By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should require all games to use Wii motion plus.

I don't think Nintendo should mandate any peripherals for their 3rd parties. I do however wish Nintendo would make their 1st and 2nd party games make use of Wii Speak, Wii Motion+, and other peripherals like the Balance Board and the Wii Zapper more often.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

Around the Network
windbane said:
megaman79 said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
That would be as stupid as to require all games to use waggle or the pointer.

You know i think pointer control is the one thing all wii games should have. That i do agree with.

Oh really?  So how would you implement that in 2 of the system's best games:  SSBB and Mario Kart?

Easy, I would use it to navigate the menu.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
windbane said:
megaman79 said:
nintendo_fanboy said:

You know i think pointer control is the one thing all wii games should have. That i do agree with.

Oh really?  So how would you implement that in 2 of the system's best games:  SSBB and Mario Kart?

Considering the pointer uses batteries faster than the buttons and accelerometer alone, I'd say not to do that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

windbane said:
megaman79 said:
nintendo_fanboy said:

Oh really? So how would you implement that in 2 of the system's best games: SSBB and Mario Kart?

Im not saying u can't move through screen options with only the pointer but like a mouse both options are better.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

LordTheNightKnight said:
theRepublic said:
windbane said:
megaman79 said:
nintendo_fanboy said:

Oh really? So how would you implement that in 2 of the system's best games: SSBB and Mario Kart?

Considering the pointer uses batteries faster than the buttons and accelerometer alone, I'd say not to do that.

Battery power is irrelivent in this debate, the question of whether the pointer should be a standard option in all Wii games has kinda been answered every time a reviewer complains about it not being available. It should be available, its that simple.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

Yeah, that would lead to games to be just like they are now, except that they'd have a special extra "motion game" in the menu. If you choose to play this "motion game", you're taken to a new side mini game where a stick, log, pole or beam can be moved around on screen to your motion for the purpose of having something move.

Most games just don't require the inputs of motion plus, let alone become better from it.

So far we know that EA is supporting it with Tiger and Grand Slam, Sega is supporting it with Virtua Tennis and Ubisoft is supporting it with Red Steel 2. That's 3 major devs throwing support behind it practically from launch. I don't think we have to worry about adequate WM+ support.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Optional is best, IMO. Now if the Wii had originally come with Wii motion+ right from the start then having a large portion of games require it would be fine. Since it hasn't been there from the start there are at least 50 million controllers out there without WM+ (well above that I'm sure since I'm just counting the 1 remote that comes with each console), so making that mandatory would be ludicrous. Like I said having the option to enable or play the game without WM+ is best for everybody.

Also some games just don't have a need for WM+ support. Just like when the DS first came out, most games tried to incorporate touch screen/wi-fi features just to have them, but for some games that's just not necessary.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

As has been already said.Not all games benefit from it, and if made to developing some games may not be made.

3rd some shovelware are in fact very good games for young children they are not ment for those of us that would benefit.

megaman79 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
theRepublic said:
windbane said:
megaman79 said:
nintendo_fanboy said:

Battery power is irrelivent in this debate, the question of whether the pointer should be a standard option in all Wii games has kinda been answered every time a reviewer complains about it not being available. It should be available, its that simple.

It's more releveant, because of the increased battery use, not less. Throwing in pointers and Motion+ on any area that isn't needed is not only not adding anything to the game, but drains batteries when there isn't a need to.

Red Steel 2 has a need. Monster Hunter doesn't.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Yeah im talking exclusively about the pointer control and in that case all games should use it. It should be equivalent to mouse control on a pc because its the easiest and quickest method of selecting options, etc.