tutorial means it fails.  It's different than everything else in Home and that's just all around bad design.
  • Bugs-- Agreed, it will never leave Beta because they know forum fanboys will always carry that beta shield.

So on things you like:

• It's free-- yes, that is a good thing I suppose but only because paying for that would mean an even bigger failure.
  • Microtransactions-- already stated that's the only thing it does well
  • Sooo a 5:1 ration of people that don't like it to people that do like it?  That probably means it's not very good.  Again, I'm not denying that people like it, but just because there are people that like doesn't make it a good thing.
  • It had potential, but in order to actually fix it they would have to completely revamp it and they just aren't going to do that on the PS3.  Perhaps on the PS4, but not on the PS3.
  • As I said, I haven't played with XI yet, I'll give it ago soon enough since I try to play Home every few months.

On your opinions:

• People expected too much because Sony hyped it too much.  But still, even if we did expect just a little from it, you would hope the basic functionality still works.  Home itself is just broken and doesn't really do anything well (except microtransactions of course).
  • I don't expect anything from it

Around the Network

all i can think is that nobody ask for home sony just gave it to us and no other console has a place where the can go and chat with another console owners its not a perfect place but nobody gets it right the firts time, but its the best place to start. and home its free of charge so its not a bad place as so many put it

I recently went back into HOME (Kaz held a gun to my noggin) and it will full so people still visit it. I have no idea whom these people are and why they would enter it on their own free will but I see them. Also many little micro-transactions in HOME are bound to have made Sony a pretty penny as well as these 3rd parties.

Sony need to hook people back into HOME and one way I see it happening very soon is streaming the Playstation E3 conference in HOME. I am sure many people will visit HOME for that and more features should hook a couple more people back into HOME. It's just not finished yet but Sony had to release it since it had been announced so long ago but patience.

twesterm said:
Ajescent said:

• Social Application-- So imagine talking to someone and trying to have a conversation with them, but instead of just a normal conversation or even a normal AIM conversation, there are very long pauses.  That's fine for really quick things, but to actually talk to people, what a social application should do, it sucks.  Just look at cell phones.  At first, people used a number pad to input text and people quickly realized you can't do much with that.  They started making phones with actual keyboards so people could actually talk in text messages and now we have the phones we do.  Typing with the controller just isn't the optimal solution and fails in comparison to any other social application.  It doesn't even have voice chat.
  • Gaming Space -- I shouldn't have to wait in line for a game.  Patience has nothing to do with it, waiting in lines just isn't fun.  You don't go to Six Flags to wait in line, you go to ride the rides.  If waiting in line were fun, they would have a wait in line ride.  I appreciate Home is trying to mimic real life, but there are some things that just should not be brought over.  There is absolutely no excuse for having to wait in line to play games in Home, it's just one of the worst ideas ever in the history of gaming.
  • Streaming (yes, meant streaming, curse my terrible typing skills)-- I've never seen anything stream, are you sure it just wasn't downloading (and downloading slowly at that)?  Where did you see a movie stream?  I know it was in the movie theater and wasn't in Sully's Bar.
  • Red Bull Air Race-- entirely not obvious and the fact so many people missed it someone had to make a video tutorial means it fails.  It's different than everything else in Home and that's just all around bad design.
  • Bugs-- Agreed, it will never leave Beta because they know forum fanboys will always carry that beta shield.

So on things you like:

• It's free-- yes, that is a good thing I suppose but only because paying for that would mean an even bigger failure.
  • Microtransactions-- already stated that's the only thing it does well
  • Sooo a 5:1 ration of people that don't like it to people that do like it?  That probably means it's not very good.  Again, I'm not denying that people like it, but just because there are people that like doesn't make it a good thing.
  • It had potential, but in order to actually fix it they would have to completely revamp it and they just aren't going to do that on the PS3.  Perhaps on the PS4, but not on the PS3.
  • As I said, I haven't played with XI yet, I'll give it ago soon enough since I try to play Home every few months.

On your opinions:

• People expected too much because Sony hyped it too much.  But still, even if we did expect just a little from it, you would hope the basic functionality still works.  Home itself is just broken and doesn't really do anything well (except microtransactions of course).
  • I don't expect anything from it

1st off, I should have specified I'm EU not NA so our Home experience will differ, in the EU theatres, they streamed the trailers for "The Uninvited" and some other video I completely forget the name of after waiting 5-10mins (because of my crappy internet connection) for videos to download, watching them is no hassle whatsoever.

With regards to typing with controllers, I guess that's why the keypads were introduced. Now I've never used one so I'll refer to reviews I'm heard of it, supposedly it's easier to use when compared to controllers and yes when talking to people or looking at conversations, it's easy to tell who has what.

With regards to Six flags (no idea what that is :D) I'm gonna go ahead and assume you paid for that therefore you have every right to demand better service and although many don't agree with this but I think if you're being offered a freebie then you really can't complain about quality. With that said I do feel the demands are sometimes unwarrented. e.g

When you go to six flags and the ride you want to ride is full, do you demand they allow more people in or wait in line or go somewhere else until the lines come down? Again this is my personal take but if Space/game A is crowded it means B is free, what's the harm in going to B until A is free?

I've never seen the video but it seems to me that there's a tutorial for just about everything these days, home included there are even tutorials on how to exploit bugs. Since this is a beta, I put it out there that people shouldn't be encouraging each other to exploit bugs but should be pointing the devs in the right direction on fixes.

From my understanding you are a developer right? Imagine you were in the shoes of the makers of Home, you are offering a free service for people to have fun yet people undermine your efforts at every turn, exactly where's the incentive to improve on a product that was meant as a gift?

As for Bugs...nothing's perfect, I draw attention to the new fad of releasing broken games and patching them later on, the difference between Home and those is that we paid £30/$50-60 for them.

As for my opinions I should point out what I like about it, The Theaters, the events (I still remember having a blast at the psp treasure hunt a while back and Xi is still fun till today) the games, (helicopter hit is still fun and so is the new Siren one in the NA region not to mention I go bowling every now and then.)

As you've said before, you could probably get similar things to these elsewhere but better implimented but I counter by saying, sure it ain't perfect (and probably never will be) but you know what? it's all conviently placed in one package and I don't have to search too deep to find them.

I've said it a dozen times already but the fact that it's not pay to utilise IMO earns it a few brownie points. I know you want it to succeed and all but I can't help but feel there are those who just want it to fail regardless and I think that's sad.

so how is actualy enjoin having home and the ps3, i like it for may part i dont spend hour on it but when im bored i give it a swing

Ajescent said:

With regards to Six flags (no idea what that is :D) I'm gonna go ahead and assume you paid for that therefore you have every right to demand better service and although many don't agree with this but I think if you're being offered a freebie then you really can't complain about quality. With that said I do feel the demands are sometimes unwarrented. e.g

When you go to six flags and the ride you want to ride is full, do you demand they allow more people in or wait in line or go somewhere else until the lines come down? Again this is my personal take but if Space/game A is crowded it means B is free, what's the harm in going to B until A is free?

I've never seen the video but it seems to me that there's a tutorial for just about everything these days, home included there are even tutorials on how to exploit bugs. Since this is a beta, I put it out there that people shouldn't be encouraging each other to exploit bugs but should be pointing the devs in the right direction on fixes.

From my understanding you are a developer right? Imagine you were in the shoes of the makers of Home, you are offering a free service for people to have fun yet people undermine your efforts at every turn, exactly where's the incentive to improve on a product that was meant as a gift?

Think of Six Flags as just another Disney Land.  Large amusement part with roller coasters and other rides.

My point in bringing that up is that lines aren't fun.  If you're going to try to make something like a game, you should do everything you can to make it fun.  Frustrating things like waiting in lines is not fun.

So if you're making an arcade, it's fine to try to mimic real life, and in fact, again, I applaud home for trying, but lines are not something they should have tried to mimic.  Again, it is not fun waiting.  Think of loading times.  If waiting was fun, we wouldn't do everything in our power to decrease loading times or mask loading times.  If you play a game like Roller Coaster Tycoon, when you test out your coaster you don't wait in a line.  When you do anything in the Sims, there are no lines.  When you go to an auction house in any MMO, there are no lines. 

All these games are taking the un-fun parts out of real life because people don't want that part of real life.  For some reason Home tried too hard to mimic real life and brought in the parts that people don't want.  If there were some other reason for waiting in lines besides bothering people that would be one thing, but waiting serves no other purpose.

And my beef with the Air Race thing is that it's different than everything else in Home and it's different in a bad way.  This isn't your this is how you fire your gun, this is how you go into cover, ect tutorial, this is a how to get past the terrible design tutorial.  There's a huge difference.

Just for reference, here's one of the videos:

Again, not obvious at all and different than everything else = very bad.

And Home does get something for being free, but not much.  If it were good and free I would give it a lot more credit, but I can get free wastes of time all over the internet and are much better.  Just because it had a large development time and budget and it's still free doesn't mean it's a little better, it actually just makes it that much more of an embarrassment.

And if I was a Home developer, I actually wouldn't tell anybody.  I would lie and tell people I'm in construction or just anything else actually.