By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet&Clank screens, demo gameplay and impressions.

HappySqurriel said:

It looks very good but saying "It looks like a pixar movie" demonstrates a lack of understanding of the effects that are used in pixar movies ... That is, unless you were claiming that it looks like a Pixar movie from 1995/1996 in which case I'd agree

I know.  Comparing it to Toy Story 1 makes sense, but Pixar movies today are damn near photorealistic (aside from the cartoony art-style).

Around the Network
dannyphantom105 said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Why is there no bump mapping in this game? The textures are all flat...

it's supposed to be flat... it looks better that way for the artistic style they're doing with the ratchet thing.

i think it looks brilliant.

I think you missed what I said and are on the defence for no reason.  The textures are flat and it's not an effect to make the game look better, it was done to reduce dev time.  For instance in the first pic if you look at the dirt on the ground you can see that there is no bump mapping, the dirt has no depth to it... it's flat... completely...  and the texture used is low res.  In the second pic the metal on the ground has no depth... the bolts are basically just flat again.  Bump mapping would have given the bolts in the textures some depth.  If you look at the robot enemy to Ratchets left side you can see some really ugly low res textures in the robots chest area.  This again would have looked much better using some bump mapping.

The last two pics could have used much better lighting.  The game is a true first gen PS3 game...  I'm sure they can easily do much better then what we are seeing in these screenshots.  Other then the higher res, I don't see anything that couldn't be done on lower spec'd hardware...  it looks great though, don't get me wrong... but it's definately not Pixar Toy Story quality. 

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

I dunno I think it look pretty good

in motion

mM
leo-j said:

I dunno I think it look pretty good

in motion

Yes it definately will...

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

It doesn't look as good as a Pixart movie, but the fact that people keep making this comparison is testament to how good it looks.

In my opinion, this is the best game so far this generation outside of Gears, UT III and maybe Call of Duty 4.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Wow. And IGN said Mario Galaxy could match the PS3/360 best efforts. The person who said must not have been in their right state of mind. The sad thing is that some fans actually beleived that load of bull.

ckmlb said:
It doesn't look as good as a Pixart movie, but the fact that people keep making this comparison is testament to how good it looks.

In my opinion, this is the best game so far this generation outside of Gears, UT III and maybe Call of Duty 4.

R&C is the best at this art style.

grandmaster192 said:
Wow. And IGN said Mario Galaxy could match the PS3/360 best efforts. The person who said must not have been in their right state of mind. The sad thing is that some fans actually beleived that load of bull.

They will see R&C commercials this holidays and wonder why their Mario does not look anywhere near as good.

Mario galaxy looks good, not as good but it does look good.

mM
Hus said:
grandmaster192 said:

They will see R&C commercials this holidays and wonder why their Mario does not look anywhere near as good.

And turn around to buy Mario because... he's Mario.

Doesn't matter if Ratchet and Clank are crusing around in their shiny new corvette or porsche.

Mario is driving a big ole four wheel drive beast of a pick-up that is busily saving busloads of orphanned Nuns (double cliche!) from cliffs, racing to get injured to the appropriate Wii-equipped hospitals, AND all in enough time to spare to shout the catchy "Itsa me Mario!" slogan that does a Wii owner's ego good.

Sadly bells and whistles don't mean anything if people aren't listening to them...