By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is Microsoft killing off PC gaming?

I don't see it, personally. About 80% of the XB360 Library is available on the PC as well. Sure, there are some exclusives for the 360, to give incentive to buy a 360, but I can acquire about 80% of Xb360 games and 95% of PS3 games for my PC, and they play a LOT better, better texture quality, shaders, framerates, etc.

Around the Network
Megadude said:

Why is MS big? Because of the Zune? The Xbox? No, Microsoft is big because of Windows. So why is it that they have been cockblocking on games becoming available for PC? Games like Fable 2 Gears 2 Halo 3. On Pc? Nope. Why not? Why is it that many games that do come out for PC have already been on 360 for a year. I figured out why: LIVE.

Live for Windows was a failure. No self respecting PC gamer will pay for online gaming (unless it's an MMORPG). But X-Box users they just loooove Live and they will pay for it. If people need to buy your system to play your games then they will need to pay you money to play Live. All that live money is like free cash for MS.

Now I'm not saying PC gaming is dead. But you cannot deny that MS is treating the PC as an ugly stepchild giving it the old scraps off of 360's plate or somtimes sending it to bed without dinner. But does this make sense? When people talk about why they prefer Windows one leg up that MS has always had was gaming. Denying Windows any game of any form makes no sense to me.

Megadude from Manhattan

I'm very glad it's this way, I wouldn't want all the top 360 games on PC right away,

All cool where i'm standing!

Megadude said:

Why is MS big? Because of the Zune? The Xbox? No, Microsoft is big because of Windows. So why is it that they have been cockblocking on games becoming available for PC? Games like Fable 2 Gears 2 Halo 3. On Pc? Nope. Why not? Why is it that many games that do come out for PC have already been on 360 for a year. I figured out why: LIVE.

Live for Windows was a failure. No self respecting PC gamer will pay for online gaming (unless it's an MMORPG). But X-Box users they just loooove Live and they will pay for it. If people need to buy your system to play your games then they will need to pay you money to play Live. All that live money is like free cash for MS.

Now I'm not saying PC gaming is dead. But you cannot deny that MS is treating the PC as an ugly stepchild giving it the old scraps off of 360's plate or somtimes sending it to bed without dinner. But does this make sense? When people talk about why they prefer Windows one leg up that MS has always had was gaming. Denying Windows any game of any form makes no sense to me.

Megadude from Manhattan

First of all, it's a given that Microsoft is big because of Windows. The Zune isn't doing too bad as itself (Wanna see a shitty MP3 player?...look no further than Sony). Fable 2, Gears 2 and Halo 3 aren't being cockblocked because Microsoft has deals or owns the IP to the games. Microsoft wants the full focus to be on making the 360 abundant. It's amazing, but you guys jump on Microsoft for not having exclusives, but as soon as they make their games exclusive you still complain. Those games were not meant for the PC; they were meant for the 360. Having the games on two systems only hurt the 360's image as far as having exclusives is concerned.

How many gamers have pirated copies of games? The industry has to find some way of making money. If you say no self respecting PC gamer would pay for games, either they get free products or they are pirating it. So you're saying developers must make free servers? The way this economy is going, they don't have to do a thing. Blizzard has made massive amount of money off of people with their various games, but World of Warcraft has cemented the company in a position where they can take greater financial risk in making games. The question is, do you want the best a developer can give or crap?

MS isn't treating PC like any ugly step child, because as you omitted, they've been publishing PC games for the PC way before Sony entered gaming. For MGS (Microsoft Gaming Studios) to be able to excell in console gaming, they must take a step back from PC for once. Get over it.

@ FKNetwork:

So you wouldn't give a damn if PC gaming would just go away correct?

PC gaming is far from dying. It is just transitioning back to being controlled by indie developers versus corporations.

This is good because Combat Arms is an awesome game with its "nut shot"

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
Megadude said:
Please feel free to add your opinion as to why MS is cockbloking games on PC. Unless of course you're just here to troll.

This is rubbish. MS was publishing games for PC and making gaming materials for PC way before they entered the console race.

The truth is that we already should have a central HUb and all of our eletronics receiving a wireless signal from that, but general companies interests seems to prevent it.(I think it has to do with Copyright or something like that)

The central HUB would function as pc, tv, Hi-Fi and console. All you'd have to buy were the interfaces. There is tecnology for that and I reckon it will come to us eventually.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Megadude said:
Please feel free to add your opinion as to why MS is cockbloking games on PC. Unless of course you're just here to troll.

Because, MAYBE, just MAYBE, Microsoft wants the XBox to have some exclusives?  Why isn't Sony porting all its games over to the PC?  Why are they trying to kill off PC gaming?  If Gran Turismo is all that, don't you think PC gamers would be interested in it?  Or can't Gran Turismo hold a candle to driving sims on the PC?

You do know that Sony makes PCs, right?

@ STAGE: Get over what? I have a Wii, PS3 AAANND a gaming PC plus I just picked up a PS2 I am in gaming heaven. I actually hope people are right that the 360 will match the PS3 pricecut so I can get a 360 for less then a DS soon.

But is it smart to keep shafting PC gamers? I never said they never pay for games, I said ONLINE GAMING FEES, only 360 users pay for online gaming.

Megadude said:

@ STAGE: Get over what? I have a Wii, PS3 AAANND a gaming PC plus I just picked up a PS2 I am in gaming heaven. I actually hope people are right that the 360 will match the PS3 pricecut so I can get a 360 for less then a DS soon.

But is it smart to keep shafting PC gamers? I never said they never pay for games, I said ONLINE GAMING FEES, only 360 users pay for online gaming.

And THERE we have it.  The dude is one of these Playstation fanboys, who is a Power PC gamer and resents that he can't get games on his power PC that is on Microsoft's console.

Megadude, get over it!  If you like these XBox console exclusives, get yourself an 360.  It isn't hard.  There are reasons why the XBox line is becoming a place for Microsoft to focus on gaming.  The reason is that they face less piracy and greater sales revenue and profits on there.  Console gaming is a lot easier to get into, and appeals to more people.  You don't have to be a power user to get the fullness out of it.  Deep down in your heart, because you are Playstation fan, and a Power PC user, you want the XBox line to DIE and Microsoft to get out of console gaming completely.  Own up to it and admit it.