By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Gives 64 Million Gamers the Finger

Admin edit: removed part of the article on the request of the author/website. ~BengaBenga

Last night we broke a story that has since become the talk of the town: Ghostbusters has become a timed PlayStation exclusive in PAL territories, with the other versions listed as Spring 09 (a date no doubt pending on when the delayed PSP version gets released). I was standing right beside the local Sony representative when the call arrived from her US office with the news, which was then relayed to the assembled journalists – who had gathered in Sydney, originally, to be told this information – and I got to admit to a healthy dose of shock. At the time I just got the information out to our resident news guru Mr. Lawrence who went on to tell the planet. As more information has developed over the last 12 hours that shock has turned to rage then subdued into quiet resentment.

To put it as eloquently as my current levels of frustration will allow, this is fucked! I know the Sony fanboys will want me to dance the jig and glorify this ‘fantastic news’, but I am writing here as what I am: a gamer. So let me explain the roots of my frustration.

Who benefits from this move? It would appear that Sony – whether it is through old mate Phil Harrison, or simply some upfront coin – has stepped in and, just over a month out from the release of a Ghostbusters game three years in the coming, has told the PAL audiences of four formats to wait until some undefined time in the future to play. We’ve done some quick maths and, not including the potentially limitless PC market, that is approximately 64 million gamers who’ve just been slimed.

Read the rest at http://gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/SonyMiddleFinger.aspx

Around the Network

holy fuck its just fucking Ghostbusters game.

Who cares, it is just a timed exclusive, it is better than M$ paying for games like SO 4 and ToV, with us having to guess they will come to PS3 later. Maybe Atari need the help distributing it throughout Europe?

Well good thing I have a PS3. Not that im goona buy the game though. I just really hope this does not happen with BioShock!!!!

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

About time SONY pulled that finger out of their back end.

Around the Network

MS only entered the industry to get SONY out of it, they kept us from playing JRPGS and DLC, I dont believe article, PLUS ITS SONY's MOVIE!!!!

wait is it only in the pal region?

never can it be said that only Microsoft buys games

I'll probably buy it for the PS3, now. But what if it sucks? Potentially uninformed buyers who would have purchased the game are going to avoid it (like PS3 owners with Alone in the Dark).

It's not as big of a deal (The last Ghostbusters movie was in 1989!) as one would think, but it is a surprisingly aggressive move by Sony. I just hope the pros outweigh the cons for everyone involved.

mesoteto said:
never can it be said that only Microsoft buys games

Any links to say how much SONY payed for it?