By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo: We're the only console producer with "powerful" software teams

Well every company is "arrogant" to some degree. Why some choose to use that to explain sony's downfall is beyond comprehension.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

Nintendo its a great developer software company, there's no doubt about it!

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

Before talking about nintendo being arrogant, people really should look into this and then stop being arrogant themselves:

The 20 best-selling console/handheld games, not originally bundled.
1. Nintendogs (DS – 21.67 million, all 5 versions combined)
2. Wii Play (Wii – 20.91 million)
3. Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green (Game Boy – 20.08 million approximately: 10.23 million in Japan,[43] 9.85 million in US)
4. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES – 18 million)
5. New Super Mario Bros. (DS – 17.63 million)
6. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (DS – 16.82 million)
7. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (DS – 16.48 million)
8. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2 – 14.89 million shipped)
9. Pokémon Gold and Silver (Game Boy Color – 14.51 million approximately: 7.6 million in US,[19] 6.91 million in Japan)
10. Wii Fit (Wii – 14.01 million)
11. Super Mario Land (Game Boy – 14 million)
12. Mario Kart DS (DS – 13.79 million)
13. Mario Kart Wii (Wii – 13.67 million)
14. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! (DS – 13.27 million)
15. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (GBA – 13 million)
16. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 – 12 million)
17. Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (GBA – 11.82 million)
18. Super Mario 64 (N64 – 11 million)
19. Gran Turismo (PS1 – 10.85 million shipped)
20. Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS – 10.57 million)

Have you noticed any 1st party other than all the crazyness from Nintendo? Oh yeah, GT in #8 and #19, this is really definition of pow3r! Not to mention that GT is simulator in the first place, rather than definition of game

Inhouse != First Party

beril said:
Inhouse != First Party

well, thank you for the correction (really), yet I don't think this changes my point to some extent

Around the Network

I agree somewhat with beril. The idea here is that they have strong in-house developers, something Microsoft definitely doesn't have, and Sony has fewer of (though what SCE Japan has is rather excellent, putting out stuff like LocoRoco and the Ico games), so it is mostly true.

Kinda marginalizing towards Team ICO, but not nearly so arrogant as some make it out to be.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

noname2200 said:
starcraft said:
They are for the most part.

I disagree. While I certainly favor Nintendo's games over everyone else's (and make no bones about it), it seems absurd for them to claim that Sony and Microsoft don't also have good software teams. I don't even need to get into list warz: any reasonable and objective person can tell you that the other two put out great games too, even if that person favors other software.

alfredofroylan said:

It's their financial report. What were you expecting?: "Dear shareholders our games are bad"

I expect a bit of class, rather than juvenile trash-talking. And that isn't what the quote was saying: rather than pointing out that Nintendo has kick-a** software teams (an indisputable position) it's going a step further and implying that neither Sony nor Microsoft have good first-party developers (an indefensible position).

Their game sales, and generally great critical reviews counter any feeling you have about them touting to their investors that they have the best in house teams in the industry.

Trash talking would have been saying that the other companies have BAD in house teams. There is nothing unclassy about saying you have the best, when year after year your games are the highest selling, and among the most acclaimed games released.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

maybe they mean divsions of a company rather than devs owned by the conmpany. so nintendo EAD count but retro deosnt. what do sony have?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

I don't really see what all he bitter tears are about. What Nintendo said was absolutely true and no where near the level of nonsense that spews out of Microsoft and Sony on a daily basis. Then again I guess that means that Nintendo is actually held to standards if something as harmless as this can get people to scream and cry.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Oh no, Sony is sharing it's drugs, you know, the one that causes arrogance and shit talking.