By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it so wrong to hate "casual" games?

(Before you start  shooting me with granade launchers remember:I have had Ds and Wii.I have played "casual" games like Wii fit,Brain training,Wii sports and others. I'm 17 year old who started with Super nintendo.I'm not saying that gamers who like these games are wrong, its just me)

Yes its not wrong for kids to buy these games and familys to play with their children, or playing some of these games on partys but when adults come here to defend them with mega robots and flamethrowers..

So lets start with casual games:

18m 22m1m17m0.10m

3m 0.912.5m4.2m3.2m0.3m2.84m

Yes, its not wrong for kids to buy these games and familys to play with their children, or playing some of these games on partys but when adults come to defend them with mega robots and flamethrowers..

Yes, for some people gaming should only be fun. Its indeed fun to play Brain training and Wii sports sometimes, but playing only these would make me insane.

Why the hate: I feel really sad when I see that these games have outsold many of my best games with millions.While I may forgive that games like Halo,Marios,Zeldas and GTA:s has as well outsold my favorite games, they have earned it with hard work from developers,bringing something new to world, making gaming world go forward.For example, Gears of war came to market with best graphics and cover system.

For example,  one of my fauvorite games,Metal Gear Solid 4, took 4 years to make, with huge cost, with metacritic above 90..4 hard years for Hideo Kojima and his team.I bet carnival games took half year to make, maybe half million and metacritic 56.

And yes list is pretty much Wii and DS based.Surely Ps3(Singstars),Xbox360(Lips) and PSP(Multiplatforms) has also casual games,but they won't succeed so well.

Then games like these are left in shadows, when Nintendo only  advertises games like above.

I pretty much can forgive Ds for its casual games, since it has so many great games, but not Wii.

So what I fear: Casual games take over and I won't see any games for my taste coming.This is what happend on Wii.

So I hate casual games.

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

Take my love, take my land..

i like a mix of both, heck i play Animal Crossing daily but al;so Zelda and Chrono Trigger

I can see where you're coming from, and I understand what you mean. At times, I feel the same way.
Then again, there's nothing you can do, and casual games are here to stay. In fact, there are only going to get more and more of them made.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

If there is a market for games, the games will be made. The only reason for anybody to stop making non-casual games is if non-casual gamers disappear. They spend lots of money on games, and people want that money.

Please name a single company that has stopped making hardcore games to make only casual games. Just one.

Around the Network

Well depends, I didn't cared that much that PS2 got a lot of casual games because Sony was still making games for the " daily gamer'.

I own a Sony Playstation3, PSP, and a DS which vanished into thin air. I get all my hardcore games on these systems.

I don't care about casual gamers to tell you the truth. They don't effect me whats so ever.

causal is a strange word because supposedly you'd think they'd be games that people don't play too often but it's usually the opposite, I think the better way to say it is, you don't like fitness software, virtual pets, puzzle games, and games with deformed characters or has toy brands printed on top of it. while on the other hand, you enjoy games with action, good art style, and at least a decent story.

Depends on the game and how "casual" it really is.

Basically, you are upset that people do not have the same taste as you do. Spin it any way you want and this is still what it comes down to in the end.

This is invisible text!