By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why third-parties always find an excuse to not work on Nintendo systems?

Zucas said:
It's not an excuse. They literally have to make an entirely different game for the Wii. In doing that it's a lot more than say porting it between PS3, 360, and PC which can all be worked on as "one". Thus they have to weigh in the risks of putting such and such game on the Wii and whether or not it will contribute greatly enough to overall profit and revenue.

However, they also have to consider whether or not if they do a Wii version to not make it cheap and bad as that will ruin the property's name on the Wii and their own developer name. So it's a difficult decision but you are starting to see a replacement for it. Instead of going full out on the PS360/PC option, they are putting more focus on Wii exclusive development more so than they probably have done for any console. Now all of these may not be games people necessarily want, although subjective, it's not as if they aren't developing for it.

This kind of treatment will probably continue throughout it's lifecycle but the exclusively developed games are getting much better and more varied as time progresses.

Good post, but I have to disagree.

First: third-party games on Wii does sells, even a port from HD consoles like CoD: WaW. If you manage to advertise well the Wii version, it'll sell, no doubt about it.

Second: they done that several times last generation. Xbox originally made games like Wreckless, Dead to Rights, Splinter Cell and TOCA Racer Driver 2 were downgraded to release on PS2. Resident Evil 4 was made for GameCube originally and was downgraded for PS2 as well. If they done that last generation, why not do this now?

Third: Wii have almost half of the world market share, so saying that people don't want it is not valid.

Around the Network
DrYon said:
Zucas said:
It's not an excuse. They literally have to make an entirely different game for the Wii. In doing that it's a lot more than say porting it between PS3, 360, and PC which can all be worked on as "one". Thus they have to weigh in the risks of putting such and such game on the Wii and whether or not it will contribute greatly enough to overall profit and revenue.

However, they also have to consider whether or not if they do a Wii version to not make it cheap and bad as that will ruin the property's name on the Wii and their own developer name. So it's a difficult decision but you are starting to see a replacement for it. Instead of going full out on the PS360/PC option, they are putting more focus on Wii exclusive development more so than they probably have done for any console. Now all of these may not be games people necessarily want, although subjective, it's not as if they aren't developing for it.

This kind of treatment will probably continue throughout it's lifecycle but the exclusively developed games are getting much better and more varied as time progresses.

Good post, but I have to disagree.

First: third-party games on Wii does sells, even a port from HD consoles like CoD: WaW. If you manage to advertise well the Wii version, it'll sell, no doubt about it.

Second: they done that several times last generation. Xbox originally made games like Wreckless, Dead to Rights, Splinter Cell and TOCA Racer Driver 2 were downgraded to release on PS2. Resident Evil 4 was made for GameCube originally and was downgraded for PS2 as well. If they done that last generation, why not do this now?

Third: Wii have almost half of the world market share, so saying that people don't want it is not valid.

Stop bringing the market share issue all the time.

You say Wii has half the workd market share yes the one game you name as being successfull on the Wii ( CoD:WaW) sold 1.12 million units on the Wii compared to 8.6 million units on the HD consoles...

And stop saying all the time that developers are stupid and don't want money...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

wfz said:
They can't compete with Nintendo's own products.

I see this alot, and I never understood it much. Nintendo first party games are indeed great, better than anything third parties have put out until now.

But what does "compete" mean here? It's not like there's dozens upon dozens of first party titles to flood the market, so why should buying first party titles exclude buying third party titles?

Can't a customer want two platformers over the years? One will be SMG, but there's still place for at least another.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Ail, just because the HD versions of CoD:WaW sold 8.6 millions doesn't means the 1.12 millions of the Wii version aren't profitable. Enough to serve as example to prove you wrong that Wii owners just buy casual and Nintendo games.

JGarret said:
theRepublic said:
They are generally afraid to compete with Nintendo.

They didn´t seem to be in the NES and SNES generations.

There was no other good place to go in those times.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

From what ive heard from 3rd party developers on podcasts, they have 2 choices.

a) Create a HD game and release it on PS3, 360 and PC with minor port cost
b) Create a game just for wii from the ground up

Have you seen the sales from Wii 3rd party exclusives?
Even monster hunter G was 130k for the first week (psp was 700k)

Its very risky to make a high budget game for the wii.
The price is another factor, the platform gets a fix amount of money, lets say $10 for every game. Its the same amount for the wii, 360 and ps3. But HD games are $60 and wii games are around $40-$50, that's less revenue for developers.

PSN = vic_haste

Derek said:
theRepublic said:
Derek said:
The only third party games that turn profits (for the most part) are mini-game compilations, or something with a Mario cameo.

More expensive, "artistic", and arguably "better" games cost more money to make, and have been barely breaking even. See: Madworld, No More Heroes. Exception: anything with Resident Evil in the title.

Until Wii owners start buying these games, I wouldn't expect things to change.

Madworld and No More Heroes were not expensive games.

They were more expensive than Pets, Horsez, or *insert mini-game compilation here*.

Except Sega and Rising Stars (European publisher) were satisfied with Madworld and NMH sales (in fact RS was thrilled with the sales).  Probably because the cost is generally much less to make for the Wii than HD. 

And you ask what your sig has to do with this... usually when someone sees that in one's sig, that implies to them that you may be a sony fanboy (not saying you are one), although in my sig my 3 fav games this gen are all Wii games n_n, so I guess I'm not one to talk :P.

^To tell the truth, in the case of MadWorld they said that they were satisfied with the very initial bunch of sales data.
It will need to sell more than 500K copies to break even though.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

People are seriously over-thinking this.

This isn't a Wii phenomenom, its something which has afflicted Nintendo systems for 3 generations.

I think the best answer therefore is: Nintendo doesn't work well with third parties. Its more Nintendos fault than the fault of the third parties.

Tease.

Galaki said:
Game developers hate money.

Agreed.

Hmm how many games on Wii fail to make profit? sure as hell can't be like on PS360 were what? 7 out of ten games fails or something like that.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints