By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Homosexuality In Games?

-twesterm edit-

Even bad cartoon versions, don't post people explicit pictures.

Around the Network

The main character is obviously the gay.. eh guy, on the far left side on the last "mission". Great game btw. Commodore 64 ftw!

MAFKKA said:

Theres allready been a game where the main character was gay, or bi.
http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=2268

OMG................. that's all i have to say.

Lol sry for steering off topic guys ^^

but Biggotry just makes me SO ANGRY!!! >:(

I wont speak of it anymore...

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

axumblade said:
CHYUII said:
mesoteto said:
It will never work to trick people like that

Samus got away with it b/c the majority of the crowd was horny straight males, they saw chic in bikini and would let it slid

If it were a gay dude…epic firestorm and the game would have sales dry up among the crowd you were targeting (however the gay gamer community would grab the game with open arms)

But the group your trying to trick into it would rebel on a massive scale

Plus with the available amount of info in the net these days something that epic would never stay secret

I agree with you.

Some of the people who purchase games are already outcast without having to take on another person's cause. People who are pursecuted sometimes tend to dump on the next group.

I think about Alpha Flight, a comic, that had some popular characters in it. One of which, came out as being gay, a guy called North Star.

He was treated like the plague after.

What happens is men star ribbing other men about their associations saying if you read a book that has a gay in it you must be one too.

In gaming many men are attacked for playing as a woman character, especially if you have a choice. "Dude, why did you pick a chick."

Personally, since my goal is to play a game and not to be in a game, I always go for the prettiest character because that is what I am going to have to stare at for the duration of the game. Who pick the ugliest car or wallpaper their desktops with something they don't like?

weird. I didn't see people minding when the whole thing went down with Collossus but I guess it was just to me that it didn't matter since I only have openminded friends to talk about comic books with. x.o

Times have changed a bit, plus Colossus (Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin) is part of a well established and loved book.

AND MOST of ALL you are talking about Colossus of the ULTIMATE Marvel Universe.

If they did that in the Main Marvel Universe your point will have more wieght.

Around the Network

Generally I dont want to know the sexual preference of the characters in video games. Of course if the story involves romance the sexual preference woule be exposed automatically.

I dont like homosexuality in games though. Gay people can be there as characters, just like in movies, but a story centered around gay love wouldnt interest me.

Slimebeast said:
Generally I dont want to know the sexual preference of the characters in video games. Of course if the story involves romance the sexual preference woule be exposed automatically.

I dont like homosexuality in games though. Gay people can be there as characters, just like in movies, but a story centered around gay love wouldnt interest me.

Would you be okay with a game that gave you a choice like fable does. Because i think that's as far as it would go. I really don't think there will ever be a game where you are forced to play a gay character as the main character.

Lightning_24 said:
Slimebeast said:

Would you be okay with a game that gave you a choice like fable does. Because i think that's as far as it would go. I really don't think there will ever be a game where you are forced to play a gay character as the main character.

Yes of course.

Words Of Wisdom said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

There's also a trans character in Streets of Rage, that was supposed to be male in Japan but female in America.

You have that backwards.

Her name is Poison. She was a girl in the original Japanese version and wore skimpy clothes. When they localized the game, the reaction to beating on women would have been too negative so they changed the outfit a bit and retconned her to a transexual.

Aw crap.  Well I'm definitely more well-versed in the LGBTQ history of Nintendo than of Sega.  That does make more sense though, to get rid of the woman-beating.

With Birdo, it was just... Nintendo felt America wasn't ready for a transgendered character, so they went with a full sex-change?  I guess America's ready for transsexual dinosaurs but not transgendered dinosaurs?  I wish they would translate Captain Rainbow to English, because Birdo's gender confusion is actually a plot point in the game.

Oh, and for anybody bringing up Sodom and Gomorrah to somehow prove that all
Christians are supposed to hate gays... read Ezekiel 16:49.

God explains why he destroyed Sodom, and doesn't mention sexuality once. To disagree with that chapter is to disagree with a "direct quote" from God.

If you don't have your supposedly gay-hating Bible handy, here are a dozen translations.

http://bible.cc/ezekiel/16-49.htm