By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is Microsoft killing off PC gaming?

Megadude said:

@ STAGE: Get over what? I have a Wii, PS3 AAANND a gaming PC plus I just picked up a PS2 I am in gaming heaven. I actually hope people are right that the 360 will match the PS3 pricecut so I can get a 360 for less then a DS soon.

But is it smart to keep shafting PC gamers? I never said they never pay for games, I said ONLINE GAMING FEES, only 360 users pay for online gaming.

Microsoft isn't shafting PC gamers. Those games were meant for the 360! The only reason Microsoft made PC versions was because MGS had already been publishing PC games. When they put 360 exclusives on PC last gen it devalued the original Xbox terribly and resulted in shitty console sales. Microsoft never shafted PC gamers. If want games meant for the 360, then buy one.

P.S.

The 360 is going to cut the price this year regardless of whether Sony does it or not.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Megadude said:

@ STAGE: Get over what? I have a Wii, PS3 AAANND a gaming PC plus I just picked up a PS2 I am in gaming heaven. I actually hope people are right that the 360 will match the PS3 pricecut so I can get a 360 for less then a DS soon.

But is it smart to keep shafting PC gamers? I never said they never pay for games, I said ONLINE GAMING FEES, only 360 users pay for online gaming.

And THERE we have it.  The dude is one of these Playstation fanboys, who is a Power PC gamer and resents that he can't get games on his power PC that is on Microsoft's console.

Megadude, get over it!  If you like these XBox console exclusives, get yourself an 360.  It isn't hard.  There are reasons why the XBox line is becoming a place for Microsoft to focus on gaming.  The reason is that they face less piracy and greater sales revenue and profits on there.  Console gaming is a lot easier to get into, and appeals to more people.  You don't have to be a power user to get the fullness out of it.  Deep down in your heart, because you are Playstation fan, and a Power PC user, you want the XBox line to DIE and Microsoft to get out of console gaming completely.  Own up to it and admit it.

Lol I'm not a fanboy, fanboys put their mii avatars in their sigs. WOOOAh let's ignore the truth! PC gaming is not getting the support it used to by a mile! The question is Is this a smart move from MS? I also said I might get a 360 if the price drops this year. That has nothing to do with the topic at hand and you want to derail the thread.

Megadude said:
richardhutnik said:
Megadude said:

And THERE we have it.  The dude is one of these Playstation fanboys, who is a Power PC gamer and resents that he can't get games on his power PC that is on Microsoft's console.

Megadude, get over it!  If you like these XBox console exclusives, get yourself an 360.  It isn't hard.  There are reasons why the XBox line is becoming a place for Microsoft to focus on gaming.  The reason is that they face less piracy and greater sales revenue and profits on there.  Console gaming is a lot easier to get into, and appeals to more people.  You don't have to be a power user to get the fullness out of it.  Deep down in your heart, because you are Playstation fan, and a Power PC user, you want the XBox line to DIE and Microsoft to get out of console gaming completely.  Own up to it and admit it.

Lol I'm not a fanboy, fanboys put their mii avatars in their sigs. WOOOAh let's ignore the truth! PC gaming is not getting the support it used to by a mile! The question is Is this a smart move from MS? I also said I might get a 360 if the price drops this year. That has nothing to do with the topic at hand and you want to derail the thread.

Of course it's not getting the support (xbox exclusives) that was support to get, because last gen it devalued the original Xbox. Haven't you noticed that because the 360 has far more exclusives, more people are buying the system?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Megadude said:
richardhutnik said:
Megadude said:

Of course it's not getting the support (xbox exclusives) that was support to get, because last gen it devalued the original Xbox. Haven't you noticed that because the 360 has far more exclusives, more people are buying the system?

So you think they should cut support for the pc?

Megadude said:

If we were to talk Avatars as a sign of fanboydom, you would be a fanboy of 1980s cartoons, or at least one in particular (I find this to be truely, truely outrageous). 

Anyhow, PC gaming isn't something Microsoft can kill off.  That is the nature of the business.  PC gaming has a life of its own actually, and will do whatever it does, without anyone controlling it.  Microsoft has apparently found that the overhead to do PC game development is such that it doesn't make the best financial sense to go after it.  If you were to go down the this path, you would end up also pointing how how they closed studios that worked primarily on PC games.  Ensemble is now gone, as is Aces.  Others have been closed to.

What is seen here is that titles that came out over a year ago, just don't sell that well when released on another platform.  A part of it has to do with the fact you need a marketing budget to drive large number of sales.  When you miss this window, you end up costing sales.

By the way, if PC gaming is THAT profitable, why isn't Sony porting games it has over to the PC?  Are they porting ANYTHING over at all?

Around the Network

But you're all ignoring the point that PC gaming is an incentive for people to use windows :P

JaggedSac said:
Oh lord.

It has to do with the fact that PC sales aren't guaranteed and are diminishing on many genres
Gears 1 on PC sold a *fraction* of what was expected, for instance
and PC development is more of a hassle as there are a LOT of additional compatability coding, tuning and testing needs.

Console development uses a single video/cpu/ram profile, PCs have TONS of profiles which each require optimization.

Casual Games (Popcap stuff, for instance), Sims and Wow-style games do better on PC and you've gots them.

And, of course, exclusive content is what drives people to the consoles, so if Fable II or Gears 2 were instantly available on the PC, there'd be less reason to pick up a console... even though a console's generally cheaper than a new vid card for a PC, some people just love handing ATI and Nvidia cash for the newest new.

That leaves out the fact that Piracy on the PC is *probably* more pervasive than on consoles.

Megadude said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Megadude said:
richardhutnik said:
Megadude said:

So you think they should cut support for the pc?

Of course. People who got Xbox exclusives on PC were lucky and took advantage of Microsofts inexperience in the console gaming realm. Microsoft will never cut off true support for the PC, because they've been supporting the PC gaming and simulations for nearly two decades, but not the games that are the face of the 360 any longer.

Also, why is Microsoft responsible for this?

There are hundreds of companies that make games... you think that Microsoft exclusives are what can sink or save the PC?!? The platform's open, anyone can make games.

Oh, and Blizzard calls and says hello.