By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom disscus the Madworld sales

Capcom doesn't have to worry. The 3rd party games that do well are already popular franchises. With that said there was little hope for Madworld and a lot of hope for Resident Evil.

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
Madworld sales can't be considered poor yet.

At $50, it only needs 350k to break even,(taking into account European conversion, and the assumption it cost $12.5m in dev work/advertising overall)

It is at like 178k now at $50, ($8.9M) with 3.6M left to go, in less than 2 months.

At a reduced price of $29.99, it only needs 120k more copies.

I bet WW, it will have consistent sales of 4k for the rest of the year, and will definitely be a success by the end of it.

Then people can eat crow.

As for Capcom, RE:DC won't sell as well as UC right out the gate, but it will eventually sell better if the game is as good as Capcom claims it is.

As Ail said, the pbulisher doesn't get the full amount for what's sold to retailers.

On the other hand, I really, really doubt Madworld cost that much, even including advertising. That would make it one of the most expensive Wii games ever (second only to Red Steel, most likely).

noname2200 said:
SaviorX said:
Madworld sales can't be considered poor yet.

At $50, it only needs 350k to break even,(taking into account European conversion, and the assumption it cost $12.5m in dev work/advertising overall)

It is at like 178k now at $50, ($8.9M) with 3.6M left to go, in less than 2 months.

At a reduced price of $29.99, it only needs 120k more copies.

I bet WW, it will have consistent sales of 4k for the rest of the year, and will definitely be a success by the end of it.

Then people can eat crow.

As for Capcom, RE:DC won't sell as well as UC right out the gate, but it will eventually sell better if the game is as good as Capcom claims it is.

As Ail said, the pbulisher doesn't get the full amount for what's sold to retailers.

On the other hand, I really, really doubt Madworld cost that much, even including advertising. That would make it one of the most expensive Wii games ever (second only to Red Steel, most likely).

Red Steel is not  the most expensive Wii game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
noname2200 said:

Most expensive third-party game, then. My apologies for the omission. Or do you have information indicating otherwise?

No one should be worried about DC. I think it'll do even better than the original.

3DS FC: 1306 6473 7511

Nintendod Network ID: xsorenx

Add me for Pokemon, New Leaf, and Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
outlawauron said:
noname2200 said:

Most expensive third-party game, then. My apologies for the omission. Or do you have information indicating otherwise?

I would suppose it's the most expensive third party game. I expect the Conduit and MadWorld to be higher.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
noname2200 said:

I would suppose it's the most expensive third party game. I expect the Conduit and MadWorld to be higher.

I'm not so sure. The Conduit has a chance, since it involved creating an engine from scratch, but I doubt High Voltage has the resources to fully fund such an expensive game (and remember that the title is basically self-funded).On the other hand, they've been putting a lot of resources into it for the past two years, so...

Madworld is almost certainly not more expensive: considering the fact that Platinum Games is a start-up that's currently funding at least four games, I don't think they could afford to make their Wii game too pricey. More importantly, it'd be incredibly foolish to believe that the sequel to mega-bomba God Hand will do gangbusters, so if they DID spend that much money on development, they deserve to go out of business (again).

Plus, from what I've heard and read, they cut quite a few corners with the game. Shoot, the PAL version runs at 50 MHz. Games haven't done that since the PS1 era. None of this is to say that it was a dirt-cheap game, mind you, but I'm willing to bet the farm that it doesn't come close to Red Steel's eight-figure budget.

Voltaire said:
Publishers dont gain $25 from a sale. A Gamastruta (?) article said it cost a retailer $54 for a game theyd sell for $60.

True.

As someone who worked in retail for over 10years; games, music, movies, etc have a very small markup. So Sega probably got ~$47 or so per game in gross profit. Net before payment to developer was probably closer to $42. Granted, this last part is pure speculation.

superchunk said:
Voltaire said:
Publishers dont gain $25 from a sale. A Gamastruta (?) article said it cost a retailer $54 for a game theyd sell for $60.

True.

As someone who worked in retail for over 10years; games, music, movies, etc have a very small markup. So Sega probably got ~$47 or so per game in gross profit. Net before payment to developer was probably closer to $42. Granted, this last part is pure speculation.

You're forgetting other costs though: manufacturing, shipping, duties, royalties, etc.

noname2200 said:
superchunk said:
Voltaire said:

True.

You're forgetting other costs though: manufacturing, shipping, duties, royalties, etc.

I'm guestimating that ~$5 per game is for those items except royalties as that is part of 'payment to developer'.