By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales number are in!

sharky said:
Christopher_G2 said:
I'm not sure what's going on with the DSL right now. It should have got a boost. Anyway I see the PSP maybe taking one more week on top before sliding back down. As far as software I'm not surprised at all Pokemon beat Final Fantasy CC. The gap will increase ever more down the road as Pokemon will certainly have superior legs.

Yay PSP over DS!!! I can only hope this starts a trend. When was the last time PSP topped DS? Must have been a good two years ago meaning 100 weeks or so?

As to what's "going on" with DS..maybe it's just finally saturating the market as it approaches PS2 lifetime sales?

That is why I always expected PSP to defeat DS in the end. PSP has ten years to overcome DS. Ten long years, because that is the handheld life cycle, no five years like the consoles. When PSP is 99 bucks and looks so much better graphically than DS in the coming years..DS is going to get pounded.

Unless of course Nintendo introduces a DS successor soon..the problem is Nintendo is now dependant on gimmicks, and they're running out of tricks. After a touch screen and motion control on Wii, they have no other gimmick to try. And they cant compete on power, because it would be too expensive for them.

Also, I believe last week Famitsu Wii sales were 38,000 but media create sales (which for whatever reason, seem to be the one I go with as the final word) were like 29,000. If we see a similar drop for MC numbers this week, Wii could be UNDER TWENTY THOUSAND. Amazing. I dont expect that though, I expect MC to be around 25k.

Nintendo is definitly seeing sales take a huge tumble in Japan and it will start affecting their shipment #'s negatively soon, unless the USA can continue to pick up the slack. Wii is probably going to sell like140,000 for the whole month in Japan.

Er... you know the PSP only outsold the DS because of the 77,777 special editions right? Anyway, the DS sales didn't boost because this is a Pokemon spinoff. It's selling to the already established Pokemon fanbase. Not only that, but this is the second Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. It would have been more shocking to me if it had boosted hardware sales. I don't think you can possibly call 74,000 DSes a saturated market, considering that's still FAR above the PS2's Japanese weekly average even at the peak of it's life. It averaged about 50,000 a week in Japan.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Japan&cons2=DS&reg2=Japan&cons3=PS2&reg3=Japan&align=1&weekly=1

That graph also shows that DS sales are well within normal fluctuation ranges. Both the DS and the Wii are still outselling the PS2 on a weekly basis when aligned.

The PSP sales should be higher than normal this week too due to the release of the slim, and have a chance of outselling the Wii, but not the DS. The Wii should be back up a small amount due to the release of Samurai Warriors Katana and Mario Strikers Charged. They won't return to their normal ridiculously high levels until another big game comes out. They are in a standard yearly slump, just like the PS3 (who's sales also dropped by more than 50% in the last 4 weeks). Neither system will pull out of this until a big game is released.

I prefer Media Create numbers to Famitsu...

Of course you do. They track both Nintendo systems lower. Actual sales numbers are most likely somewhere in between. One isn't more accurate than the other though.

Around the Network

Obvious reason for PSP sales is the release of the lite.

Of course you do. They track both Nintendo systems lower. Actual sales numbers are most likely somewhere in between. One isn't more accurate than the other though.

You say that like I have a grudge against Nintendo doing well? I like Media Create more because I believe they are the most accurate source for gathering sales data from Japan. They don't favor any console, hence MC recorded the PS3 reaching 1mil in Japan a few weeks later than Famitsu did.

I support both Nintendo and Sony. I have been a bit more vocal towards Sony lately because they are the ones struggling and I want to see them succeed.

sharky said:
Christopher_G2 said:
I'm not sure what's going on with the DSL right now. It should have got a boost. Anyway I see the PSP maybe taking one more week on top before sliding back down. As far as software I'm not surprised at all Pokemon beat Final Fantasy CC. The gap will increase ever more down the road as Pokemon will certainly have superior legs.

Yay PSP over DS!!! I can only hope this starts a trend. When was the last time PSP topped DS? Must have been a good two years ago meaning 100 weeks or so?

As to what's "going on" with DS..maybe it's just finally saturating the market as it approaches PS2 lifetime sales?

That is why I always expected PSP to defeat DS in the end. PSP has ten years to overcome DS. Ten long years, because that is the handheld life cycle, no five years like the consoles. When PSP is 99 bucks and looks so much better graphically than DS in the coming years..DS is going to get pounded.

Unless of course Nintendo introduces a DS successor soon..the problem is Nintendo is now dependant on gimmicks, and they're running out of tricks. After a touch screen and motion control on Wii, they have no other gimmick to try. And they cant compete on power, because it would be too expensive for them.

Also, I believe last week Famitsu Wii sales were 38,000 but media create sales (which for whatever reason, seem to be the one I go with as the final word) were like 29,000. If we see a similar drop for MC numbers this week, Wii could be UNDER TWENTY THOUSAND. Amazing. I dont expect that though, I expect MC to be around 25k.

Nintendo is definitly seeing sales take a huge tumble in Japan and it will start affecting their shipment #'s negatively soon, unless the USA can continue to pick up the slack. Wii is probably going to sell like140,000 for the whole month in Japan.

10 years? Not on your life. The only ten year handheld was the Gameboy - which was an anomaly. I also love how things like a touch screen or motion control are gimmicks, but the DPad and Analog Sticks (both things that Nintendo introduced to home consoles) are real control methods. Just because something is new and different doesn't mean that it's a gimmick. The claim about not being able to compete on power is utterly ludicrous, unless you mean it would make the consoles more expensive than the price point that Nintendo wants to meet. Nintendo has more money and deeper pockets than you'd think - as they always have monster software sales and don't sell their consoles for less than it costs to make them.

jhlennon1 said:

You say that like I have a grudge against Nintendo doing well? I like Media Create more because I believe they are the most accurate source for gathering sales data from Japan. They don't favor any console, hence MC recorded the PS3 reaching 1mil in Japan a few weeks later than Famitsu did.

I support both Nintendo and Sony. I have been a bit more vocal towards Sony lately because they are the ones struggling and I want to see them succeed.

lol that's understandable.  Sorry, I'm slightly on edge today.  I haven't slept in some 30 hours and I just finished an Anatomy exam so I'm not in the best of moods.  I would go to sleep, but I drugged myself with 4 cups of coffee and two energy drinks to make sure I could take the test, and now I can't lol.  However, I stand by "neither is more accurate than the other."

Around the Network

99000 is pretty weak sales for the PSP lite, I expected it to break 150K easily, I'm expecting it to be all downhill from here

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

choirsoftheeye said:
sharky said:
Christopher_G2 said:

10 years? Not on your life. The only ten year handheld was the Gameboy - which was an anomaly. I also love how things like a touch screen or motion control are gimmicks, but the DPad and Analog Sticks (both things that Nintendo introduced to home consoles) are real control methods. Just because something is new and different doesn't mean that it's a gimmick. The claim about not being able to compete on power is utterly ludicrous, unless you mean it would make the consoles more expensive than the price point that Nintendo wants to meet. Nintendo has more money and deeper pockets than you'd think - as they always have monster software sales and don't sell their consoles for less than it costs to make them.

LOL, the gameboy was pretty much the only previous handheld (that succeeded).

So you say touch/motion are not gimmicks..so what do you think Nintendo will do with DS2?

I dont see anything they can do. No more gimmicks.

Competing on power would be pointless. The whole entire point of Wii and DS is to not compete on power. Nintendo is a small company unlike MS and Sony and they cannot afford to bleed billions of dollars in an attempt to establish high priced technologically advanced hardware. Nintendo even refused to lose money on hardware as far back as the Gamecube. So, if they're going to refuse to lose money on hardware, they're not going to compete in the power stakes with Sony and MS, period. Besides, people have already rejected a traditional Nintendo console (Gamecube).

Here's my point regarding PSP..it's even tougher and more expensive to pack power into a handheld..because of heat, size, and the fact you pay for a expensive quality screen. However PSP is already sold millions and is in the cost reduction process. Far down that curve.

If Nintendo set out to introduce a powerful handheld, it wouldn't be markedly more powerful than PSP, because PSP is still close to handheld state of the art. But what it WOULD be is a lot more expensive. So you'd have something like a 249 DS2 competing against a $99 PSP at that time, and the DS2 might look 10% better, but not enough to matter.

I'm really interested in what Nintendo does after DS, because as far as I'm concerned they've backed themselves into a corner. Same thing with Wii. They sell on a gimmick and there are no more gimmicks on the horizon. But they cannot go back to a "traditional" console either because it's just too expensive and people have proven they dont want that from Nintendo.

The technological cutting edge gets more expensive with every generation. To compete with a hypothetical Xbox720 is going to require MASSIVE engineering and technological expenses. More than it would have taken to compete with Xbox 360 or PS3. Just as 360 was more expensive than Xbox, and PS3 more than PS2. That is why Nintendo cant play in that poker game anymore..

It must be nice living in an imaginary world where your console is beating products that don't even exist yet.

I have to say Sharky, that post in general was quite funny. For one thing, you seem to have missed the fact that the GC was more powerful than the PS2, which was the weakest system of the last generation. Then you invented systems for the other consoles to beat. Just pulled them right out of your ass, made some capabilities and price up, and said that's why Nintendo consoles are going to lose. You based this on on nothing but the fact that you yourself can't think of what they are going to do. Because obviously you are the world's leading game development genius. That's why your a millionaire working for Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft instead of a random disgruntled fanboy on a video game forum who doesn't like to see things change.

You sir have earned the "hilarious fanboy post of the day" award. Enjoy it. It's rare that someone takes that other than Soriku or Leo-j.

Meanwhile, I'm bored of the random arguments today, and all that coffee I drank earlier is finally wearing off, so I'm going to go to sleep.

the psp reminds me of the gamegear. it did well but teh weaker gameboy (which didnt have a color screen till beyond the sega neptune was released) still outsold the gamegear. its not about the "graphics" on handhelds that isnt the point if it was the neptune would've been unbelievably good being it was a 32mb graphics handheld. teh gameboy didnt have any fancy controls like the rest does now. but teh gameboy did have an successor it was called teh GBA. and usually for handhelds nintendo usually wont go above a certain price.

the psp will see a very small surge in sales but still wont catch the ds by a long shot. but then again isnt a gimmick like having dvd playback in a console, blueray player in yoru console, being able to do things other then play games in your console? then what nintendo has done is not a gimmick with teh controls fo both the ds and wii but in fact the ps3 and psp has loads of gimmicky stuff in their machines.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049