By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Life on earth: a fluke or inevitability?

Roma said:
Nothing just “exists” there has to be a reason and a creator. A game can’t create it self and there is a reason to why it is created so I don’t believe in the fluke theory.

Video game don't spontaneously create themselves because there aren't conditions that facilitate it.  In comparison, the conditions in which life arose would be like having a billion copies of each part of a videogame cartridge, and then swirling them around in a votex for a billion years.  In that situation you might just get a game or two spontaneously.

Around the Network

Even flukes have a chance of happening therefore it's inevitable.

Inevitable. Chance played a big part in it though, our existence was unlikely, but it happened. I think anyone aware of the 'Rare earth theory' will agree with me.

Your standard single cell lifeform can exist in a wide variety of environments in any system within the right zone for water to exist. But complex life such as us takes a lot to reach this level.

Basically, Simple life is everywhere and life like us is rare due to the specific conditions and many variables we required to evolve to out current state.

But the flaw I find with this theory is that it is specific to lifeforms we know, not factoring others that could potentially exist in ways we can't imagine.

You know what ignore this post it's like a 0.00000000001% chance I am right.

akuma587 said:
No idea? Come on, do some research on your own. We have created relatively complex self-produced and self-replicating molecules in laboratories with similar conditions as those on early Earth within the span of a few decades. Not to mention the Earth was around for at least a billion years before any life showed up. A lot of things can happen in a billion years.

First off, they made a couple amino acids in the models, but have no idea how these amino acids would come together to form life.

Second off, the Earth did not have a billion years for life to show up.  During the first Billion or so years, up until 3.8 billion years ago, the Earth was experiencing the Late Heavy Bombardment.  In this period, vast amounts of foreign objects were continuously pelting the Earth (and all other nearby planets).  All of the oceans vaporized, and all solid rock melted.  The earliest fossils found of Earth are 3.5 billion years old (some stromatolites).  This leaves .3 billion years for primitive life to form.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

Both.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Roma said:
Nothing just “exists” there has to be a reason and a creator. A game can’t create it self and there is a reason to why it is created so I don’t believe in the fluke theory.

Video game don't spontaneously create themselves because there aren't conditions that facilitate it.  In comparison, the conditions in which life arose would be like having a billion copies of each part of a videogame cartridge, and then swirling them around in a votex for a billion years.  In that situation you might just get a game or two spontaneously.

Well sure but it was just an example to how everything started.

What I meant is that if there is nothing then how can something be made/created? That “fluke” must have started somewhere. I refer to it as the creator because there must be something created that in time became what everything is today.

I do believe in evolution (not that the same living thing just evolves but in time as they bread). You know like Pokemon now thats wrong

I argue with allot of people that say well the atom was there and the Fluke started from them but I ask them who created the atom? Well I say it is god. But then you cold ask who created god and then I would say that not everything is for us to know the answer to even if there is an answer to everything.

I believe that some have a hard time accepting that there is a creator and instead refer to it as a fluke…    

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

@Roma. And I believe that some have a hard time accepting that there is no creator and therefore we will all just turn to dust.

I believe that given the Earths relative position to the sun, size and abundance of oxygen, carbon and water life was inevitable. Getting those conditions was a fluke.

Yes everybody has the right to believe what they want of course but both will try to convince the other of which is right hehe and that in itself will never end

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Since we have no way of researching most planets and can only say that they are either gas giants or based on some kind of other material we can't really say.

It may be that it was a fluke but it may also turn out that it was bound to happen just like it happened on many other planets but in different conditions and the creatures there are based not on carbon but something else. Heck, for all we know there might be some kind of "life" in our own gas giants since we can't research them 100%.

But come on, creationism?That's just wishful thinking. Men are scared of the possibility that their existance is just a chance ocurance.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

@yanamaster.

What apart from carbon or silicon could have life based on it?

To be anything even close to what we know as life it requires rather lengthy chains of molecules and I don't know of any other substance apart from carbon and silicon that would properly fulfil that requirment.