By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How important is it to you PS3 beats 360 in console sales war?

Darc Requiem said:
Ronster316 said:

@ Darc Requiem

Very good post.

I know Sega caused part of their own downfall, but theres no denying that "Moneybags" sony moneyhatting 3rd party games left, right and centre & paying through the nose to advertise on every damn street corner, bus shelter, nightclub and during every t.v. commercial break didn't help Sega's situation either.

As i said before, Sega never had and never will have the kind of money to throw around that the likes of Sony and Microsoft do.

To say Sega would be out of the console business if sony didn't come along is unrealistic.

About moving on.............. well, this gereration has truly given me hope that one day i WILL finally be able to move on.

Ronster, you are in denial. Sega killed their consumer confidence, not Sony. Sega pissed of retailers in the US and Japan. Not Sony. Sega turned down the N64 architecture for the 9 processor nightmare called Saturn. Sega spent R&D money on two seperate architectures for the Dreamcast. Yes that is right, Sega of America and Sega of Japan had to seperate chipsets in development for what became the Dreamcast. Sega of America comissioned 3Dfx based console design, Sega of Japan commissioned a PowerVR based design. So not only did they spend twice the R&D necessary. They had to go to court when 3Dfx sued them after they choose the PowerVR design. This kind of stupidity that epitomizes the business end of Sega.

Sega was the most versatile developer in the gaming industry. They were the only developer capable of making a AAA title in any genre. Yet they were unable to capatilize on their software quality and be a financial success. Sega should have been able to sustain at bare minimum a niche market in the console business purely based on their own software. Similar to how Nintendo continued to make money after third parties jumped ship to Sony. Unfortunately the business minds at Sega were just as incompetent as their game development minds were brilliant.

Awesome.....The Last 12 years of My life have not been a waste...Some one I do not Know understands

Around the Network
Sardauk said:
PS3beats360 said:
By end of this generation the top 10 games of all time will be all exclusive to the PS3. That is the main reason why PS3 will outsell the XBox 360. PS3 has the best games. Sony delivers games to PS3 owners.
PS3 has free online, Blu-Ray, internet browsing, multimedia capabilitiesn and the best games library of all time.
PS3 will have by end of generation top 10 exclusive games of all time:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Final Fantasy Versus XIII
3. Killzone 2
4. God of War 3
5. Uncharted 2
6. Little Big Planet
7.Metal Gear Solid 4
8. White Knight Chronicles
9. Valkyrie Chronicles
10. MAG

Could you add something like "IMO" or "in my wet dreams" ?

lol       ^

MikeB said:

@ Garnett

To quote devs:

"The disadvantage of Sony's [PSN] is that there isn't as much defined by Sony as to how you have to do things - they leave it very much up to you", "But at the same time, because it's not as strongly defined, you have the freedom to do it in the way that you want [on PSN] - in a way that may be more suitable to your game."

"Microsoft is only slowly increasing requirements and opening up the constraints of Xbox Live. It's been a slow process, whereas PSN hasn't been restricted by size"

"The hard drive is needed to store temporary data when playing online as the data transferred from one console to another requires storage space greater than what the memory card can contain."

Microsoft is a lot stricter and demands the usage of their less flexible protocols.

The size limit restrictions you are talking about is merely for xbl arcade games, not regular downloadable content which is what LBP content would be described as.  All of your quote are moot, because you are claiming that xbl couldn't take advantage of this kind of system.  Just like Sony, if microsoft wanted to do something like this, they could. 

Take Halo 3 for example, user generated maps and gametypes are shared millions of times a day.  I think that would definetly be considered user generated content. 

Your argument is silly, any kind of online content can be just as available on the 360 as the ps3.  Of course, now you will probably find some random blog entry and quote it out of context to try and prove me wrong, but it doesn't matter.  Because if you use your head, you really can't prove me wrong.  Microsoft could just as easily make a LBP type game and have user generated content, there isn't anything stopping them.

Darc Requiem said:
Ronster316 said:

@ Darc Requiem

Very good post.

I know Sega caused part of their own downfall, but theres no denying that "Moneybags" sony moneyhatting 3rd party games left, right and centre & paying through the nose to advertise on every damn street corner, bus shelter, nightclub and during every t.v. commercial break didn't help Sega's situation either.

As i said before, Sega never had and never will have the kind of money to throw around that the likes of Sony and Microsoft do.

To say Sega would be out of the console business if sony didn't come along is unrealistic.

About moving on.............. well, this gereration has truly given me hope that one day i WILL finally be able to move on.

Ronster, you are in denial. Sega killed their consumer confidence, not Sony. Sega pissed of retailers in the US and Japan. Not Sony. Sega turned down the N64 architecture for the 9 processor nightmare called Saturn. Sega spent R&D money on two seperate architectures for the Dreamcast. Yes that is right, Sega of America and Sega of Japan had to seperate chipsets in development for what became the Dreamcast. Sega of America comissioned 3Dfx based console design, Sega of Japan commissioned a PowerVR based design. So not only did they spend twice the R&D necessary. They had to go to court when 3Dfx sued them after they choose the PowerVR design. This kind of stupidity that epitomizes the business end of Sega.

Sega was the most versatile developer in the gaming industry. They were the only developer capable of making a AAA title in any genre. Yet they were unable to capatilize on their software quality and be a financial success. Sega should have been able to sustain at bare minimum a niche market in the console business purely based on their own software. Similar to how Nintendo continued to make money after third parties jumped ship to Sony. Unfortunately the business minds at Sega were just as incompetent as their game development minds were brilliant.

I'm in denial?

How many people bought a ps1 due to the fact that every which damn way you turned you would see "playstation" advertisements?

You could not go anywhere in 1994-1995-1996 without seeing playstation advertisements.

I have said before that Sega made mistakes, but once sony entered the gaming market with their "billions" and their determination to sweeten up every 3rd party developer on the market with "moneyhats" there really was little resistance that Sega could put up.

Sony's mistakes at management level can simply be swept under the carpet due to sony's financial muscle, Sega's mistakes unfortunately cost them their place in the console hardware business.

sony's rise was fast, they almost took out Nintendo aswell as Sega.

How many more consoles had the ps1 sold compared to the Sega saturn by 1998?

If every Tom, Dick and harry is buying a ps1 then it's highly likely that they are snubbing the Sega Saturn.

And you don't think that sony are partly responsible for Sega's position?

Ronster316 said:
Lafiel said:
Ronster316 said:

Those who know my history and loyalty to Sega will understand.......................

Sony were the 1st "corporation" to arrive in the console gaming business therefore i couldn't give a toss about them.

When sony taste defeat (not if........ when) then i will congratulate whichever company it is that inflicts the pain....... Wether it's Nintendo, Microsoft or even a new player (apple for example)

really?

Philips: CD-i 1990

Panasonic: 3DO 1991

Sony: Playstation 1994

Ok, fair enough......... 1st "corporation" to p*ss on REAL gaming companies like Sega and Nintendo.

I stand corrected.

Either way i don't like how they got in to this business and therefore will never have any respect for them.

Ronster, I completely agree with any of your posts in this thread. My primary reason for holding a grudge against Sony is that I grew up with Sega during the 8bit and 16bit era, and have identified Sony as those who essentially put them out of business. I admit that Sega made huge mistakes themselves, but _if_ it had been just Sega and Nintendo forever, I imagine that Sega would still build hardware. So I hate Sony for entering this business.

That being said, it's not really important to me that PS3 beats Xbox. On the contrary, I would love to see the PS3 fail even more than it has up till now.

Around the Network

woahh...
I didn't realize my fellow SEGA fans (owned Mega Drive/Genesis,Game Gear,Saturn and DC) were so hate-filled and vindictive ... that's really sad

Golvellius said:
Ronster316 said:
Lafiel said:
Ronster316 said:

Those who know my history and loyalty to Sega will understand.......................

Sony were the 1st "corporation" to arrive in the console gaming business therefore i couldn't give a toss about them.

When sony taste defeat (not if........ when) then i will congratulate whichever company it is that inflicts the pain....... Wether it's Nintendo, Microsoft or even a new player (apple for example)

really?

Ok, fair enough......... 1st "corporation" to p*ss on REAL gaming companies like Sega and Nintendo.

I stand corrected.

Either way i don't like how they got in to this business and therefore will never have any respect for them.

Ronster, I completely agree with any of your posts in this thread. My primary reason for holding a grudge against Sony is that I grew up with Sega during the 8bit and 16bit era, and have identified Sony as those who essentially put them out of business. I admit that Sega made huge mistakes themselves, but _if_ it had been just Sega and Nintendo forever, I imagine that Sega would still build hardware. So I hate Sony for entering this business.

That being said, it's not really important to me that PS3 beats Xbox. On the contrary, I would love to see the PS3 fail even more than it has up till now.

Indeed Golvellius.

When will people get it in to their head that just about every playstation sold (unless people bought both) meant one less Sega saturn console sold.

How can anyone say that sony's arrival in to the gaming business didn't hurt Sega?

tut tut tut

Not important at all. What I do care about though is that competition fuels innovation and lowers prices all around the board, so if Sony manages to stay competitive is not only a plus for owners of the PS3 but for all console owners regardless of brand.

Ronster316 said:
Golvellius said:
Ronster316 said:
Lafiel said:
Ronster316 said:

really?

I stand corrected.

Indeed Golvellius.

When will people get it in to their head that just about every playstation sold (unless people bought both) meant one less Sega saturn console sold.

How can anyone say that sony's arrival in to the gaming business didn't hurt Sega?

tut tut tut

Also, (almost) all those games which appeared on PSX before the (late) N64 launch would have appeared on the Saturn instead. I wonder what would have happened to Final Fantasy whose fmv sequences probably wouldn't have fit onto an N64 cartridge.

PS3beats360 said:

How important is it to you PS3 beats 360 in console sales war?

Please answer my question. My username, threads and posts obviously tells you who I want to win this generation.

Since I own stock in Sony and not Microsoft certainly I'm rooting for Sony as I have a financial interest in one and not the other.

Currently playing:  PC:  Wolfenstein  PS2:  Final Fantasy X  PS3: All-Pro Football 2K8 Wii:  Force Unleashed  PSP:  God of War: CoO Xbox 360:  Gears of War 2  

Most anticipated game:  Dragon Age Origins (PC)