By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

With this new Red Steel 2 trailer, Punch Out!! and Okami.  It is now my official favorite style of game development.  It just lets the game be a game.  Instead of trying to make it look like real life.  Don't get me wrong I like HD graphics too, but cell shading is just better in my opinion.

Around the Network

Stylish art >>> realistic art

love cel shading

well, I can't tell the difference.

i thought crackdown looked great

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

I was just thinking the same thing, how much better a game looks with a well thought out art direction rather than the pseudo realistic graphics the HD twins seems to favour. The realistic graphics still look terrible compared to real life which is the natural comparison, while cartoonish, over the top game graphics can look amazing standing on their own merit.

Wii wins again

You can have both HD graphics and cel shading (Prince of Persia comes to mind, and it's a beautiful game), but I get what you're trying to say.

Yeah, I do love Cel Shading myself. For me, It's the non-realistic art styles that grab my attention. Games like Okami, Yoshi's Island, Wind Waker... they're beautiful games that hold their own to this day. While games that push the realistic envelope are always being surpassed, games with unique art styles stand the test of time better than most.

Well it allows you to further adapt your concept and central idea to the atmosphere you wish to capture. Sometimes realistic art style will do this, but for the most part it because a limiting factor. So it is always nice to see them express their creativity in other art forms.

canvas engine >>>>>>>>>> cell shading >>>>>>>>>>>>> hd graphics >>>>>>>>>>>> ...yea, I'm not going to go there...

How do you breathe again?

Yes it is pure sexiness! Man I love how PoP, wind waker look, red steel 2 is also looking to be awesome. More please! realism on the Wii sucks I fully realized this tonight as I went form playing COD4 split screen, to red steel and MoH. Id rather be shooting sexy cartoon looking characters than jagged, smudge faced, limping attempts at realism.

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!