By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Homosexuality In Games?

Words Of Wisdom said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

There's also a trans character in Streets of Rage, that was supposed to be male in Japan but female in America.

You have that backwards.

Her name is Poison.  She was a girl in the original Japanese version and wore skimpy clothes.  When they localized the game, the reaction to beating on women would have been too negative so they changed the outfit a bit and retconned her to a transexual.

Also it's Final Fight.

Around the Network

forevercloud3000 said:
Lol sry for steering off topic guys ^^

but Biggotry just makes me SO ANGRY!!! >:(

I wont speak of it anymore...

Cloud

not trying to be a jerk,

I just know that people on the otherside probably think that you don't know what you are talking about. just like you think of them---

If you make and OFF TOPIC thread I am sure they would defenfd themselves.

Oh, and for anybody bringing up Sodom and Gomorrah to somehow prove that all
Christians are supposed to hate gays... read Ezekiel 16:49.

God explains why he destroyed Sodom, and doesn't mention sexuality once. To disagree with that chapter is to disagree with a "direct quote" from God.

If you don't have your supposedly gay-hating Bible handy, here are a dozen translations.

http://bible.cc/ezekiel/16-49.htm

What's with all the final fight refrences?

I don't see the big deal at all, I've always loved Mario games.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Lightning_24 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

There's also a trans character in Streets of Rage, that was supposed to be male in Japan but female in America.

You have that backwards.

Her name is Poison.  She was a girl in the original Japanese version and wore skimpy clothes.  When they localized the game, the reaction to beating on women would have been too negative so they changed the outfit a bit and retconned her to a transexual.

That is really bad, what it is basically saying is. "It's okay to beat up a transexual because they are freaks"

Well, it's more along the lines of "Fighting men is fine, fighting women is not."  Not that it's any better IMO but it's nothing to do with the transexual part.

@Kasz : I don't know how I didn't catch that.

Okay, I found out where I was confused. Final Fight had the trans character to protect the American market from violence against women (and replacing it with violence against transgendered men who identify as women), and Streets of Rage 3 had a trans character in Japan and turned it into a non-trans character for America. And also removed a gay character.

But I was totally thinking of the Final Fight one.

Here's a really good timeline of every type of video game depiction of wacky gay characters, well-adjusted serious gay characters, gay bars, and more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_characters_in_video_games

I can't believe I haven't seen this article before.

I've got no issue with gay characters being in games. In-fact in my first play-through of mass effect my character was a lesbian. Not only that, but she slept with aliens lesbians.

Some people are gay, and thus its only natural to represent that demographic in games.

Uh... I think people put too much on sexuality to be honest... just make a good game and a good story, in fact very few games with a good story come to mind when I think of a story based on a straight guy going after a girl... most of the time it's just a badass dude or a badass chick or a rough and tumble group of kids and they save the world. Look at Final Fantasy it's usually just a group of teenagers going out and saving the world, or you have Gears, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I have no issue on sexuality. I don't mind Mario and Luigi games.