By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo DS sales hit 50 million worldwide

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Nintendo_DS_sales_hit_50_million_worldwide_fastest_seller_ever Nintendo's DS portable console has hit sales of over 50 million units worldwide in just under 3 years. This makes DS the fastest selling games machine of all time, and with sales set to remain high through the holidays, Nintendo should hit 60 million by the end of December.

Around the Network

Darn you, haha, I was going to post this.

It's interesting how the DS still continues selling like hotcakes even though its price remains the same.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Go Big N, Go!!! ;)

Do i remember correctly or not, didn't someone say Nintendo were going to drop the price of Dsl ? It wouldn't be wise because Ds/l is still selling like hot cakes.

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Its easy

Better design than the psp

Has mario

Alot of colors

Cheaper than psp

Is allowed in japanese schools

mM

I see about 65 million sold by year's end. 2008 could be bigger than 2007 due to Dragon Quest IX in Japan, and probable price drops.

Around the Network

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the price SHOULD drop.

It's just, historically, even some of the greatest systems have had price drops far earlier than the DSlite (to spur sales because they began to drop).

However, the DS hasn't needed it. Its sales haven't dropped like every other system typically has by now. It's continued to sell at phenomenal rates, and I think it's caught everybody off guard.

I can tell you now, my wife and I don't own 2 DS Lites and 25 games because we think it's mediocre, haha.

SW-5120-1900-6153

My dad thinks DS' are crap. He says that the only good systems are the ones from the Sony brand.

Good thing that dad's never wrong.

i see 62-63 mil by the end of 07.

and dads are usually into things that do lots of things in one [black of course] box, even if they can't understand how to use them [my dad would get as far as turning a psp on, and possibly playing music if there was some already on it]

also if DSlite price dropped by £20 [down to £80] i would get one.

leo-j said:
Its easy

Better design than the psp

Has mario

Alot of colors

Cheaper than psp

Is allowed in japanese schools

So, overall a better approach to the market than the PSP

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"