By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should require all games to use Wii motion plus.

megaman79 said:
windbane said:
megaman79 said:
windbane said:
theRepublic said:

Seriously? You are worried about battery use?

Not using the pointer for menus annoys me more than just about annthing in Wii games.

Wow, you are really concerned about insignificant things, huh? I thought Wii owners were all about gameplay.

WTF do you think gameplay is? Its EVERYTHING, including control and accessability of menus, etc.

If this was a debate about using a touchpad or mouse on pc's it would of ended already.

uh, no. Menus are presentation. It has nothing to do with gameplay. Menus are less than .1% of gameplay time. Notice that IGN separates presentation from gameplay and graphics. They are different.

Man, look i don't want to do this. I already said, but u didnt read it, that both options should be offered (pointer and controls) just like keyboard and mouse.

someone said it should not be required and you said all games should have it.  It's a menu.  I don't need a pointer for SSBB when the classic controller is the best for the game.  I don't need one for Mario Kart, either.  We agree it's fine as an option, I'm just disagreeing with this thread that anything should be required.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
windbane said:
megaman79 said:
lets not forget the fact that most basic casual games, the wii system menu and many other titles use the pointer feature. Its not something Nintendo are specificially trying to avoid using themselves, they actively encouraged its function from the start.

right, but to require that feature when you are going to use the classic controller for the game (such as SSBB), should not require me to pick up the pointer to select my game mode. Optional use is fine for those people like the guy above that apparently really needs that pointer for menus or he's going to hate the game, but if it's not used in the gameplay it can not possibly be required for the game. That's absurd.

What's your problem? Are you that mad that I came up with a way to use the IR pointer for virtually any game? I was even half joking and you went off the deep end to attack me.

Oh, and I do think SSBB is a great game despite the inability to use the pointer for the menus, even when you are using the Wiimote.

I don't have a problem.  You said that not having a pointer for menus was the most annoying part of Wii games.  I found that absurd.  However, my main point is that nothing should be required.  Let developers use what they want.  I know almost 20 million people have bought an exercise mat for the Wii, but I don't need that to be required for games, either.  I don't need to have every controller option ready to play 1 game.

windbane said:
theRepublic said:
windbane said:
megaman79 said:
lets not forget the fact that most basic casual games, the wii system menu and many other titles use the pointer feature. Its not something Nintendo are specificially trying to avoid using themselves, they actively encouraged its function from the start.

right, but to require that feature when you are going to use the classic controller for the game (such as SSBB), should not require me to pick up the pointer to select my game mode. Optional use is fine for those people like the guy above that apparently really needs that pointer for menus or he's going to hate the game, but if it's not used in the gameplay it can not possibly be required for the game. That's absurd.

What's your problem? Are you that mad that I came up with a way to use the IR pointer for virtually any game? I was even half joking and you went off the deep end to attack me.

Oh, and I do think SSBB is a great game despite the inability to use the pointer for the menus, even when you are using the Wiimote.

I don't have a problem.  You said that not having a pointer for menus was the most annoying part of Wii games.  I found that absurd.  However, my main point is that nothing should be required.  Let developers use what they want.  I know almost 20 million people have bought an exercise mat for the Wii, but I don't need that to be required for games, either.  I don't need to have every controller option ready to play 1 game.

How is it absurd?  What is more annoying?  I can't think of anything in the games I have played.

Good job assuming what I think, by the way.  I also agree that Nintendo shouldn't require developers to use peripherals!  The IR pointer is standard, though.  It should always be an option for menus in my opinion.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
windbane said:
theRepublic said:
windbane said:
megaman79 said:

How is it absurd?  What is more annoying?  I can't think of anything in the games I have played.

Good job assuming what I think, by the way.  I also agree that Nintendo shouldn't require developers to use peripherals!  The IR pointer is standard, though.  It should always be an option for menus in my opinion.

As long as it's optional, so those more comfortable with either way have their choice, I wouldn't object to that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs