By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What exactly was wrong with Final Fantasy 12?

Khuutra said:
Sparticus, G-Value, I don't want examples, I want reasons. I can't operate off of examples.

to be fair Khuutra, when someone doesn't like something they usually don't spend a great deal of time thinking about what they didn't like about it.  If they had to review the game sure, but when you're just playing for enjoyment you don't really analyze what is annoying you about a story or why exactly it didn't pull you in.

edit: I realize this goes against my previous statement, but I still think the "it wasn't complex because I like complex stories and I didn't like this story" is poor logic.  But thinking about it I can understand why someone may not be able to give detailed reasons for not liking a story.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:
Khuutra said:
sparticus112b said:
There was no story, the game script had to be like 10 pages long (sarcasm). There really was no substance to the story, it was story by numbers.

The battle system is ridicously boring, but I also don't care for MMO's and that's exactly what the battle system felt like to me. If you are going to let us only control one character at a time then just make it an action RPG like Star Ocean or a Tales of game.

I've never understood this complaint. The story in FF12 was easily the most complex and involved in the series, as well as easily being the most original (for a Final Fantasy). Matsuno's fingerprints are all over it. What's not to like?

I never thought it was complex ( i dont think true gamers ever think that ) it was just so fucking boring ! No "oh" or "ah" moments . It just dragged forever.

Buh?

It had some of the best and most affecting moments in the series, it just required you to pay attention and think about the implications of the things being said. "And so House Solidor lives on" is one of the most powerful lines in any game, ever.

@sparticus112b:

What makes Xenogears complex? Don't just give an example!

I thought you meant gameplay was complex. My bad . But i still inforce the idea that gamers never think of controls of being tough; they adjust to them

I literally forced myself to play most of the game before i finally decided the game was awful. I didnt want to give up on it , but i eventually did.

Khuutra said:
Sparticus, G-Value, I don't want examples, I want reasons. I can't operate off of examples.

How about you give me a reason to believe FF12's storyline was complex.

I can pretty much tell you the story in and out for Final Fantasy 1-10 but I barely remember the story from XII. It's just kind of forgetable. I watch a lot of movies and have played a crap load of RPG's and for me the story is been there done that, for you it might be completely original.

The story felt incomplete along with the characters. The characters had potentials but instead of exploring their pasts and making a story that'll challenge and change those characters everyone stayed the same. The story too had some vague theme about revenge and a reference to power and nuclear bombs, but again it felt like they only made a brief mention of it.

So rushed and incomplete sums it all up.

Around the Network

Torillian said:
to be fair Khuutra, when someone doesn't like something they usually don't spend a great deal of time thinking about what they didn't like about it. If they had to review the game sure, but when you're just playing for enjoyment you don't really analyze what is annoying you about a story or why exactly it didn't pull you in.
Point well-made and conceded, but it does not take a great deal of thought to come up with how a story was lacking if you are someone who really likes stories, as most JRPG fans are. More, I asked them what they thought makes for a complex story, not what they thought made FFXII simplistic.
hatmoza 2.0 said:
I thought you meant gameplay was complex. My bad . But i still inforce the idea that gamers never think of controls of being tough; they adjust to them

I literally forced myself to play most of the game before i finally decided the game was awful. I didnt want to give up on it , but i eventually did.
That's fair, though I'd argue that Steel Battalion's controls were pretty complex...

Torillian said:
Khuutra said:

to be fair Khuutra, when someone doesn't like something they usually don't spend a great deal of time thinking about what they didn't like about it.  If they had to review the game sure, but when you're just playing for enjoyment you don't really analyze what is annoying you about a story or why exactly it didn't pull you in.

edit: I realize this goes against my previous statement, but I still think the "it wasn't complex because I like complex stories and I didn't like this story" is poor logic.  But thinking about it I can understand why someone may not be able to give detailed reasons for not liking a story.

No i said if FF12's storyline was complex i would have loved it.

g-value said:
Khuutra said:

How about you give me a reason to believe FF12's storyline was complex.

What

I jsut said I can't qualify unless you tell me what makes for a complex story! So gives me things that make a story complex and I will do my best to qualify my statement.

KylieDog said:
What was wrong?

The final Fantasy series was old and outdated. FF XII dared to pumped some new life into it.

I mean...how dare it improve the series.

I applaud it for trying to update the series, but it failed in everything it tried to update.

• Battle System-- I think gambits are a great idea, they just made them so worthless at the beginning of the game that I didn't bother to use them.  By the time I actually started getting good ones, I just didn't care about them anymore.  If they started me with something better than Heal teammate when < 80% health I might have started using them, but they didn't so they failed.
  • License Grid-- I really liked the way it worked, I think it was another fantastic idea but they made every grid the same.  That means once you figured out the good weapons and spells, there was absolutely no reason to make characters any different.  Stats didn't matter enough to care so everyone had the same spells and everyone had the same equipment for the most part.  Why would I give them something other than the best?

I'll admit the game did a wonderful job at making me feel like I was in an MMO or living breathing world, but that's about where the praise for the game stops.

Other gripes (that I've made many times because this thread has been made many times):

Story--

God awful boring.  I realize I only got about 16-20 hours into it on both playthroughs, but a game shouldn't take 20 hours to get good.  I know it's supposed to get good around that mythical 20 hour mark but any game that takes that long to get my interest just fail miserably.

I'm sure someone like Khuutra will get all angry and talk about the complexity of the story, but just because a story is complex doesn't make it good.  That's all I'll say on that.

Characters--

God awful, annoying, and not really a reason to be there.  Character motivations were pretty much nonexistent and the ones that did have some sort of motivation I just didn't care about, which brings me to...

Didn't care--

none of the characters did anything to make me care about them.  Supposedly the pirate guy and Fran become interesting but for the first 20 hours of the game they're pirates and nothing else.  Who cares.  Ashe could have been interesting but she was such a raving bitch that I hated her and didn't care.  The supposdly dead soldier guy, he just wasn't interesting so didn't care about him.  They worked so hard on Vaan and Pinelo but THEY HAD NO REASON TO EVEN BE THERE.  That, and Vaan is one of the most annoying main characters ever made.  Who would have thought I missed the silent main character like in FFVIII?

The game didn't do anything in the first hour to get you hooked--

What was the first hour of FFXII?  You start of with princess Ashe, she dies (or so you think--OMG twist!).  You're also treated to an insanely long cut scene where you really don't do anything for 10-15 minutes.  You start off as some nobody soldier and he dies (or so you think-- OMG another twist!!) .  You start off as Vaan.  By this point I just don't trust the game so I already assume he's going to die so I already don't give a shit about him.  So what do you during this time?  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  You learn Vaan is a little shit and that's about it.

Look at a good game like FFVI, what did you do in the first hour?  You were introduced to the story, you had the really cool cut scene of walking to Narshe (that was cool back then, standard issue now), you got to play with the awesome Magitek armor, you got some mystery with Terra, you met Locke, you learned of the Returners, and you had the multiple party battle with the moogles.

That's how you draw someone into the game, not keep introducing and taking away characters and then have them pointlessly run around the town.

I mean i liked it, but it has it share it's problems, useless summons, overpowering specials, than when you get to the end, they were useless. Story, that was forgettable, it's just way too political, for my taste, also Vaan, he doesn't have any good reason to stay in the game, only thinks about being sky pirate. Also, grinding for money, man, it's definitely was really annoying, also what's up with the Zodiac Spear, you can't touch all the chest(vases) in the game, WTF.

I liked gambit system, but it only became really useful, almost at the end of the game, where you've gotten to the weakness gambits. No random encounters was nice, great combat system, if you ignore the unbalancing, Great graphics, and voice acting. Good but not great FF.