By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Behind-the-scenes troubles with Disaster: Day of Crisis

With thanks to NeoGAF for the link.

http://blog.reubenlangdon.com/2009/05/disaster-day-of-crisis-starring-reuben-langdon/

Still not sure if we will ever see this game States side. I heard that one of the major reasons for the delays was that in the original game design Monolith (game production company) was just going to use the standard controller and in the middle of production they decided to change the controls so the player would use the Wii remote. Also after we finished the mo-cap and voice over stuff, much later in the production, Nintendo bought out Monolith and Nintendo of America decided that the dialogue as is wouldn’t fly with America audiences. Bah! So almost a year later the original cast was brought in to re-record a lot of their lines. Probably the most noticeable change was changing STORM to SURGE. A lot of the other  changes were pretty minor just changing sentence structure and other stupid stuff. Not quite sure why they did it, the original sounded fine to me. Monolith wasn’t happy with the rewrites either and last i heard there were actually gonna be 2 versions of the game. I think the Japanese release stuck with the original version the one we (just Cause) created together with Monolith. Not sure about the European version, whether they went with the original or the Nintendo of America rewrite version.

I wish he went into a bit more details, but it doesn't sound like the guy was completely in the loop himself. Interesting to hear that there were dialogue changes though, especially when they sound pretty trivial.

Around the Network

Don't tell me this is why the game hasn't been released in the US.

I was really looking forward to this one, but I'm not even sure that I want it anymore. There are too many other games coming out right now.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

thats a stupid reason

"Like you know"

I wouldn't put too much stock into this as the sticking point. They often do localization work and then drop it at many stages of production. Like the original Mother for NES, which they had fully localized, and never released (though i think the ROM was leaked at some point)

The only thing this indicates is that they were seriously considering it, but dropped it somewhere along the way

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

This is what happens when Monolith decides to work on anything other than a JRPG.

Around the Network

Wait...
NOA made them change for North Americans and.... they do not want to release it in America?

Europe got the altered version (the one with Surge). Isn't it the one NOA wanted? :S

Im from the UK and purchased this last week from Game for only £9.99, here's a link for any UK users interested:

http://www.game.co.uk/Wii/Action/~r330187/Disaster-Day-of-Crisis/?s=disaster

The european version does have SURGE instead of STORM as the terrorist unit, so i dont think that the changes were made specifically for the American market.

I heard the reason it hasnt been released in the US is because of the plot involving terroism and the subject is to delicate for Nintendo of America to want to release it.

Pretty decent game imo, nothing spectacular but good fun 6.5/10

If you ask me, it wouldn't be hard to "localise" for NA, just replace all -our prefixes with -or, -ise with -ize and so on!

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

palancas7 said:
Wait...
NOA made them change for North Americans and.... they do not want to release it in America?

It surely makes sense, no?

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Terrorism isn't delicate around here >_> not since Postal 2 anyway :P

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.