By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What exactly was wrong with Final Fantasy 12?

KylieDog said:
What was wrong?

The final Fantasy series was old and outdated. FF XII dared to pumped some new life into it.

I mean...how dare it improve the series.

Well it's one thing to improve it, and another to completely destroy it with automatic battles wich FFXII pretty much was.

Improvement? don't make me laugh they have utterly destroyed it with FFXII.

I blame the western market... So I hate you...

Thinking how much this game disappointed me makes me so damn angry....

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

I like FFXII a lot, really fun and addictive to play, I just finished all the hunts and I got most of the powerful weapons so there's not much left for me to do (but I clocked over 150 hours into that game).

The problem with it was the story and the characters. Final Fantasy games are known to have these inspiring characters that you get very attached to, or a story that'll blow your socks off. But Final Fantasy XII lacked both. The Fun factor in FFXII was great, actually probably better then the best Final Fantasy games, but the story was boring, I wasn't really rooting for anyone to win, or cared, and I hated the main character Vaan, seriously why was he the main character again? Usually I love the main character from every FF game but not this one. My favorite was Balthier.

I thought it was fairly incredible; only complaint is the fairly homogeneous cast of characters and an only-okay story.
I thought it was a damn sight better than most of the games in the series, and also showed much more mature storytelling and worldbuilding than previous games.

The gambit system, so often maligned, was amazing. You could take as much or as little advantage of it as you wanted. It's not as if SE forced you to compose a complex series of Gambits to allow your characters to function autonomously. You could also just turn them off.

I mean let's be honest, how often in older final fantasy's did you just mash "A A A A A" (or "X X X X X" or whatever button was confirm) to attack your way through tedious random battles.

I rank XII just below VI and IX, right on par with IV and X, and superior to all the others.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

I really enjoyed it. The story may have been weaker than X, but the battle system was great fun, and some of the cut-scenes were simply sublime

star wars rip off.

Around the Network
jonnhytesta said:
star wars rip off.

Please do not start this again. At least not until Khuutra finds this thread so that he can bury you with his well-constructed counter-arguments.

EDIT: I am apparently prophetic

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

jonnhytesta said:
star wars rip off.

No. Please, no. If you think that everything drawing influence from the War of the Roses or the politics of Rome rips off Star Wars, please, do not say as much, it will be better for everyone concerned.

The only thing wrong with FFXII is that it did not properly prpeare people to change their expectations.

Xxain said:
FF12 is a Xcellent game...just not a Xcellent FF game. It really had nothing in common with the series, if you took out Chocobo's, the Moogles, and a few common monsters and magic it is its own game. Not to mention that FF12 is actually Vagrant Story dressed as FF ( the creater of VS directed 12) and said its a spiritual thing, notice how Vaan looks like a human form of the main character in VS

You do realize that this could be said of EVERY FINAL FANTASY, don't you?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
It was boring. I liked the free roaming, but the battle system dragged on. The roaming felt empty most of the time on travels. Oh yeah, the script sucked as well.

This

May i add that i hated not having control over my party. I hate fucking gambits

There was nothing wrong with it. It was just not what FF fans were used to, so it divided everyone.
I personally think the game was allright. Not great, but not horrible.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!